What's this about then? (NC500 content) (14 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Popped up on my Google home page but it wanted me to subscribe to read. Anyone know?

As an aside- I parked near here in Mid May last year. Didn't see one motorhome!

Screenshot_2024-07-02-10-42-27-357-edit_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. The locals will still whine all over Facebook about the terrible motorhomers, will still be as welcome as a fart in a space suit. And personally I wouldn't pay it🤷‍♂️ . What I'd like to see happen is a complete United agreement by all campervans and motorhomes to not visit the Highlands at all for 1 entire year. Then watch them whining about no one visiting. The locals complaining about the nc500 will see absolutely no benefit from this charge.

The article the sun wrote in it us complete misleading but already the quotes they give from the Facebook page the land weeps are exactly as I expected.

The locals up there just love to complain...they've nowt else to do.

Feck em all

Jul 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
On Order.Carado V337
Did some of the NC500 ...couldn't wait to get out of Scotland, Now in France where the roads are a delight, im not treated like dog Dirt and the facilities are first world, free or sensibly priced (11 euros for a camping air last night) i'm on a free air in a village spending money in the local community and not stuck miles from anywhere after spending an hour and a half trying to see where could I stay the night.

Good riddance Scotland

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Did some of the NC500 ...couldn't wait to get out of Scotland, Now in France where the roads are a delight, im not treated like dog Dirt and the facilities are first world, free or sensibly priced (11 euros for a camping air last night) i'm on a free air in a village spending money in the local community and not stuck miles from anywhere after spending an hour and a half trying to see where could I stay the night.

Good riddance Scotland
The only downside

It's full of French

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A voluntary £40 a week contribution they are having a laugh, who is going to pay that.
They encouraged all the Motorhomes to go there but didn't bother to provide any facilities, it's their problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Are you including all the Germans, Dutch, Italians, French, Spanish motorhomers, besides all the Americans, Canadians, Japanese, Chinese who come via cruise liner and plane.etc etc in this ban ?

The Highlands would not miss any English motorhomers and your proposed ban would certainly hardly make a dent in the 6 million visitors we get per year. Why is it always english tourists who denigrate our beautiful Highlands ?

I've not spoken to any foreigner visiting our country who hasn't had a good time here. If anyone on here doesn't want to come here then you certainly won't be missed.

And before I get any Scottish rants, I'm english from Lanacashire and married an Inverness lassie, we moved here in 2003. I've never seen such crap written about visitors to the Highland untill the NC500 started. Most is written on social media sites by trolls hiding behind their keyboards.
We travel around the Highlands in our Hymer, mostly wild camping as there are lots of places out of the way that don't cause any problems to spend a night or two, some places ask for £10 or £5 or just a donation which we are happy to pay. I've not yet spoken to anyone who hates motorhomes coming to the Highlands.

Thats my two penny worth, make what you will of it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don’t get all this negativity. I’ve done it a few times always been made welcome and never had a problem. I think it’s a good idea and worth a try.
Made welcome by who? The campsite wardens? The restaurants? Bars ? Etc

Yeah they're not the ones running and whining on the Facebook groups. Or being quoted in the redtop rags on a daily basis.

I used to do the north of Scotland every Easter and October from 1993 till 2016. You wouldnt get me up there nowadays.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Completely with tongue in cheek of course, but this sprung to mind 😇

I find that's the same with every country.

I found myself thinking in Greece the last few weeks ...if only Hitler had marched more of the feckin cliffs I'd get peace on the beach with my dogs.

Problem is there's just too many people ... all doing the same thing.

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Are you including all the Germans, Dutch, Italians, French, Spanish motorhomers, besides all the Americans, Canadians, Japanese, Chinese who come via cruise liner and plane.etc etc in this ban ?

The Highlands would not miss any English motorhomers and your proposed ban would certainly hardly make a dent in the 6 million visitors we get per year. Why is it always english tourists who denigrate our beautiful Highlands ?

I've not spoken to any foreigner visiting our country who hasn't had a good time here. If anyone on here doesn't want to come here then you certainly won't be missed.

