What's the funniest thing you've seen on your travels?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024
We had our first ever 2 nights away last week. On our second day, the MH next to us by a river was parked by an overgrown fishing peg.

The owner appeared with a pair of shears and hacked at the weeds. Then he produced a full-sized garden rake and cleaned up. Obviously not content with his work, he attached the shears to 2 long wooden struts and turned them into loppers so he could reach the overhanging branches.

Me and my OH were actually crying laughing at him, it made our day.

This may well be perfectly normal motorhoming behaviour, but, as newbies, we found it funny.

What's your favourite/most memorable funny sight whilst out and about?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Caravan park on a very cold and icy night.
My pal, all dressed up for a night out with his posh all leather brogues decided he needed to visit loo.
Got halfway across driveway and could not go any further or indeed return..
He did a perfect rendition of Bambi on Ice.. We were in stitches, eventually I had to go and rescue him..🤣🤣🤣🤣

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
On last month's trip to France, there was a French couple with a Concorde Liner the big one with the garage in the back that took their new, Fiat 500 hybrid, he had one of those 1 wheel electric balance bike things that he kept falling off, but the funny thing was watching her load the site tumble dryer with a load of designer clothes pour a load of washing liquid in and then start it up to do a wash, despite the instructions being in French.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
The OP doesn't mention motorhomes so my funniest moment is en route from Vancouver to Jasper via Whistler in a rented Buick we overtook an ostrich going the same way as us on the opposite carriageway at some pace. Escaped from a zoo maybe but he would take some catching.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
At Sandringham a few weeks ago, a feller turns up with a twin axle caravan……..towed by a DAF XF tractor. Guess it was a well matched outfit!!!

Wish i had taken a photo…..

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Large German site which was all grass and a few trees.
Unusually for Germany you could park anywhere.

We found the perfect place, but the grass was a bit green
So I did some testing of the ground, definitely spongy, I'd guess a leaking water pipe.

So we parked to one side.
A bit later a large German 9m motorhome arrives and looks at our green spot.
As he starts to move onto it I went over and told him the ground was soft.
He has a quick look, decides it's fine for his heavy monster.

Next morning they were down to the axles.

They were still there when we left two days later.
He never came over to talk to us for some reason .....

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Italy camp site.
Large caravan arrives
They spend the usual 2 hours making camp, full awning, fencing, washing line, satellite dish, a real home from home.
The final item to come out were the pot plants and window boxes, dozens of them!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
In the Carrefour car park in Chalons-sur-Soâne, France, a lady parked next to our motorhome, returned to her car and loaded the boot.

Getting into the car she reversed out of her space into the trolley she had left by the boot. Hearing the bang she must have looked in her mirror and seen the trolley. Throwing up her hands in disgust she drove forward into the steel post separating the walkway.

Now, thoroughly p1ss3d off she just slammed the car back into reverse sending the trolley skittering across the car park into a car that was coming along the roadway.

She was still arguing with that driver as we drove away.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Quite a few funnies in many years. A long time ago, when I was a keen Bongo owner and one of 5 or 6 vans on a jaunty we called "The Italian job". We needed to stop for provisions off route, and the lead driver was misdirected down a narrow ally in a small mountain village which was only just wide enough for our already very narrow vans, one after the other squeezed through. A local resident, who reminded me of Andy Cap, watched in amazement as each van drive slowly past his tiny house. He tore off his Andy Cap, threw it on the ground, and jumped up and down and really ground it into the ground!. You had to be there! I'm glad I was 😁

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Travelling home though France from the Algarve a few Springs ago, late at night, I pulled into rural layby and got my head down for the night next to this very small, 2CV sized car with an opening tailgate.
Next morning just as it was getting light and I sat drinking my coffee before setting off again, a woman the size of Oliver Hardy oozed out of the tailgate!
Blimey thought I how did she sleep in such a confined space.
A few minutes later, to my amazement, another body appeared in the opening, this time a man about the size of Stan Laurel.
Wow that must have been tight in there! 😱

I wondered if they were a Laurel & Hardy tribute act or just a pair of contortionists? 🤣

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
We were slightly amused one year by an incident in Switzerland I think. We were following a hugely expensive super car, which in turn was following an ordinary car. The super car would slow down then speed up so we could all be impressed by the roar of his engine. At a roundabout the super car sped up then slowed down by driving into the back of the car in front. They both drove around the roundabout and pulled in, where an enraged super car driver threw open his expensive door, straight into a high concrete kerb.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Or in a lay-by my wife arguing with a French prostitute over our parking which was blocking her from view of potential customers, the prostitute that is not my wife.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
On the Croatian coastal road a month back, driving along quite happily, no other vehicles, just cruising and enjoying the scenery, when little traffic cones started appearing in the centre of the road, not full size UK ones, but toy ones like what school football teams use, these went one for miles - until we rounded a bend and there were two guys riding, I can't even say a tractor, it was more like a wheel barrow with an engine, one guy was painting the white lines, the other dropping the cones!

Totally unlike the UK which would have had a 100 mile detour,

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Or in a lay-by my wife arguing with a French prostitute over our parking which was blocking her from view of potential customers, the prostitute that is not my wife.
Similarly, as we passed by a scrap yard near Rome, a lady of the night/day was leaning on the side window of a car talking to a potential client. Wifey said, oh that's nice, she's all dressed up in her glad rags and yet she has time to chat with a worker!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not necessarily the funniest but saw this on our last holiday which made us giggle! It's an automatic floor cleaner who someone had put a stuffed panda on. :giggle:

IMG_20240615_215905.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back