What to do about my slow puncture (64 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Ever since new we have had a very very slow puncture on one of our rear tyres. It's so slow the garage can't see it. However over a period of weeks it deflates a bit.

I know a slow deflation is quite normal sometimes. About 3 years ago though i inflated on site using the emergency compressor and accidentally put some of the slime stuff in. It had been fine since then. Last week though when we were on the road it deflated again. Down to 30psi. I had no choice but to use an emergency tyre repair canister. It got us to the end of the trip.

The quandary I have is that now it's not deflating again. Could it be the sealant will hole it for another 3 years.

I guess I should bite the bullet and get a new tyre but it seems such a waste.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
How old is the tyre, and how much tread does it have left?
As far as I know having the goo in the tyre isn't detrimental, but pre-warn the tyre place when yo go in for a replacement.
I understand the goo actually helps balance the tyre, in many heavy vehicle industries the goo is put in the tyre as a matter of course, and certainly I used to run in trail bike tyres, and still do in the scooter and cycles.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
I would keep using it, but I would swap it to the rear if it wasnt already ( I note yours is on the rear )

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7010
Exp
Since 1974
I would keep using it, but I would swap it to the rear if it wasnt already ( I note yours is on the rear )
Have you seen the aftermath of a rear tyre blowout on a coachbuilt????
Fit a new one or pair, cheaper in the long run.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
Had a leak in my cars front right tyre earlier this year. Had it in the tyre place twice & they couldn't find any issues. Tried slime, but that didn't work either. In the end i replaced the tyre, no issues since.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
My old boss ran his company car for 5 years with a tyre full of gunk.

But it wasn't his car it was.leased so if it had blown and caused damage not his problem

But if it hurt or damaged someone else.......

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back