Where are all the Brits? (3 Viewers)

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
You are forgetting that the UK government were offered the opportunity to negotiate lots of things like this but chose not to do so. We Brits were party to making all these rules when we were members of the club. The “Get Brexit Done” brigade decided to make as acrimonious a split as possible and you are now suffering for what was voted for. People like touring musicians lost out badly.

Absolutely. Others who lost out…

UK Fruit growers/exporters
UK Fishermen
UK importers
UK exporters
UK manufacturers
UK based multinationals with long logistics chains
UK consumers
UK tourists
An entire generation of UK youth
UK science and research
UK expats with fixed £ incomes
UK transport companies
UK taxpayers (yep, we have had to pay for all these enormous inland import processing centres to be built - eg Severington Kent, almost a new town)
..and of course the flatline UK economy

The only benefit is a huge increase in our multiculturalishness as we’ve replaced all those highly trained and qualified, highly motivated (but hateful stealing our jobs) europeans (yes we are getting old so immigration is absolutely necessary) with lots of lovely low skill family-members-of-‘student’ Africans and Asians, and all those brave middle eastern and African single guys and their dingies.

Cue the ranting. But many in UK are still in denial and needs to hear some truth about the consequences of their decision.

We voted with our feet and moved to France and as such no longer give much of a toss about what happens in the UK. The French union types refer to working class brexity brits as turkeys that were persuaded to vote for Christmas by farmers :), so it’s often difficult not to join in the constant mirth making and amusement that the UK evokes on the continent these days :)

Mar 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala
We have not pluck up the courage to go abbroad yet,as we are not experienced enough and have a Cockapoo. Hopefully one day we will get there as we really would loved to do it.

our first time too with our cockapoo..been fab..go for it..try not to worry..do a bit of planning.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
It’s true that there are less Brit registered campers out and about on the continent these days. I’ve been doing this 30 years and I’d say the peak in terms of Brits seen on the continent was the mid 2010s. €1.50 to the £,
a relatively buoyant, strong economy and of course easier travel.

I’d venture it’s a mixture of the reduced value of the £, the ever struggling UK economy which seems to be hitting the brit middle classes quite hard, inflation driving up the cost of fuel, crossings, insurance and the additional costs and restrictions for travellers as a result of you know what which has somewhat compounded all the above and added more costs (ie insurance, AHC, etc).

It started about the time of the 2008 financial crisis and hasn’t ever really got back to where it was.

Fact is we all have a bit less cash these days and our money is both less valuable and just doesn’t go as far as it used to, especially if we are on a fixed income. When this happens one of the first things that gets cut back on are hols and travel.

I really don’t think there are less Brits travelling than before, it’s the exponential growth of other nationalities motorhoming for extended periods around ‘hot spots’ which creates the impression of less Brits.

This means as a percentage, there are less because of the huge growth in other nationalities, but numerically I’d be surprised if British Mohomers in the EU is probably higher than ever.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We’ve been back 2 weeks now from a 7 week trip to Spain. Nice mix of touring about and relaxing. Loads of Brits exactly where you’d expect to find them Costa del Sol and Beni but not many elsewhere.

I don’t think it’s changed much. This was our first trip back to Spain since Autumn 2019.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
I really don’t think there are less Brits travelling than before, it’s the exponential growth of other nationalities motorhoming for extended periods around ‘hot spots’ which creates the impression of less Brits.

This means as a percentage, there are less because of the huge growth in other nationalities, but numerically I’d be surprised if British Mohomers in the EU is probably higher than ever.

Surely this just proves the point? - As a proportion of the total we are less than before. If there has been ‘huge growth in other nationalities’ - then why hasn’t the same happened for us??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It’s true that there are less Brit registered campers out and about on the continent these days. I’ve been doing this 30 years and I’d say the peak in terms of Brits seen on the continent was the mid 2010s. €1.50 to the £,

I’d venture it’s a mixture of the reduced value of the £, the ever struggling UK economy which seems to be hitting the brit middle classes quite hard, inflation driving up the cost of fuel, crossings, insurance and the additional costs and restrictions for travellers as a result of you know what which has somewhat compounded all the above and added more costs (ie insurance, AHC, etc).

It started about the time of the 2008 financial crisis and hasn’t ever really got back to where it was.

Fact is we all have a bit less cash these days and our money is both less valuable and just doesn’t go as far as it used to, especially if we are on a fixed income. When this happens one of the first things that gets cut back on are hols and travel.

