What voltage should Hab battery show when not on EHU

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry if this is a very simple question. We are currently parked up off grid. The heating is on gas. The fridge( condenser) is on halfway temp and night mode. We have one LED cab light on. When I look at the hab battery status it says 12.0 V. Is this normal, we drove 3 hours to get here so thought it would be higher although I didn’t check when we arrived. We have a solar panel but it’s now dark. The battery was replaced last year , think it’s a gel one. The only reason I am concerned is that the van was in a garage having repairs for 2 months and during that time the battery was disconnected and all power off to van. Could this have caused another battery failure. Thanks.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Did you measure it with a meter or are you reporting the figure shown on the Anxiety Panel?
Has it been O.K. on previous trips?
If you don't know what the voltage was when you stopped it's not easy to say. Maybe check it again in half an hour or so.
The fridge will/could be a significant load when in a cooling cycle and the voltage will drop when a load is applied.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
OK. Thanks. We have 1 night here then a couple of short drives then second night no hook up so hoping it keeps us going. Hab service booked in 2 weeks. I think I need to learn how this stuff all works so I don’t have to worry. I didn’t even know if the solar is still n and working or not!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
We have used it once since it came back from the garage but we stayed in hook up
Then so didn’t check. Yes it’s anxiety!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
OK. Thanks. We have 1 night here then a couple of short drives then second night no hook up so hoping it keeps us going. Hab service booked in 2 weeks. I think I need to learn how this stuff all works so I don’t have to worry. I didn’t even know if the solar is still n and working or not!
You may do research on the B2B chargers they can put 30 to 50amps at a time into you battery so a short rung can recharge a battery

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The panel will also show a lower voltage whist it's powering stuff.
If you turn everything off voltage will increase, but only slightly

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Providing the battery was charged before it was left disconnect for 2 months it should be fine.

Difficult to judge the state of the battery with on load readings, you normally check the state of charge off load.

If its holding at 12v and not dropping much it's probably OK.
Depending on fan speed the Truma heater can draw between 1 to 6 amps.

Try turning off the heater and the fridge if the battery voltage recovers to 12.6 or more after 15 mins it's probably OK.

Also if the battery was fairly low before your drive, 3 hours is not going to put much back into it unless you have a B2B.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The battery shouldn't have been seriously discharged even over a couple of months if it was disconnected and reasonably charged before disconnection. Control panel voltmeters are not always accurate either.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Yes was fully charged before disconnection as was in EHU when neighbour smashed into it, hence time in garage. I think I am just paranoid. Never gave the Truma fan a thought. Does charging phones/iPads drain it much.
Also how do I find out more about these things so I can work them out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Update: Bit less panicky now as after over half an hour of leaving fridge, Truma fan and an iPhone charging g and LED light on voltage is showing 12.1. So seems OK but it really shows how little I know about these things. I suspect I’m not alone though. I feel if I have some understanding of how these things work then I’d a problem arises at least I know where to start looking.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
I am assuming your Hymer display shows three colours alongside the voltage. If you are seeing green then all is well.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Excellent. The originally fitted voltage meters can be inaccurate so at a convenient time it would be worth comparing the reading on the fitted meter in the Anxiety Panel with the reading on a test meter with the probes direct on the battery terminals. But not whilst charging on EHU or when the solar is outputting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry. I have confused some of you. The reading is from the Truma app which I use to control the hearing via the inbox. Not a Hymer. The anxiety was purely mine😂😂

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Sorry. I have confused some of you. The reading is from the Truma app which I use to control the hearing via the inbox. Not a Hymer. The anxiety was purely mine😂😂
If the battery is only at 12.1v with no load (ie nothing switched on) it is about 50% charged.. You have to leave it an hour to settle down though.

Screenshot_20210406-171100_Opera.jpg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back