When to Winterise?

FEC

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
6 months into the adventure
Morning Funsters, Apologies if this has been asked before, or is common knowledge -but I was wondering if there is any consensus on when to winterize the MH. For context, ours is kept in storage and we normally don't use it much after November. We know the procedure for doing this but I was wondering about timing...there could be some cold nights in October and there will be water in the boiler so do folks just keep their eye on the forecast and hop to it if there is a cold snap? Or wait till we are in the full teeth of winter in December before doing this (assuming they don't keep using the MH during the colder months obvs). I know this will largely depend on how we all use the MH, but for those who still use it in Oct/Nov, do you bother winterizing the van as a precaution in Oct even though you know you will use it periodically and will have to reverse the process?
Would be interested to hear the wise counsel of more experienced funsters as we have only been through one season of MHing so far. Thanks 🙏👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat
This is my first winter with the van so perhaps I'm a bit paranoid but I already drained all water and set the heating to 10 degrees. Our van is also in storage - so remote from us and running on LPG.
I also bought a data logger that logs the temperature and humidity every 10 minutes. It produces graphs so I can easily see how high the humidity is getting 24x7. I'm aiming to keep it below about 80% to avoid any condensation forming.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
SwiftKontiki Gr Prix
Exp
Since 2002
Morning Funsters, Apologies if this has been asked before, or is common knowledge -but I was wondering if there is any consensus on when to winterize the MH. For context, ours is kept in storage and we normally don't use it much after November. We know the procedure for doing this but I was wondering about timing...there could be some cold nights in October and there will be water in the boiler so do folks just keep their eye on the forecast and hop to it if there is a cold snap? Or wait till we are in the full teeth of winter in December before doing this (assuming they don't keep using the MH during the colder months obvs). I know this will largely depend on how we all use the MH, but for those who still use it in Oct/Nov, do you bother winterizing the van as a precaution in Oct even though you know you will use it periodically and will have to reverse the process?
Would be interested to hear the wise counsel of more experienced funsters as we have only been through one season of MHing so far. Thanks 🙏👍
Most modern day motorhomes are fitted with tank heaters to avoid freezing, I know mine has; and we use our Kontiki all year round

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I also bought a data logger that logs the temperature and humidity every 10 minutes. It produces graphs so I can easily see how high the humidity is getting 24x7. I'm aiming to keep it below about 80% to avoid any condensation forming.
Don't overdo the Prozac.
:wink:

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
2 years
This time of year i drain everthing at the end of each trip if on site with grey water grid drop grey water fresh water and flick the switch to drain boiler leave internal taps open and hopefully the drivr home shakes any water out rather be safe than sorry 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
This is my first winter with the van so perhaps I'm a bit paranoid but I already drained all water and set the heating to 10 degrees. Our van is also in storage - so remote from us and running on LPG.
Do the Storage Site allow you to run gas heating? Seems a bit excessive, not to mention a risk to the other units.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Do the Storage Site allow you to run gas heating? Seems a bit excessive, not to mention a risk to the other units.
Excessive! Oh... well, the guy I bought the van from said he kept the heating on all over winter but powered via hook-up to his house.

With being new to motor-homing and that being the only guidance I've had on the subject, I assumed that was standard practice.

Some posts here talk about opening doors/windows on warm days but I can't as the van is stored remote.

I would prefer to use mains as power source as it's slightly better, environmentally. But it's not an option.

So that's why I've read and posted to this thread - to find out what I need to do to avoid any damage over winter.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm monitoring the humidity so I'll be ramping the heating down as much as possible, ideally turning it off altogether.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back