Where to fit EBL hab panel and B2B +12v feeds

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
20+ years in 1990 VW T3 and Florida. Hymer now...
Hymer Exsis 2015

Hopefully a quick answer, but am I OK to connect the fused supply for the EBL (for the hab panel above the door) and the B2B battery voltage sensing wires to the +ve busbar or do they have to fit to the battery post?

I'm thinking it's only when the 2000w inverter is on full chat that there'll be a voltage drop. Will this cause any unforeseen issues?

Thank you

OP
OP
growly_bear
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
Opinions anyone?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't understand the question, surely the control panel is already connected to the EBL by Hymer.
The sence wire for the B2B should be connected to the D+.

OP
OP
growly_bear
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
Sorry Lenny HB , I'll start again!

I'm finally installing my B2B and lithium and have a question regarding a few wires...

I've got +ve and -ve wires on the EBL99 block 2 which were originally connected to the hab battery posts, and I'm wanting to know whether I can fit them to the +ve and -ve busbars rather than taking them to the battery posts. I think that they measure the voltage for the Hab panel display.

I'm also fitting a Renogy B2B with solar. This unit has connections for a D+, a hab battery voltage sense, and a temperature sensor. I'd like to know whether the battery voltage sense wire could also go the positive busbar.

It'll make the install neater, and gives me more space for the associated fuses.

Thank you

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Mine go to the bus bar which is connected directly to the battery. To be honest, I don’t take any notice of the EBL battery voltage as I fitted a shunt when I went to lithium.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
On the EBL99 I thought block 2 pin 1 was for the starter battery input 20amp connection for the fridge HC supply with other pins being used for the leisure battery sensor (2a) along the D+ signal (2amp)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would connect the sence wires direct to the battery (via 2 amp fuse).

On the B2B I don't think you need the sence connection with Lithium.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
In theory you should connect the battery voltage sense wires directly to the battery terminals. The purpose of the sense wires is that the charger knows the exact voltage of the battery, without any errors due to voltage drop along the power wires. However if the wire from battery to busbar is short and thick, the voltage drop will be minimal. And if the inverter is running at anything like full power that will only be for a short time, hopefully, so no need to worry too much.
On the EBL99 I thought block 2 pin 1 was for the starter battery input 20amp connection for the fridge HC supply with other pins being used for the leisure battery sensor (2a) along the D+ signal (2amp)
Those sense wires are only for the EBL charger, the Renogy charger also uses its own voltage sense wires. This is why I like Victron stuff, it all plays together nicely, and the voltage and amps gets reported to all the chargers over Bluetooth or the Victron network.

Last edited:
OP
OP
growly_bear
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
In theory you should connect the battery voltage sense wires directly to the battery terminals. The purpose of the sense wires is that the charger knows the exact voltage of the battery, without any errors due to voltage drop along the power wires. However if the wire from battery to busbar is short and thick, the voltage drop will be minimal. And if the inverter is running at anything like full power that will only be for a short time, hopefully, so no need to worry too much.

Those sense wires are only for the EBL charger, the Renogy charger also uses its own voltage sense wires. This is why I like Victron stuff, it all plays together nicely, and the voltage and amps gets reported to all the chargers over Bluetooth or the Victron network.
Thank you for your detailed reply. The busbar to battery wire is 400mm long and 35mm2.

Just to help me to understand further, the EBL sense wires which you say are for the charger, is that for when it's connected to EHU? Also, and I'm probably wrong, but I thought that when I disconnected them the hab display above the door stopped working?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Just to help me to understand further, the EBL sense wires which you say are for the charger, is that for when it's connected to EHU? Also, and I'm probably wrong, but I thought that when I disconnected them the hab display above the door stopped working?
There's a microchip inside the EBL99 that the sensor wires go to. They are used for the mains charger while on EHU, but also for other things like switching off all the 12V power if the battery voltage goes extremely low. If the 2A fuse on the sensor wires blows, the EBL just stops working.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
growly_bear
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
There's a microchip inside the EBL99 that the sensor wires go to. They are used for the mains charger while on EHU, but also for other things like switching off all the 12V power if the battery voltage goes extremely low. If the 2A fuse on the sensor wires blows, the EBL just stops working.
Thank you for that. Now to order a small fuse box!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back