What's this about then? (NC500 content) (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We need someone to buy a pass to check if it does include parking concessions! Not me though as my next big trip will be to France.
Won't be me either. I used to love the north of Scotland but not anymore. The last time I was up there was September 2017 and It was chaos .

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I always found that with France but I'm mostly there in winter and its a ghost town. I actually don't mind France so much .. but I can't speak French and I find the French to act quite uppity about that. And it's feckin expensive...
Having just got into France we were astounded at 8 euros a kilo for ham and the same price for decent sized prawns. We even bought 4 steaks for under 8 euros and our first cake of the holiday.

Diesel about 1.75 though. Rest of time in Germany and Austria has been far more expensive which hasn't been the case in recent years. Aires are significantly cheaper in France than southern Germany. Don't think we paid single figure in Germany and didn't budget for that !

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
If you complain about parking height restrictions, and NO Overnighting, then England is your place.

We've just spent 5 weeks touring Ireland, and there are plenty of those there too, way more than when we visited 5 years ago.

France has them but mainly in town centres, though we did see them in Supermarket carparks as well, baffled me why though.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you complain about parking height restrictions, and NO Overnighting, then England is your place.

We've just spent 5 weeks touring Ireland, and there are plenty of those there too, way more than when we visited 5 years ago.

France has them but mainly in town centres, though we did see them in Supermarket carparks as well, baffled me why though.
Because no one ....NO ONE in vehicles under 2 metres leaves rubbish ever. They never poop in bushes , never pee outside and absolutely never throw coffee cups, McDonald's rubbish or cigarette ends out windows. Only people in high vehicles do that

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The link in Minxy's #2 post says the pass includes free overnight parking at specified car parks. Haven't seen a list of car parks but that might be worth the £40 per week?
There’s about a dozen, or so, of them; there’s a list on the HC website linked in the article.

So if you don't buy the pass it looks like you would have to pay for the specified car parks?
Yes, £10/night.

The ones that are currently charging £10-15 per night will not be included at the £40 charge
They are included.

Ian

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
But overnight parking included is from 10pm to 8am, might be past some people's bed time :unsure::LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
If the past is anything to go by. The charge will increase each year, by I guess 10%. I say this as they introduced brown garden bins for each house, then after a couple of years started charging for each bin to be emptied, started at £30, it's now £48.95 per bin.

Quite a few carparks are paid as donations not compulsory.

Jul 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
On Order.Carado V337
So you were not, in fact treated like dog dirt...
You just did not like what you were or were not getting..
Let’s say that I’m thoroughly enjoying my stay in France, loved Spain and Portugal and have decided to SPEND my cash elsewhere, voted with my feet as a consumer. Speaking to several Foreign van owners in Scotland I got the impression that
For them things Ere not as simple as they had been used to and as for the state of the roads this was mentioned every time.
The Scottish authorities seem blissfully ignorant of basic market rules and how to encourage us Motor-homers to part with our cash in the local towns and villages increasingly employment and general prosperity within the community. A HAPPY CUSTOMER is quite often a REPEAT CUSTOMER an unhappy customer like me
Spends elsewhere …… in this case taking my money abroad and enriching someone else’s community.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Let’s say that I’m thoroughly enjoying my stay in France, loved Spain and Portugal and have decided to SPEND my cash elsewhere, voted with my feet as a consumer. Speaking to several Foreign van owners in Scotland I got the impression that
For them things Ere not as simple as they had been used to and as for the state of the roads this was mentioned every time.
The Scottish authorities seem blissfully ignorant of basic market rules and how to encourage us Motor-homers to part with our cash in the local towns and villages increasingly employment and general prosperity within the community. A HAPPY CUSTOMER is quite often a REPEAT CUSTOMER an unhappy customer like me
Spends elsewhere …… in this case taking my money abroad and enriching someone else’s community.
That's not just Scotland that's the entire UK. The reason the north of Scotland is so busy is because England isn't motorhome friendly either. In fact it's worse.

If I lived in the south of England I would always go over the water for a holiday it makes perfect sense. If you live in the North unfortunately it's a long way down just to get to the ferry . So you need to be going for a while to make it worthwhile.

Jul 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
On Order.Carado V337
That's not just Scotland that's the entire UK. The reason the north of Scotland is so busy is because England isn't motorhome friendly either. In fact it's worse.

