When to buy fuel?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
It seems that diesel prices have started dropping again, locally at least - the big question is, will this continue into the New Year, or is time to fill up for winter now? We're not planning any trips until the end of January.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Unless it drops considerably dont bloody bother , in the long run it makes very little difference.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I am not super rich but. It costs the same to fill up half a tank from empty as it does to fill a half tank full to full,plus the condensation and in an emergency you ahve a good number of miles on call should you need them before looking again. Both vehicles here are Brimmed,just a thought from over the years,one less thing to worry about before you hit the frog 'n toad.
Tea Bag. 🚛

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Was always taught to fill tank to stop condensation forming in the air space if tank was left low.
Unfortunately the Fiat Ducato 60 litre and 90 litre tanks are the same size, with 60 litres in there is always a large volume of air above the fuel.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
It seems that diesel prices have started dropping again, locally at least - the big question is, will this continue into the New Year, or is time to fill up for winter now? We're not planning any trips until the end of January.
You'll spend more than the couple of quid saved by driving to get the cheaper diesel so don't bother. A month with a low tank of fuel ain't going to do any damage

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
What? The same size? How's that then?:confused:
There is a restrictor tube on the 60 litre tank models which cuts of the forecourt pump when 60 litres is reached, I have removed it on mine and it now takes 90 litres. The reason Fiat do it is to increase the payload avaliable.

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
There is a restrictor tube on the 60 litre tank models which cuts of the forecourt pump when 60 litres is reached, I have removed it on mine and it now takes 90 litres.
The number of times that I have had to pay around £100 at the kiosk, I am thinking I have the 90l tank.:eek:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I have never brimmed the fuel tank, cant see that carrying around 30-40kg of extra fuel was advantageous. Never had any problems with fuel supply or condensation in fuel.

Geoff
I exact opposite.. never let tank go below 1/4 and always fill right up... maybe harks back to all them years as a tugger.... nothing worse than dragging c'van to and thru a garage forecourt.

Kozikot

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Paid 1.18 last week (AND THAT WAS EUROS!!!)
:Grin::Grin::Grin:
Where was that ? as that's under £1 a Liter, I paid £1.02 a Liter on the Rock Yesterday...

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Where was that ? as that's under £1 a Liter, I paid £1.02 a Liter on the Rock Yesterday...
Conil de La Frontera

and while I'm at it, a swift plug for the website, komparing. com

It will allow you to find the cheapest fuel (of any description) on your route.

It's not in english but is very intuitive.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi.
I am not super rich but. It costs the same to fill up half a tank from empty as it does to fill a half tank full to full,plus the condensation and in an emergency you ahve a good number of miles on call should you need them before looking again. Both vehicles here are Brimmed,just a thought from over the years,one less thing to worry about before you hit the frog 'n toad.
Tea Bag. 🚛
Something I have always done. Condensation in excess in the fuel tank is not a good thing and potentially great munching ground for anaerobic bacteria and smelly sludgy fuel which blocks up everything………

Still got my bug testing kit in the garage…..

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
There is a restrictor tube on the 60 litre tank models which cuts of the forecourt pump when 60 litres is reached, I have removed it on mine and it now takes 90 litres. The reason Fiat do it is to increase the payload avaliable.
Surely that would affect the fuel gauge. Mine shows full at 60 litres.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Surely that would affect the fuel gauge. Mine shows full at 60 litres.
Yes there were some modifications that had to be done to the gauge sender, the higher fuel level caused the fuel gauge wiper to go off the end of the windings, which caused the gauge to drop to zero and put the low fuel warning light on, I manufactured a stop so it did not do this, and now it reads full until I have done about 140 miles and then it reads normally, I don't see this as much of a problem.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Was always taught to fill tank to stop condensation forming in the air space if tank was left low.
Yep over winter if not using need to keep tank full stops the diesel bug (Though more prevalent in boat diesel tanks) but can still be expensive if you get it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back