When to Winterise?

FEC

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
6 months into the adventure
Morning Funsters, Apologies if this has been asked before, or is common knowledge -but I was wondering if there is any consensus on when to winterize the MH. For context, ours is kept in storage and we normally don't use it much after November. We know the procedure for doing this but I was wondering about timing...there could be some cold nights in October and there will be water in the boiler so do folks just keep their eye on the forecast and hop to it if there is a cold snap? Or wait till we are in the full teeth of winter in December before doing this (assuming they don't keep using the MH during the colder months obvs). I know this will largely depend on how we all use the MH, but for those who still use it in Oct/Nov, do you bother winterizing the van as a precaution in Oct even though you know you will use it periodically and will have to reverse the process?
Would be interested to hear the wise counsel of more experienced funsters as we have only been through one season of MHing so far. Thanks 🙏👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Weather forecast modelling has gotten so good, you are almost guaranteed a 5 to 7 day notice of when freezing temperatures will be coming.
NB ; if your storage facility is in a valley in the countryside, temperatures will be considerably colder at night than the values given by whatever media you use.

Reactions: FEC
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I drained down my fresh and grey tanks last week as it's far quicker to refill them than replacing frost-damaged pipes and taps.
I upturn cushions, mattresses and remove bedding later when I'm unlikely to be be going out again before Spring, except for a fortnightly 20 to 30 miles run to rub any rust of the brake shoes/discs, keep the mechanicals 'loosened up' and have the tyres come to rest in a different position.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Depends where you live, being in the south coast do it if we get a frost.
You being in Derby I would be thinking about it mid October.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Im off to Thailand on 15th Oct for 2 months so will drain it out now .... If i need it during the winter its easy to refill again as required

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FEC

FEC

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
Weather forecast modelling has gotten so good, you are almost guaranteed a 5 to 7 day notice of when freezing temperatures will be coming.
NB ; if your storage facility is in a valley in the countryside, temperatures will be considerably colder at night than the values given by whatever media you use.
Thanks for this and a good point -our storage is in the countryside so that's defs a consideration -thanks duly noted (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FEC

FEC

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
I drained down my fresh and grey tanks last week as it's far quicker to refill them than replacing frost-damaged pipes and taps.
I upturn cushions, mattresses and remove bedding later when I'm unlikely to be be going out again before Spring, except for a fortnightly 20 to 30 miles run to rub any rust of the brake shoes/discs, keep the mechanicals 'loosened up' and have the tyres come to rest in a different position.
Thanks and good to know that others are doing this now -wasn't sure if folks waited till later in the year but this makes a lot of sense -thanks for the feedback (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FEC

FEC

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
Im off to Thailand on 15th Oct for 2 months so will drain it out now .... If i need it during the winter its easy to refill again as required
Thanks and yes it makes sense and I guess it is quick enough to do. We are having a few days away in the October half term and then will put it to bed properly -apart from the daily run outs to keep the mechanicals ticking over. I will keep my eye on the forecast in the meantime and drain down properly after our October jaunt. Thanks again (y)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Drain down and open taps and shower; if there is residual water, it will come out rather than block up with ice and break something. One could manually turn the frost valve on the boiler but mine certainly does the job itself for that small drop of water that remains.

We take bedding home, everything else is left inside but in a position that will enable air to circulate around, so pretty much scattered about the place. Lockers open and beds and benches lifted up, again to enable good airflow (although this might be unnecessary).

Fridge and freezer doors opened too of course

Absolutely, so long as the weather permits, go on the monthly 30min drive. Keep the revs up to get the temperature up quickly.

I've pretty much done all of the above and will double-check this weekend as I need to fix a few bits plus, a) it is starting to get colder and b) we have decided that for this year we have other plans so we are unlikely to use the Moho until next year.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
We only winterise when not in use because of potential hard frosts and freezing conditions but we do use our MH all year round. Good idea to winterise from now on every time you are not using it. OUrs going back to storage after each use and completely drained down at this time of year.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I always empty the water if in storage, even in good weather as it doesn't take long to fill up again. In Eastbourne we only had a couple of nights with frost last year but our storage is inland in the country and on high ground.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FEC

FEC

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
All good ideas -glad I asked as I think I'm late to the winterizing party -will keep my eye on the forecast and if it remains above freezing will do it in full after our October jaunt -likely the last major one before Christmas (y)

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We don’t mess about with any of that malarkey ……… we go to Spain for the winter. :whistle2:

I know…:getmecoat:

Upvote 0

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We will not be away again this year so have just drained it this week and am in the process of the emptying of the inside which I use as an opportunity to get rid of anything not needed. If we were away later in October as we have sometimes been I would just be keeping an eye on the weather forcast and draining at any hint of frost. We are fortunate in that van is outside house, so easy to do.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
I forgot, I also drain the toilet cistern. If your unit has such a thing suggest doing this too. I've a contraption to enable cistern drain, plus I ensure the pump runs dry as it's quite exposed being against the outside wall and it cracked a year or so ago due to ice I think.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We will not be away again this year so have just drained it this week and am in the process of the emptying of the inside which I use as an opportunity to get rid of anything not needed. If we were away later in October as we have sometimes been I would just be keeping an eye on the weather forcast and draining at any hint of frost. We are fortunate in that van is outside house, so easy to do.
Mine's also in my drive and on dry sunny days I have the hab door and windows open all the while I'm at home. I leave them open until the evening when the temp inside is the same as outside to avoid trapping the warmer more moist air inside. It has worked well for the past 11 years as not had a trace of interior condensation or damp.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I drained mine down last week even though we will go away in it at least 3-4 nights a month over winter.
Peace of mind and it doesn't take long to either drain down or refill.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back