Where do I start? (1 Viewer)

mark bakes

Free Member
May 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
don’t own one yet
Hi everyone

After 20 years of flogging myself in the food industry , I’m out and want to retire at 55. We intend to be out on the road by the end of next summer. We have considerable sailing experience and so are used to practical issues. However, we just want to relax and the issues with anchorages and marinas have resulted in us looking for a life on the road.

We are at the very start of our search , so sorry if some of this sounds newbie.

We are U.K. citizens and intend to apply for an extended visa to travel extensively around Europe.

We have rented in the past both small vans and a 7m. We are looking for advice as to where to start - after some thought I’ll make the following points -
1. Don’t want a huge motor home due to concerns about access to smaller towns
2. Want more room than a smaller campervan.
3. Basic needs - kitchen with oven, fridge, freezer
Bathroom with shower
Twin beds with separate eating area (there’s two of us and our dog)
4. Indoor storage for 2 mountain bikes
5. Off grid power (batteries , solar)

We will mainly use the camper for full time living with sporadic stays in hotels as opposed to buying a smaller van which would probably result in sporadic stays in the van and mainly in hotels.

We’re not really restricted by budget but prefer higher quality finishes.

We are looking at Hymer next weekend but are a bit concerned about the reviews that most brand dealers seem to have. Like the look of the 580 MLT

Starting research now as delivery times on some models seems to be over a year.

Thanks

Mark

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Hi everyone

After 20 years of flogging myself in the food industry , I’m out and want to retire at 55. We intend to be out on the road by the end of next summer. We have considerable sailing experience and so are used to practical issues. However, we just want to relax and the issues with anchorages and marinas have resulted in us looking for a life on the road.

We are at the very start of our search , so sorry if some of this sounds newbie.

We are U.K. citizens and intend to apply for an extended visa to travel extensively around Europe.

We have rented in the past both small vans and a 7m. We are looking for advice as to where to start - after some thought I’ll make the following points -
1. Don’t want a huge motor home due to concerns about access to smaller towns
2. Want more room than a smaller campervan.
3. Basic needs - kitchen with oven, fridge, freezer
Bathroom with shower
Twin beds with separate eating area (there’s two of us and our dog)
4. Indoor storage for 2 mountain bikes
5. Off grid power (batteries , solar)

We will mainly use the camper for full time living with sporadic stays in hotels as opposed to buying a smaller van which would probably result in sporadic stays in the van and mainly in hotels.

We’re not really restricted by budget but prefer higher quality finishes.

We are looking at Hymer next weekend but are a bit concerned about the reviews that most brand dealers seem to have. Like the look of the 580 MLT

Starting research now as delivery times on some models seems to be over a year.

Thanks

Mark
Welcome to the fun.

There is a buying guide in the resources section visible to members.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
You will need to subscribe for access to the resources section I think, Hymer are a good brand, at least older ones are solidly built, European built motorhomes tend to be better constructed then British ones. If you intend to buy second hand from a dealer make sure you research the dealer thoroughly, not all are good with warranty issues.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome!
I also came to a m/h after 27 years with yachts.
Here's the guide...........

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
welcome jurassic park GIF

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!