If I lived in the south of England I would always go over the water for a holiday it makes perfect sense. If you live in the North unfortunately it's a long way down just to get to the ferry . So you need to be going for a while to make it worthwhile.
I’m not going to argue with that astute observation, we have made a conscious decision not to tour the UK for the very reasons you quoted.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
I used to do the north of Scotland every Easter and October from 1993 till 2016. You wouldnt get me up there nowadays
So so sad the way the nc 500 was promoted ? I remember the days before the dreaded 500 . BUT , ok i haven’t been up there for a few yrs owning to family commits , there are still places in the highlands where you can feel isolated ! No way would i put the location on here 😂

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So so sad the way the nc 500 was promoted ? I remember the days before the dreaded 500 . BUT , ok i haven’t been up there for a few yrs owning to family commits , there are still places in the highlands where you can feel isolated ! No way would i put the location on here 😂
Yes I used to say that too . But these days everything is on park4night. Nothing is secret anymore

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I understand where you coming from
However my point is that your original post of "BEING TREATED LIKE DOG DIRT" was offensive to Scottish People and lot over the the top and totally not called for..
I have never heard anyone saying Scotsmen treat visitors as you seem to indicate.. ( maybe it's just your attitude to us that is the issue.)
carolyn recently posted how friendly and polite we are in addition to many other posters saying how friendly we are.
Never seen anyone saying a visit to Scotland was being "TREATED LIKE DOG DIRT"..
Please go to France, if that's what you want to do.. I do not have an issue with that.... BUT do not say that Scottish People treat you like "Dog Dirt"..
We don't.!!!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
And another

Because car drivers never ever do the toilet outside.

Personally I have zero problem with the crap ... its the paper and wipes they leave behind.

But you'll notice how that story is headlined and written to give the impression its a toilet being dumped . Till you read the article then it's most likely anyone.

Jul 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
On Order.Carado V337
I understand where you coming from
However my point is that your original post of "BEING TREATED LIKE DOG DIRT" was offensive to Scottish People and lot over the the top and totally not called for..
I have never heard anyone saying Scotsmen treat visitors as you seem to indicate.. ( maybe it's just your attitude to us that is the issue.)
carolyn recently posted how friendly and polite we are in addition to many other posters saying how friendly we are.
Never seen anyone saying a visit to Scotland was being "TREATED LIKE DOG DIRT"..
Please go to France, if that's what you want to do.. I do not have an issue with that.... BUT do not say that Scottish People treat you like "Dog Dirt"..
We don't.!!!
When all you see is No Motorhomes ,No Motorhomes permitted overnight, no sleeping in vehicles both official signs and handwritten then what am I supposed to think ..
I’m not picking on the Scots I blame all the Authorities and tourists organisations including the NT for being so shortsighted.
And as for friendly …. Ireland wins hands down

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When all you see is No Motorhomes ,No Motorhomes permitted overnight, no sleeping in vehicles both official signs and handwritten then what am I supposed to think ..
I’m not picking on the Scots I blame all the Authorities and tourists organisations including the NT for being so shortsighted.
Did Ireland last year too.

It's amazing how folk have different views. I was threatened with a shotgun in Ireland and told to.move in several other places. And that was September to November. Height barriers and signs everywhere banning motorhomes.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

And how many have the required TRO numbers printed on them to make them enforceable?

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Did some of the NC500 ...couldn't wait to get out of Scotland, Now in France where the roads are a delight, im not treated like dog Dirt and the facilities are first world, free or sensibly priced (11 euros for a camping air last night) i'm on a free air in a village spending money in the local community and not stuck miles from anywhere after spending an hour and a half trying to see where could I stay the night.

Good riddance Scotland
Love France - fantastic place for motorhomes. I go there every year. However, my 3 week trip around Scotland (inc NC500) last year was fantastic too and look forward to returning one day.

By the way , 11 euros for an aire! We just got back from France - 2 euros was my most expensive. Most were free. You were ripped off!

Jul 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
On Order.Carado V337
Love France - fantastic place for motorhomes. I go there every year. However, my 3 week trip around Scotland (inc NC500) last year was fantastic too and look forward to returning one day.

By the way , 11 euros for an aire! We just got back from France - 2 euros was my most expensive. Most were free. You were ripped off!
Yup many free parkups, some paid fro mostly around large cities etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back