I understand why you say that but I see differently in the shops when I’m out, I see people spending money and lots of it.
Restaurants and cafes are full, drive ins and people walking around with £5 cups of coffee, I live on a mixed road of workers and benefits people and the cardboard boxes of delivered goods out for rubbish day and Amazon turning up several times a day…

And this is poor Cornwall… several members of my family who live in Surrey say they’re always skint are going to Jamaica, Maldives to name a few this year…

I think there’s a lot of money around….🤔

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Surely this just proves the point? - As a proportion of the total we are less than before. If there has been ‘huge growth in other nationalities’ - then why hasn’t the same happened for us??

Yes agreed, but not what you said in your post! 🤪

IMHO Numerically Brit vans are static in number, but proportionally (subjectively feels) less due to explosion in MoHo’s for NL and D markets. ✔️

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Absolutely. Others who lost out…

UK Fruit growers/exporters
UK Fishermen
UK importers
UK exporters
UK manufacturers
UK based multinationals with long logistics chains
UK consumers
UK tourists
An entire generation of UK youth
UK science and research
UK expats with fixed £ incomes
UK transport companies
UK taxpayers (yep, we have had to pay for all these enormous inland import processing centres to be built - eg Severington Kent, almost a new town)
..and of course the flatline UK economy

The only benefit is a huge increase in our multiculturalishness as we’ve replaced all those highly trained and qualified, highly motivated (but hateful stealing our jobs) europeans (yes we are getting old so immigration is absolutely necessary) with lots of lovely low skill family-members-of-‘student’ Africans and Asians, and all those brave middle eastern and African single guys and their dingies.

Cue the ranting. But many in UK are still in denial and needs to hear some truth about the consequences of their decision.

We voted with our feet and moved to France and as such no longer give much of a toss about what happens in the UK. The French union types refer to working class brexity brits as turkeys that were persuaded to vote for Christmas by farmers :), so it’s often difficult not to join in the constant mirth making and amusement that the UK evokes on the continent these days :)
Sadly I think you actually believe all that as well.

Also has sod all to do with somebody not seeing a few British vans.

Brexity brits living rent free in your head by the sounds of it

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006

We have been visiting France for about 40 years and bought a house here in 1989. I would accept most of this as reasonable but, at the time of the financial crisis, we had the money from selling a British property sitting in a bank on the Isle of Man while we de,cided on our long-term plans. Then the bank collapsed and we just had time to get some of the money out into Euros at 2.41 to the £. We took that reluctantly thinking there was still some doubt about the future of the Euro! It has never been anywhere near it since and actually hit parity once.
I think a lot of people have bigger aspirations now than european holidays and fly further afield.

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
We have been visiting France for about 40 years and bought a house here in 1989. I would accept most of this as reasonable but, at the time of the financial crisis, we had the money from selling a British property sitting in a bank on the Isle of Man while we de,cided on our long-term plans. Then the bank collapsed and we just had time to get some of the money out into Euros at 2.41 to the £. We took that reluctantly thinking there was still some doubt about the future of the Euro! It has never been anywhere near it since and actually hit parity once.
I think a lot of people have bigger aspirations now than european holidays and fly further afield.
€2.41 to the £? Lucky you. There is likely to soon come the day soon when people will think Pound-Euro parity is a good deal. The long term trend is sadly only in one direction.

AC4AF069-31FF-4C46-A3AE-D4021A8794CE.jpeg

With the UK’s reliance on financial services, the 2008 financial crisis hit us very hard as can be seen, yet the £ was still recovering, it was back to €1.40 by 2016 when of course the brexit vote permanently torpedoed the value of our currency.

When the impoverished people of the UK insist on another referendum to rejoin in about 15-20yrs, led by the youth, it’s equally sad that a condition will be the adoption of the Euro, so at least the exchange rate misery won’t be forever :)

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
We have not pluck up the courage to go abbroad yet,as we are not experienced enough and have a Cockapoo. Hopefully one day we will get there as we really would loved to do it.

It's our first time - we have been trying for a couple of years but things kept getting in the way!
I have to say it's well worth the effort. Driving on the other side of the road seems completely normal & generally the roads are quieter apart from the big cities which are horrendous (mins you probably the same as Birmingham or London!)
We've never been so blasé about not booking the next stop as there seems to be plenty about - it's more about the cost & facilities.... We normally have to have the next stay booked at home 🤣
Wouldn't have a clue about dogs as we prefer our freedom 😁 (only just got rid of the kids at 27 & 33 🤣)

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
Sorry for the bluntness - but it is the devalued currency. When you devalue your currency you devalue your country. Everything. Our labour, our wages, our savings, our assets. All are devalued.

