Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Hi this might have already been suggested....

Just thought I might pass on a quick tip to anyone else who is scared of driving off with wheel clamp still attached.
I have cut an 18 inch length of grey foam pipe insulation from B&Q (other DIY outlets are available) that is slid over the handbrake lever whilst the clamp is locked on the front wheel. This means I would not/could not unintentionally release handbrake with this on and it is covering the release button.
I have also found the foam tube can be stored on the door pocket of my Moho by sliding the longitudinal slit in the foam down on to the edge of the door pocket. Sorry no pics as Moho in storage. It works for me and cost pennies to save a very expensive misshap.
Cheers Alan.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I've never driven off with a wheel clamp in place but I did once ride off with a chain on the rear wheel of a rented motorbike. It wrapped around the hub but didn't stop the bike šŸ¤”

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Dragged a rear steady across a grass pitch. Neat plough line.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Apologies as I have posted this before.

Some years ago, in the South of France, we had had an unusually high amount of rainfall while on a grassy pitch.

Realising that I was likely to spin the wheels and ā€œdig inā€ I informed the owner that I wanted to leave.

He thanked me for not destroying his pitch and brought his tractor across to tow me out. Unfortunately, he started the tow before I had a chance to release the hand brake and carved two beautiful furrows across the pitch before I could release it.

Fortunately he saw the funny side.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Years ago we had a retracting security post on the drive in front of the motorhome which you couldn't see from the drivers seat, I expect you can guess the rest. :whistle:
Needless to say, after the bumper respray/repair, we always attached a warning flag to the steering wheel when parked up on the drive.>:)

Pete

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I don't have need of a wheel clamp but when I regularly rode a motorbike with a disc lock so pretty much the same thing except possibly more dire consequences if you try your 0-62 in under 3 seconds..

The safety mechanism there is a neon coloured coiled wire that you run from the disc lock to the throttle control on the handlebar.

So surely a cable or cord from the wheel clamp to the steering wheel would work?

Back in my tenting days when illumination in the tent was a fluorescent tube powered from the car's cigar lighter socket I always ran the wire through the steering wheel to make sure I didn't drive off pulling a tent behind. Nowadays I run the EHU lead through the steering wheel & back out to the socket. Pretty much the same thing, never failed me yet.

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
"Nowadays I run the EHU lead through the steering wheel & back out to the socket. Pretty much the same thing, never failed me yet."

Not sure about that especially in the cold and wet climes and it would mean leaving a window part open with security implications BUT I think I might take to looping the wire over the wing mirror and thus clearly visible when you check your mirrors before driving away. The hook up is on the opposite side to the hab door (I think that is usual) and, in my case, being LHD the wire will be close to my driving position. Indeed it will obstruct access via the cab door!

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
"Nowadays I run the EHU lead through the steering wheel & back out to the socket. Pretty much the same thing, never failed me yet."

Not sure about that especially in the cold and wet climes and it would mean leaving a window part open with security implications BUT I think I might take to looping the wire over the wing mirror and thus clearly visible when you check your mirrors before driving away. The hook up is on the opposite side to the hab door (I think that is usual) and, in my case, being LHD the wire will be close to my driving position. Indeed it will obstruct access via the cab door!
Round the mirror sounds a good option but I don't have any security issues because the wire doesn't go through the window, I just let it drop to the footstep & close the door on it. In that area on my vehicle the rubber seal is happy to absorb the wire & the door catch & lock seem totally unaffected.
Can only say 'try it' if you're tempted it can't hurt.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
I don't have need of a wheel clamp but when I regularly rode a motorbike with a disc lock so pretty much the same thing except possibly more dire consequences if you try your 0-62 in under 3 seconds..

The safety mechanism there is a neon coloured coiled wire that you run from the disc lock to the throttle control on the handlebar.

So surely a cable or cord from the wheel clamp to the steering wheel would work?

Back in my tenting days when illumination in the tent was a fluorescent tube powered from the car's cigar lighter socket I always ran the wire through the steering wheel to make sure I didn't drive off pulling a tent behind. Nowadays I run the EHU lead through the steering wheel & back out to the socket. Pretty much the same thing, never failed me yet.

After 10+ years of using a disc lock, I finally rode off with the lock on, damaging the disc etc.

It was after that that I was advised to always put the lock behind the calliper not in front. The difference being that you only travel 6ā€ not 36ā€ before coming to an abrupt halt with a much better chance of no damage.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
After 10+ years of using a disc lock, I finally rode off with the lock on, damaging the disc etc.

It was after that that I was advised to always put the lock behind the calliper not in front. The difference being that you only travel 6ā€ not 36ā€ before coming to an abrupt halt with a much better chance of no damage.
Because you can get up a lot of speed in those extra 30 inches!! šŸ˜„

But seriously, that's good advice & I don't know why it's not printed on the devices!

My nineteen sixtysomething BSA (D14/4) had lugs on the frame & fork through which a simple padlock was inserted, trick being that the bars had to be on 'full lock' to line up the holes so driving off while locked was impossible. Don't know why they stopped fitting them. Point being, why can't wheel clamps do something similarly effective?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Iā€™m clearly OCD!

I always do a walk around. Lockers, ports, wheels and tyres, roof lights, windows, rear box, lights, mirrors, camera, etc, etc!

Tony
Yup, Since doing my C1 training I always do a walk around as well and a peek underneath.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back