What your van Really looks like from the factory (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Custom
So, driving down the M6 the other day I come across this. I know the ALKO chassis is an aftermarket frame but hadn’t thought they may actually leave the factory like this!

You’re looking at pairs of vans bolted together for transporting,

Enjoy!

IMG_6254.jpeg

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
When I toured Australia with French Hell Drivers Stunt team in the early 70's, for the Clown interval between the Precision Driving in the Holden Terrana's and the Banger rollovers and T-Bone crashes of the second half, we cut 2 Mini's in half and then with some scaffold poles and pins, put the two front sections back together again.

After a lot of backwards and forwards driving argument between one of the stunt drivers and the Clown, they both got back into their section and pulled the pins.
Then with a mighty explosion, both parts separated and went around the trotting tracks in opposite directions the back dragging along on the scaffold poles sticking out the back! 😄

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
They are not bolted tgether. They are actually made like that, with all electrics wired up and hydrau;lic fluids etc.

can be driven. But not on roads because they don't have any rear lights

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I lived near Bedford truck plant as a kid and watched them all the time, some of those cabs even had wooden makeshift cabs on them as a bit of protection.
View attachment 938220

Nothing to fancy though 🙂

IMG_4832.jpeg

Used to see the greatcoat,flying helmet and goggles drivers regularly on the M6 heading north to the bus works at Wigan. 🙂

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I recall seeing bare chassis being delivered by drivers sitting out in the open wearing a greatcoat and a pair of motorcycle goggles.

I did that in the UK but mostly with cab units for Shelvoke & Drury but they were still dangerous to drive in wet and icy weather, they would 'spin on a sixpence'.

Too much acceleration they would spin.
Too much braking they would spin, thank goodness, back in the late 60's, there was less traffic.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I lived near Bedford truck plant as a kid and watched them all the time, some of those cabs even had wooden makeshift cabs on them as a bit of protection.
View attachment 938220
Coach chassis ? No engine visible, so presumably at the rear out of shot. Wouldn't fancy dropping that spare wheel down for a change!!
Mike.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
When I toured Australia with French Hell Drivers Stunt team in the early 70's, for the Clown interval between the Precision Driving in the Holden Terrana's and the Banger rollovers and T-Bone crashes of the second half, we cut 2 Mini's in half and then with some scaffold TUBES poles and FITTINGS pins, put the two front sections back together again.

After a lot of backwards and forwards driving argument between one of the stunt drivers and the Clown, they both got back into their section and pulled the pins.
Then with a mighty explosion, both parts separated and went around the trotting tracks in opposite directions the back dragging along on the scaffold poles sticking out the back! 😄
Corrected that for you.......................no, please don't thank me:LOL::ROFLMAO:(y)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Corrected that for you.......................no, please don't thank me:LOL::ROFLMAO:(y)
Scaffold poles were called POLES in Australia when I was there.
I can just imagine one Aussie in the 1960's, asking another Aussie to " pass the TUBES please"
His mate would say, "Why, you got a cough?"

Plus the PINS that were stuck through the POLES had nothing to do with the scaffolding business but thanks just the same, I need someone to watch my back! 😄

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
The good ole days before elf and safe tea, love it (y)

On my first visit to Oz the macho Aussie blokes on construction sites wore pink vests, shooting concrete from pink trucks, was a bit of an eye opener given the preamble at the time :unsure::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The good ole days before elf and safe tea, love it (y)

On my first visit to Oz the macho Aussie blokes on construction sites wore pink vests, shooting concrete from pink trucks, was a bit of an eye opener given the preamble at the time :unsure::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
He must have been looking for a punch up?
Or was this in modern time following diversification? 😄

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!