And before I get any Scottish rants, I'm english from Lanacashire and married an Inverness lassie, we moved here in 2003. I've never seen such crap written about visitors to the Highland untill the NC500 started. Most is written on social media sites by trolls hiding behind their keyboards.
We travel around the Highlands in our Hymer, mostly wild camping as there are lots of places out of the way that don't cause any problems to spend a night or two, some places ask for £10 or £5 or just a donation which we are happy to pay. I've not yet spoken to anyone who hates motorhomes coming to the Highlands.

Thats my two penny worth, make what you will of it.
Im not including or excluding anyone.

And its not my proposed ban.

I was merely signposting the article in the Daily Record….

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
A voluntary £40 a week contribution they are having a laugh, who is going to pay that.
They encouraged all the Motorhomes to go there but didn't bother to provide any facilities, it's their problem.
We go to Scotland once, sometimes twice a year and we absolutely can’t get enough of it but, your right Lenny, it is indeed their problem. How can you invite the masses with no infrastructure in place, just crazy. 🤷‍♂️

Jul 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
On Order.Carado V337
Would you care to elaborate what promted the above remark..????
In France we are welcomed into village and cities whilst in Scotland I got a bit fed up of the no Overnight camping/No Motorhomes signs the absolute basic facilities ( parking in a farmers field at £15 a night in the middle of now where) because the local councils can't see a good opportunity to bring money into the local community.
Have done Spain,Portugal and now in France ....Chalk and cheese re Scotland and in reality the UK ...even Ireland was easier than the UK.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It's full of French
It’s easy for me to say we have stayed on 100’s of Aires as an off the cuff remark, however, we must have stayed on over 100 and l am constantly amazed how often we don’t actually see anybody when we overnight, usually an Aire upto 10km off a Major road. We go for a walk through a village and see no one.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We go to Scotland once, sometimes twice a year and we absolutely can’t get enough of it but, your right Lenny, it is indeed their problem. How can you invite the masses with no infrastructure in place, just crazy. 🤷‍♂️
When they launched the NC500 you could actually join the club as it were and l applied sending off my fiver or whatever and in return l received a sticker 2”x2” printed NC500 and a slip of paper acknowledging my contribution. I couldn’t believe they would launch without any form of accountability in not showing facilities and places to see and stay etc.
I actually wrote to them saying what a disappointment as l already new the roads were in they had been forever 😳 It’s obviously run and promoted by people who are incapable.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
It’s easy for me to say we have stayed on 100’s of Aires as an off the cuff remark, however, we must have stayed on over 100 and l am constantly amazed how often we don’t actually see anybody when we overnight, usually an Aire upto 10km off a Major road. We go for a walk through a village and see no one.
We walked 2 miles last night in our temporary village and saw 2 kids running to catch a bus, one bloke obviously late for his mistress and our neighbours doing the same thing as us.

10 miles from Strasbourg in a town more than a village which has a number of posh restaurants and a PMU that wasn't open.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
In France we are welcomed into village and cities whilst in Scotland I got a bit fed up of the no Overnight camping/No Motorhomes signs the absolute basic facilities ( parking in a farmers field at £15 a night in the middle of now where) because the local councils can't see a good opportunity to bring money into the local community.
Have done Spain,Portugal and now in France ....Chalk and cheese re Scotland and in reality the UK ...even Ireland was easier than the UK.
So you were not, in fact treated like dog dirt...
You just did not like what you were or were not getting..

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
The link in Minxy's #2 post says the pass includes free overnight parking at specified car parks. Haven't seen a list of car parks but that might be worth the £40 per week?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
The link in Minxy's #2 post says the pass includes free overnight parking at specified car parks. Haven't seen a list of car parks but that might be worth the £40 per week?
It also says it is a voluntary charge!!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I always found that with France but I'm mostly there in winter and its a ghost town. I actually don't mind France so much .. but I can't speak French and I find the French to act quite uppity about that. And it's feckin expensive...

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You'll most likely find their the carparks you could stay in free overnight anyway. The ones that are currently charging £10-15 per night will not be included at the £40 charge

They're not that daft

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
You'll most likely find their the carparks you could stay in free overnight anyway. The ones that are currently charging £10-15 per night will not be included at the £40 charge

They're not that daft
We need someone to buy a pass to check if it does include parking concessions! Not me though as my next big trip will be to France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back