What is the point of a flexible ticket with Brittany ferries? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I've just changed online our upcoming flexible booking with Brittany ferries by 6 days, midweek, low season and its cost me £53!

We make about 6 crossings per year ( normally Tunnel or Calais) and I can't remember the last time I paid to change one, I did occasionally used to pay £10 at Dover to get the boat that was just leaving but havent been asked for that for ages. We regularly change our tunnel bookings and even changed one from April to July at no extra cost. £53 is more than I used to pay for a crossings pre covid.

I have sent them an email and they've promised to get back to me within 7 working days??

May 30, 2013
Vale of Glamorgan, Barry, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2010
I tried to change my vehicle on a flexibooking online and they were going to charge me £35. As the vehicles were exactly the same size I couldn’t understand this so I phoned them the next day. I was lucky and got through after 10 minutes and it was waived. It was intimated I must have made a mistake. I didn’t bother to argue but am sure I didn’t !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I changed a ferry with bf but the extra was for the extra cost of the ferry not a surcharge.
Same here .

I always book flexo tickets, you can amend up to 4 hours before sailing.

I do the same with easyJet through their frequent flyer program. No cost to change and you only pay more if the flight price is higher

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Try booking the ticket as if from new and see if there is any difference in the price you paid. If it's £35 then you have your answer. If it's the same then ask for refund.

I always book a flexible ticket on ferries. I've even had a refund in the difference in costs before

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Try booking the ticket as if from new and see if there is any difference in the price you paid. If it's £35 then you have your answer. If it's the same then ask for refund.

I always book a flexible ticket on ferries. I've even had a refund in the difference in costs before

Good advice

Yes, I have done that. Seen the price is the same on a new booking but higher if amended.

Telephoned BF and they amended without charge

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Flexi bookings (any companies/crossings) mean you are allowed to change your crossing. Non Flexi you are not.

The charge will depend of the cost of that particular crossing at the time. If could be more expensive as it's at a more popular time or because it's nearer to the travel date and prices have gone up. It never promises to allow changes for free.

I generally never buy flexi tickets. If I am unsure about when I want to go, or there if I think there might be a problem I just buy the ticket last minute. However, I do only use Dover/Calaia and travel off peak when there is always availablity.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Same ferry same time, same cabin, just 6 days earlier, April sailings, plenty of availability on both of them. And it was allegedly a flexible ticket.
Yes so was it a higher price bracket?

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Instead of speculating, why not read the actual Ts&Cs on the BF site?
If you think they (rather than you) have made a mistake, 'phone them. I have never found them anything but helpful, despite what others say about their customer service.
Have you tried phoning them! I had to phone to get on the club voyage, almost gave up because it took so long, wondering why I bothered now.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I find BF Flexi's to be very usefull. I change my ticket a lot, I changed sailings three times in one morning once. (Don't ask). Expect to pay (or receive) the difference in price.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I use dfds.I always booked flexi when going to uk as no idea when I would arrive as worked around the dog.
simple 3 days either side of booked crossing allowed with just turn up & on next boat there was room on. No additional charge whatsoever UNLESS you were polite & rang to book an earlier ferry ,then they would charge you?🤷‍♂️

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We always buy Flexi tickets and have often changed our return crossings. Sometimes price goes up and sometimes it goes down. It does say that in the Ts&Cs. You’re paying for the convenience of being able to do it online and not be limited by their phone line.

Their phone line opening hours used to be Monday to Friday , I know this due to trying to phone them when we broke down on our way to Portsmouth on a Sunday evening , Glastonbury festival weekend! Hadn’t even made it to Blandford from Sherborne. As you can imagine we had a very, very long wait for a breakdown vehicle!

Bought Flexi ever since.

Reactions: Jim
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Have you tried phoning them! I had to phone to get on the club voyage, almost gave up because it took so long, wondering why I bothered now.
Yes I have ('phoned them that is) but not had to wait too long by "modern standards". Perhaps I have been lucky on the timing of the calls and avoided peak times.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I find BF Flexi's to be very usefull. I change my ticket a lot, I changed sailings three times in one morning once. (Don't ask). Expect to pay (or receive) the difference in price.
My ticket is a Flexi.

I've just gone back in as a not logged in new enquiry etc and the price difference between my original sailing and the new one is £20. I wouldnt have minded that. but I do find £53 excessive for a flexi ticket for basically the same thing.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ive just had an email from BF customer services, stating that the increase was because the new crossing was more expensive. I've sent them the screenshots showing that it was only £20 and not £53. I wonder how often they get away with this?

btw I did also check that the cabins were the same price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back