What would you do if this happened? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 6, 2019
No fixed address, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
I'd be interested to hear what you would do should this happen to you. It's 2:30am & I'm asleep in bed in an open, designated MH area, and a knock comes on the door that keeps going till I stir.

The o/h cab window at my head is open, and I pull down the blind to see a man there, who is asking for a blanket.

This has now happened on two occasions - in the same place, in similar circumstances, a year apart. I don't have a 'blanket' to give - certainly not one of my good sleeping bags - so I say no, apologise and he leaves.

Of course, I find it v.hard to get back to sleep and every little noise is suspicious - despite all the vehicle doors being barred. I start worrying about whether he's still outside and if he might have a go at a door or do something else to the tyres or a window or whatever.

I don't hear him knock at either neighbouring van - one of which also has an open vent. I'm feeling around for my personal panic alarm and wondering if it would be a good idea to move...

I was tired enough to eventually get off again and by the morning, nothing has happened to the van. Would you keep a spare blanket or is it a ruse to get me to open the door...

Aug 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT630
Exp
7 years full timing
Never ever unlock and/or open door or windows, shout if you need to, turn your outside awning light on, you felt uneasy, always trust your instinct, move away while your awake. Always have a plan b stopover ready in case, have your sat nav pre programmed for the plan b destination. Stay safe.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
There are varying types of scams in Spain to steal from you, so whilst not saying this is one of them I think you did the right thing and I wouldn’t have done anything different.

I’ve had people posing as police officers try to stop me on the motorway twice and another occasion of other drivers trying to stop me by warning I had a problem with my car, to steal my car. Also friends who had people asking for directions with a map blocking out your view of an accomplice stealing from inside the car. Intentional damage by a car & then saying you ran into me and finally I’ve had someone hit my wing mirror when not paying attention then having the cheek to chase me in the Motorhome and demand I pay for his damage

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Distraction theft, one of the every day cons they utilise to earn a living off tourists. The same as the woman banging on the door crying. Never open the door and if you feel threatened use the panic button on your alarm. First sign of that and they will be off and jumping in the waiting car.

Utter scum the lot of them and sadly usually eastern european gangs in Spain

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Ive heard some people having a speaker and dog braking at the ready to deter would be chancers. Nice deep growl and woof will put most people off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PaulOH
Feb 6, 2019
No fixed address, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
Where did this happened? I'll search in local news to find out if there's something going on there...
I live & work in the town, and there's nothing out of the ordinary going on there, it's just a quite nice little market town outside Barcelona that happens to have a designated area popular for waste&refill services close to the AP7 and C35 main road, so there are often vans overnighting - apart from this, I've not had a moment's bother when I'm parked there.

I think royandsharont and TheBig1 have it correct - this isn't a problem specific to this place - it could happen anywhere that it's believed people may fall victim. I imagine they may use a different MO depending on the circumstances, but the blanket line was too much of a coincidence for me.

I have posted an advisory on the entry in park4night for here and now you all know too!

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
I live & work in the town, and there's nothing out of the ordinary going on there, it's just a quite nice little market town outside Barcelona that happens to have a designated area popular for waste&refill services close to the AP7 and C35 main road, so there are often vans overnighting - apart from this, I've not had a moment's bother when I'm parked there.

I think royandsharont and TheBig1 have it correct - this isn't a problem specific to this place - it could happen anywhere that it's believed people may fall victim. I imagine they may use a different MO depending on the circumstances, but the blanket line was too much of a coincidence for me.

I have posted an advisory on the entry in park4night for here and now you all know too!
Ok, I know now the place you mean (y)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Snap me too but I would of sent the wife ,
She don’t look the best at anytime 😂🤫
Hi.buzz1
NOT pointing any fingers.......... But............" SNAP ". ( ) Could they be Kin ?... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:..." Coming dear...🚑 ? OUCH !!"
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back