Not the first time it’s happened. The rot started in 1967, government 50% devaluation. Then 1976, UK applied for largest loan ever from IMF. 40% devaluation. Then 1984. Each time we recover. Then Soros, ERM exit. Again recovered. Above $2 in 2007. Then the financial crisis. (see above). But there was still recovery.

Then you know what. There has been no recovery.

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Why is it I get the feeling that British people have a dislike for other British people..??
We are a great nation, like all nations we do have faults, but the commenting is becoming tiresome….If you loath the U.K. so much you can move away if you like…??
Quite the opposite - that's why I was asking where you all are!

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Why do Brits come to Europe in search of other Brits? Are they becoming so few on the island?
It's not a matter of searching for other Brits - I'm just curious as to where they are. Considering the explosion of motorhomes in the UK since COVID and watching various groups online I know there are loads over here.
As a newbie to European travelling I just thought I'd see a few more, however, when you consider the size of Europe to the UK I suppose it's hardly surprising really!

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Plenty of Brits in Tavira. Same can be said of German, Dutch and French too, with a sprinkling of French, Spanish and Irish. A wonderful melting pot of cultures and languages

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Sorry for the bluntness - but it is the devalued currency. When you devalue your currency you devalue your country. Everything. Our labour, our wages, our savings, our assets. All are devalued.

Not the first time it’s happened. The rot started in 1967, government 50% devaluation. Then 1976, UK applied for largest loan ever from IMF. 40% devaluation. Then 1984. Each time we recover. Then Soros, ERM exit. Again recovered. Above $2 in 2007. Then the financial crisis. (see above). But there was still recovery.

Then you know what. There has been no recovery.
And yet there are more people spending more money on motorhomes than they probably did on their houses a few years ago! Considering that you can't get a new motorhome for much less than £70k there was still a waiting list list in the last few years....
It's also still quite a bit cheaper to live/travel on the continent than the UK, possibly with the exception of fuel in France which is possibly slightly more?

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Might it have something to do with the churlish way the French (and others) are refusing to row back on the stupid post Brexit pet passport rules? Adding something like £300 and quite a bit of inconvenience to just one trip is a major consideration.
Well we did leave the club, so we have to accept the consequences. But in general if getting to mainland Europe becomes more difficult/expensive then it can contribute to folk not wanting to bother.

Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg

Why not post on here for someone to make first part of trip with for a couple of days and plan your trip that way, then go your separate ways once you are confident. We always take our labrador via the tunnel its real easy and returned that way last weekend.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
It's our first time - we have been trying for a couple of years but things kept getting in the way!
I have to say it's well worth the effort. Driving on the other side of the road seems completely normal & generally the roads are quieter apart from the big cities which are horrendous (mins you probably the same as Birmingham or London!)
We've never been so blasé about not booking the next stop as there seems to be plenty about - it's more about the cost & facilities.... We normally have to have the next stay booked at home 🤣
Wouldn't have a clue about dogs as we prefer our freedom 😁 (only just got rid of the kids at 27 & 33 🤣)
I rather envy the freshness of your experience; we have become a bit blasé. Just don’t get complacent about driving on the right. It can bite you.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
And yet there are more people spending more money on motorhomes than they probably did on their houses a few years ago! Considering that you can't get a new motorhome for much less than £70k there was still a waiting list list in the last few years....
It's also still quite a bit cheaper to live/travel on the continent than the UK, possibly with the exception of fuel in France which is possibly slightly more?
The cost of living in France is generally high, with the notable exception of wine for home consumption, but the quality of life is good so we don’t dwell on it too much.

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
France was expensive compared to Belgium 60 years ago on my first trip.Last monthwe had 10 days in Fuerteventura at a cost of £2080. In 2 weeks time I expect to pay that for 35 night atEuronat, not the cheapest campsite in France either . I think many more people are travelling eastwards rather than France and Spain from what ikeep reading

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Not sure what people want, everyone is different. €2 24 hours to park here. Just north of Torremolinos. Had a fantastic day, a couple of beers each in the local bar, and will still come in at less than €20 for the day after an evening walk with an ice cream. 😎☀️👍

IMG_2877.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back