What is the thinking on 30 kph zones in France. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Coming down here this morning completely off motorways we have come through numerous villages that have these 30 kph zones, you no sooner come out of one and you are in another.
This is actually slower than the Welsh 20 mph but have never heard any comments on this one.
It's actually less than 19 mph and all but impossible to keep to but the thing is the french don't seem to take any notice of them.
Is it certain parts of the day or what.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Used to enjoy travelling down through the smaller roads/villages but it just takes so long now, and is more uncomfortable, between reduced speed limits, traffic calming measures and roundabouts we tend to use other routes.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Crazy 10kph limits here in Spain, but most are 20kph.
There comes a point that when they are so silly everybody just ignores them and drives at what speed they think is right. Occasionally you get a swivel eyed loon doing the limit but it's so slow they are very easy to overtake.
Lots of speed humps but on the bike you can either go round them or just stand up and the bike rocks over them šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘

Screenshot_20240907_163834_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20240907_164540_Maps.jpg

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We have been pottering down the bye ways in France and in our experience not all villages have them. Some 70 kph, some 50 kph but some have 30 Kph just in the very centre only or by schools, shops, markets, tight narrow streets.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Coming down here this morning completely off motorways we have come through numerous villages that have these 30 kph zones, you no sooner come out of one and you are in another.
This is actually slower than the Welsh 20 mph but have never heard any comments on this one.
It's actually less than 19 mph and all but impossible to keep to but the thing is the french don't seem to take any notice of them.
I can put up with it in France because unlike Wales they give me free overnight parking and plenty of free water and waste disposal. Also speed limit positions are generally sensible
We used to love going to Wales but donā€™t bother now overpriced parking and speed limits used as a cash cow.
Weā€™ve not missed it

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
France is a sovereign country, they can do what they like.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 1, 2021
Guardamar del Segura, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
No issues for me in either the car or MoHo, have had 10, 20 and 30 kph limits here in urban areas of Spain for some time now and you get used to it, in fact I have to say itā€™s fairly well abided by as well, which does surprise me šŸ˜€

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I have generally found all continental limits to be sensible. Even on the main roads they sensibly bring the limit down over a few hundred metres near a hazard, then immediately you pass it, the limit returns to the national limit for that type of road. Here if we have a hazard, they bring in a 30MPH speed limit about two miles either side. When going through small villages or town centres, I am happy to do whatever speed has been decided for safety.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
On my travels through France the 30 kph zones are always mainly village centres or outside schools & are designated by speed bumps that require you to nigh on stop.
I've never seena 10kph one around here & an article I read from Trafico said they were unenforceable due to the fact that anyone running is exceeding that limit ,as well as any cyclist, who also exceed 20kph limits
There comes a point that when they are so silly everybody just ignores them and drives at what speed they think is right.
Yes no one does around here.Plus since we have lived here we have a dual carriageway at the top of the road around 4kms long in to town .it is 50kph. Most travel around 100kph & lorries on the limiter. At the traffic lights it changes to a 100kph limit. That way there are regular speed camera checks whereas the 50 kph limit has never had any type of enforcement to the extent even the policia national, policia local, trafico & the Guardia will overtake you if you are doing 50kph

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have generally found all continental limits to be sensible. Even on the main roads they sensibly bring the limit down over a few hundred metres near a hazard, then immediately you pass it, the limit returns to the national limit for that type of road. Here if we have a hazard, they bring in a 30MPH speed limit about two miles either side. When going through small villages or town centres, I am happy to do whatever speed has been decided for safety.
I wasn't complaining, just asked what others thought of it seeing there is uproar at the Welsh ones which are actually faster than these.
Also I think it's bringing on the demise of french villages as by what as been said on here people are just not going and sticking to bigger faster roads.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7010
Exp
Since 1974
Mayenne town is designated a 30Kph area within the town limits , but where the main through routes i.e. RN12 are not within an urbanisation or shopping area the limit is 50Kph which is designated via roundels with 50 within them painted on the road.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
There comes a point that when they are so silly everybody just ignores them and drives at what speed they think is right. Occasionally you get a swivel eyed loon doing the limit but it's so slow they are very easy to overtake.
Lots of speed humps but on the bike you can either go round them or just stand up and the bike rocks over them šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘

View attachment 945865

View attachment 945867
Yep I know that road the Speed limit is for CYCLES that's why there is also a icon of a bicycle
the road speed for cars is (or was in January ) 20kph

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yep I know that road the Speed limit is for CYCLES that's why there is also a icon of a bicycle
the road speed for cars is (or was in January ) 20kph
I thought the triangle cycle sign is a warning that cycles cross the road in front of the roundabout... ie The red cycle path.

As you know you've got to be really careful at the top, you've got cycles, pedestrians, e-scooters, invalid scooters all crossing in front from both directions. And Of course the usual cars from the left to give way to.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
This year traveling in France, after a few posts on here I decided not to use the autoroutes as much but instead avoided them. Driving through areas I am very familiar with I noted the following. Fuel consumption improved, but only marginally, this was offset by the increase in miles to the same destination. It took a lot longer, it surprised me just how much longer, due to distance, traffic, and lower limits through towns and villages.
What we have decided to do in future is use autoroutes when moving some distance but go off piste if less than say 100-150 miles. The only real annoyance were the neverending roundabouts. I do appreciate that autoroutes have to be paid for but this doesn't trouble me, the quality of the roads is generally far superior to ours.
For us, the real benefit of the low speed limits in towns and villages is when we are cycling, this is very welcome as it is at home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back