Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
It's July, we're on a CS near Silverstone as daughter is working there. Last night we had a storm the tenters next door have lost their toilet tent, windbreakers have blown over and the first thing I did when daughter got up for what 5.00 was put the heating on. We were planning a walk along the canal today but rain forecast all day. Summer, what summer? :madder:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
It was that cold last night I lit the fire šŸ”„
IMG_1053.jpeg

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Global warming
Now I know why they call it climate change instead of global warming. We are getting cold and wet whilst other places are getting hot and dry. When I heard the other day that it had been the hottest May on record I really thought those weather forecasters were having a Michael Fish moment until I realised they meant globally!

My god-daughter got married in July last year, even I didnā€™t put my cardi on during the evening it was so warm, thatā€™s unheard of.

I will put up with all this weather if we can have sunshine on the 10th August for our daughterā€™s wedding. The reception is at West Bay, we donā€™t want to end up in the sea!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If it turned hot next week and stayed like it all summer we would look back on it as a fantastic summer after all it's only early July.......... I'm not saying that's likely the way things look!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
This is how I remember summers though. The great storm and flood that took away Pensford Bridge was in July 1968. The year we abandoned UK summer tenting with the kids was in 1986 when we had 2 solid weeks of rain in late July/August.
The hot consistent days of lockdown 2020, the heatwave of 2021 surely the more unusual.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
It's still raining and we're on a sloping field I'm not sure if we can drive off
Daughter got away ok this morning but she drives a Range Rover so she's ok. Unfortunately she is going home a day before we do šŸ˜§

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Now I know why they call it climate change instead of global warming. We are getting cold and wet whilst other places are getting hot and dry. When I heard the other day that it had been the hottest May on record I really thought those weather forecasters were having a Michael Fish moment until I realised they meant globally!

My god-daughter got married in July last year, even I didnā€™t put my cardi on during the evening it was so warm, thatā€™s unheard of.

I will put up with all this weather if we can have sunshine on the 10th August for our daughterā€™s wedding. The reception is at West Bay, we donā€™t want to end up in the sea!
The hottest May on record was for he UK figures. The cloud cover which gave us greyer days reduced heat loss at night so whilst our days were slightly cooler than normal, our nights were sufficiently warmer to result in a warmer May average than ever recorded in the UK by 1Ā°C.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The hottest May on record was for he UK figures. The cloud cover which gave us greyer days reduced heat loss at night so whilst our days were slightly cooler than normal, our nights were sufficiently warmer to result in a warmer May average than ever recorded in the UK by 1Ā°C.
ā€œI donā€™t believe itā€ as Victor Meldrew would say. Iā€™m sure youā€™re right of course but it really is hard to believe.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
10 degrees and raining in not-so-sunny Shropshire today šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

My conspiracy theory of today is, bearing in mind that the Earth is flat, all the Taylor Swift fans jumping in unison have tilted the World so we are now further away from the sun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
It's always been like this. I remember one holiday camping (pre-erected) in Jersey with six children for two weeks in July/August when it rained every day. We had one day on the beach and even then it rained in the afternoon. The site had a lovely outdoor pool that we didn't use. I had to hire a car (A Montego estate with the extra rear facing seats) and it cost me an absolute fortune on indoor entertainments. Bedding and clothes got wet in the tents..... Miserable weather and miserable kids! What a wonderful holiday.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It's always been like this. I remember one holiday camping (pre-erected) in Jersey with six children for two weeks in July/August when it rained every day. We had one day on the beach and even then it rained in the afternoon. The site had a lovely outdoor pool that we didn't use. I had to hire a car (A Montego estate with the extra rear facing seats) and it cost me an absolute fortune on indoor entertainments. Bedding and clothes got wet in the tents..... Miserable weather and miserable kids! What a wonderful holiday.
Sounds like the same year as we had the wet miserable time - in Cornwall and Devon

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
Well Iā€™m supposed to be fishing on Tuesday, going out from Weymouth.
Booked into Pebblebank camping on Monday.
Last year ( same time of year) wife had planned to walk over to The Fat Badger for lunch, after a walk with the dog, weather so bad she stayed in bed reading.
Weather forecast for Tuesday? Cold and rain, didnā€™t think it could happen again.
Sheā€™s said if I do it next year sheā€™s staying home.
The only bright part, calling into Poole on our way, to have steps fitted on the front passenger doors of the motorhome. Retail therapy!!!
Iā€™ve told her she can do ā€œstep upsā€ to test them out, a bit of exercise and she can keep warm.
Iā€™ll not report her response but I think you can guess.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Well Iā€™m supposed to be fishing on Tuesday, going out from Weymouth.
Booked into Pebblebank camping on Monday.
Last year ( same time of year) wife had planned to walk over to The Fat Badger for lunch, after a walk with the dog, weather so bad she stayed in bed reading.
Weather forecast for Tuesday? Cold and rain, didnā€™t think it could happen again.
Sheā€™s said if I do it next year sheā€™s staying home.
The only bright part, calling into Poole on our way, to have steps fitted on the front passenger doors of the motorhome. Retail therapy!!!
Iā€™ve told her she can do ā€œstep upsā€ to test them out, a bit of exercise and she can keep warm.
Iā€™ll not report her response but I think you can guess.

What boat are you out on? Had some great sport last year out of Weymouth with the black bream, although they were very fussy on hook/bait size. Size six with a small mackerel squid cocktail was the winning formula!

Iā€™m flying back from Portugal in October to do a Bluefin Tuna trip out of Falmouth! Iā€™m also back out to Norway next year! Still need a ton plus Halibut! šŸ™

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
Iā€™m drawn on the Amarissa.
This is the Southern qualifier for the National Championship of the Civil Service Sports Association.
Decided to take part last year, explained I had no sea fishing gear and in fact I was a carp fisherman!
They sorted me out with a rod etc although the rod felt like a broom stick. Capt taught me how to bait up and lo and behold I did well on the day and was in the winning team of 4!
I was the bloke who turned up with just his sandwiches! Plus I just had rudimentary waterproof gear, I did not look the part!
I thoroughly enjoyed my day and decided to go again this year.
If I lived nearer the sea I think I would take it up rather than carp fishing.
I never recognised many of the fish I landed, some real ugly ones, mind you the fish probably thought that as well.
PS Iā€™ve got some 15mm Halibut pellets

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back