What UK TV can I watch abroad? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
Turn it on it's head..

What TV program is worth buying a sim to watch .. :unsure:

that's a hard question... thinking, be right back ...

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Need to google what this firestick ya'll talk about is.
It looks a bit like a USB stick, but it has an HDMI plug instead of a USB. It is a fully functioning TV that gets its signal over wifi, not a TV aerial. It has no display obviously, but you can plug it into anything that can take an HDMI input. Any modern TV will do this, or you can even use a computer monitor provided it has an HDMI input and speakers.

It needs to be powered, and for that there is a micro USB input on the side of the stick. A suitable USB lead is needed, plugged into a USB charger. The charger can be a 240V mains type or a 12V cigarette-lighter type, if there isn't a handy USB charge outlet available.

It comes with several apps already installed, like iPlayer, and you can install other apps if you want.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
It looks a bit like a USB stick, but it has an HDMI plug instead of a USB. It is a fully functioning TV that gets its signal over wifi, not a TV aerial. It has no display obviously, but you can plug it into anything that can take an HDMI input. Any modern TV will do this, or you can even use a computer monitor provided it has an HDMI input and speakers.

It needs to be powered, and for that there is a micro USB input on the side of the stick. A suitable USB lead is needed, plugged into a USB charger. The charger can be a 240V mains type or a 12V cigarette-lighter type, if there isn't a handy USB charge outlet available.

It comes with several apps already installed, like iPlayer, and you can install other apps if you want.
Now then, an explanation i could follow. Thank you for explaining it in simplistic terms without relating to all these fancy tech terms some like to use.
I can now consider if one might benifit us.

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
ExpressVPN works for us. Sometimes you may need to change the UK area its in. Not failed us yet

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Not so new now
When we had our boat in Spain a few years ago, we used britishtvanywhere.com for vpn.
It worked perfectly. Just checked on Google and it still exists.

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
This may not be the easiest or cheapest to do but it works perfectly anywhere in the world if you have the right kit and knowledge to set up
Basically you will be connecting to your home directly so effectively you are watching TV from home
I can go into more detail if anyone is interested but the basic kit is
At home
Router that has a built in VPN - with a bit of luck you may have that already
Any PC at home u are happy to leave on 24/7 - I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny pc from ebay for about £70
HDHomerun Freeview box or USB Freeview TV tuner from £35 - £150
Free software on PC such as TVHeadend or paid for apps like PlexTV
When away
Whatever you normally use to connect your devices to internet
Free apps for connecting to your VPN
Apps for fire stick, Android, iOS mostly free to watch your TV

Once set up its as simple as opening up an app to watch TV
You can also record TV just like you would with a Freeview box under TV
I use this system as my home TV recording/playback system anyway so for me to convert to worldwide usage via router VPN was an added bonus
As I have said not the easiest to set up but works a treat for me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 18, 2022
Staffordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 254
Exp
4 years
Just getting ready for our TV trips abroad in the New Year, now find that the one we used this year TV Mucho have disappeared. I used to watch via my iPad. There must be others out there hope members can suggest some other company. In particular we like to watch the Tour de France live.
Why bother with a TV..........nothing but bad news on it. Yes, I know that it sells papers etc........but why watch it when you don't have to. Pleanty of things you could be doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Why bother with a TV..........nothing but bad news on it. Yes, I know that it sells papers etc........but why watch it when you don't have to. Pleanty of things you could be doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your confusing the news with actual TV shows and live sport.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I wouldn't put too much faith in a VPN. We tried to watch the coronation while away and in spite of using a VPN to look like we were in the UK the BBC recognised it and blocked us. Luckily the whole thing was on the BBC news website so we did get to see it.
I never have a problem using VPN but only ever use it if on site Internet.. BUSBY

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016

Not any device with an HDMI port. It won't work on a laptop or computer with an HDMI port. I think that's to stop you copying or manipulating the content, should you have the knowhow.

Oct 3, 2023
Buckingham, UK
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter CR35 LWB
Exp
Several years under the belt....
If you want the full UK TV experience while abroad and you want to do it legally, the best way is to use an Hdhomerun plugged into your aerial and home network and then use a media server like Plex or Emby on your PC or NAS. You will then be able to not only watch the full UK spectrum of Freeview channels anywhere in the world with an internet connection but also record programs on your PC or NAS (Network Attached Storage) and watch them too.
It is a bit complicated to setup, but once done it's blissfull for the 6 Nations on a beach!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Nobody watches the local TV by the looks of things. That's a pity. I bet there are some dramas worth watching. It would be a refreshing change from what you get on UK channels. Travel is about changing the scenery outside, so why not change the stuff you view on TV as well? Helps improve your language comprehension too.

It probably needs some sort of translation App to provide English subtitles. Youtube does this so it is feasible.

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
If you want the full UK TV experience while abroad and you want to do it legally, the best way is to use an Hdhomerun plugged into your aerial and home network and then use a media server like Plex or Emby on your PC or NAS. You will then be able to not only watch the full UK spectrum of Freeview channels anywhere in the world with an internet connection but also record programs on your PC or NAS (Network Attached Storage) and watch them too.
It is a bit complicated to setup, but once done it's blissfull for the 6 Nations on a beach!
And using Plex or Emby there is no need for a vpn at all. These cost a one time fee. Most decent VPNs other than your own req subscription
Skinboy seems to have a very similar setup to me

Sep 17, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 2014
If you use an RWG (100gb for use abroad) sim it connects to a British server automatically so there is no need for a VPN and you can stream Netflix etc; with no issues.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
I use a combination of EE sim or hotspot to mobile, Nord VPN, Firestick and so called smart TV.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
if you're lucky you won't be able to watch any of the crap of the soaps reality and daytime tv we're inundated with
There is a simple switch to avoid that rubbish..think it says off on it..BUSBY..

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
Why?

no one knows where you are especially when moving about in a motorhome and a VPN uses bandwidth and data so slows everything down a little bit

Surely not needed i'd have thought but whatever your happy with
dont want to get into it on here but ,,the one i have doesnt work properly without the vpn connected ,,

Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Used the RWG mobile sim 200GB, three times now (just cancel when you get back) with no problems, runs firestick and if that packs up have a cheapo android tv box, and if all that falls over have a huge mem stick with all sorts of movies and box sets down loaded.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks for all your replies. As I stated Mucho TV is no longer available. Mucho TV suited us while travelling abroad, one or two hiccups but 90% reliable. I now find that another company has replaced Mucho. This is a company trading under a name “Teeveeing”. Looking at their website they seem to be the trading as Mucho did. Looking at the prices they charge these are very similar. I shall be using them on our next trip, hopefully this coming Jan/Feb.

I would like to wish all members of MF a very happy New Year and very safe trips where you wander.

Colyboy
Out of similar interests ….. have you tried teeveeing yet and can you get ITVX and Eurosport (needed for TDF)?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back