What to do with mussels on eat by date (other than eating). (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Our neighbour works for Waitrose and gifted me two bags of fresh mussels today. Only problem is the eat by date which is today.
I have just cooked off and scoffed one bag for lunch. What suggestions do people have for the second bag, which I dont really want to eat today and dont really want to throw them out.
I was looking at maybe freezing them, but there seems to be mixed messages on the internet around that option.
They are currently in the fridge in a bowl covered with a damp cloth.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Howard

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I wouldn't eat any shell fish that was not immediately frozen. Far too high risk of poisoning

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I have eaten mussels 2 days after use by date and they were fine, so was I :giggle: (y) I have eaten smoked salmon way after the use by date but I did fry it first I didn't eat it raw. You could cook them today and then freeze them.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
When would you be prepared to eat mussels next? Tomorrow? Fri? They should be fine if they are closed before being cooked and open when cooked. If you don't want to eat another mussel meal over the next 3 days, cook them today and freeze the meat and some juice to add to rice etc

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
When would you be prepared to eat mussels next? Tomorrow? Fri? They should be fine if they are closed before being cooked and open when cooked. If you don't want to eat another mussel meal over the next 3 days, cook them today and freeze the meat and some juice to add to rice etc
Probably try them tomorrow.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
A slight aside - we were in Malta for Christmas and sitting at an outdoor cafe with a glass of wine when a guy passed with a box of fresh mussels. Basia followed where he went, we stopped at the restaurant to see the menu.

We ate there 4 times - unpretentious little place, lots of locals, excellent food.

Basia has a nose for food, so maybe you should ask her to test your mussels.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If they are closed then cook them if closed after cooking don’t eat throw away the closed ones ,
Also smell was going to buy some in a supermarket in France but an old French guy pulled me to the side where 6 sacks were stacked he said smell them. Then told me at this time of the year they don’t know what sex they are and shouldn’t be eaten.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Before cooking they should be closed or close if tapped. After cooking they should be open. As long as they have been stored correctly I suspect they will be fine. If they weren't stored correctly they would be dodgy well before the sell by date! I think in this case like with fruit and veg the sell by date is an indication only I see some veg fine days over the date other stuff in date but already rotten

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
cook them and put them in a jar with vingegar - they sell them in supermarkets (i remember them being sold by a bloke who used to come around the pub selling sea food etc) - ive cooked them and eaten them a few days later when theyve been 'pickled' ..

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Probably try them tomorrow.
I think that they'll be fine in the fridge overnight. Take them out approx 45 mins before you plan to cook them so they can become active again and close if you tap them. I generally find that if I have some that aren't closed or don't close when I'm sorting them, if I put them in a separate bowl whilst I get the others ready, many will end up closing - they just needed a little more time. I won't eat any that don't close or are damaged beyond a crack in the shell. I also discard any that don't open.

How did you cook them today? I like them with cream, parsley and white wine or with cider and bacon bits / lardons... Plus bread to soak up the juices.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
If they smell ok and are still in date - cook them. Throw any away that DON'T open. The rest will keep for a few days more.

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I think that they'll be fine in the fridge overnight. Take them out approx 45 mins before you plan to cook them so they can become active again and close if you tap them. I generally find that if I have some that aren't closed or don't close when I'm sorting them, if I put them in a separate bowl whilst I get the others ready, many will end up closing - they just needed a little more time. I won't eat any that don't close or are damaged beyond a crack in the shell. I also discard any that don't open.

How did you cook them today? I like them with cream, parsley and white wine or with cider and bacon bits / lardons... Plus bread to soak up the juices.
Just steamed them with chopped garlic and chilli. Will probably use white wine and onions tomorrow.

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I was going to cook them off yesterday for lunch. However when i took them out of the fridge, they didnt smell right so decided not to risk eating them.
Thanks for the comments😀

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If they smell ok and are still in date - cook them. Throw any away that DON'T open. The rest will keep for a few days more.
It's struck me as odd that the vacuum packed ones (with long 'Best before' dates) in white wine sauce from supermarkets must be dead but they still open when steamed. :unsure:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Pop them in a Jiffy bag and post to Boldly, second class, they’ll be perfect bait by the time they reach him 🤭

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It's struck me as odd that the vacuum packed ones (with long 'Best before' dates) in white wine sauce from supermarkets must be dead but they still open when steamed. :unsure:
I think they are pre cooked it's probably just the ligaments shrinking as they get hot.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I think they are pre cooked it's probably just the ligaments shrinking as they get hot.
Yep it could be, although the cooking time is 6 to 8 mins about the same as for fresh ones but maybe that's why they also seem to be a bit tougher (they're overcooked?) than with fresh ones.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yep it could be, although the cooking time is 6 to 8 mins about the same as for fresh ones but maybe that's why they also seem to be a bit tougher (they're overcooked?) than with fresh ones.
I think they're a poor imitation a bit rubbery!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back