What is the life of gel batteries? (8 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
The D250S is a dual charger, with MPPT solar and a 20A B2B, charging from the alternator/starter battery. The lower left input is from the alternator/starter battery, the lower right output is to the leisure battery.
I have a. CTEK D250S on my van, but without the Smartpass. It seems to do a good job of charging my 2x 110Ah LA batteries. You cannot change the battery profile, and it is NOT suitable for Lithium. There is a newer version (D250SE) that caters for various batteries, including Lithium.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I had three lead carbon gel batteries from Alpha Batteries that lasted less then three years, they started to go down hill after being on hookup for two winters according to the shunt they'd never been lower then 50%, I've now gone to lithium.

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
I had three lead carbon gel batteries from Alpha Batteries that lasted less then three years, they started to go down hill after being on hookup for two winters according to the shunt they'd never been lower then 50%, I've now gone to lithium.
Did they replace them under warranty as they have a 5 year guarantee?

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
No, if you look at the guarantee sheet it's not worth the paper it's printed on.
That doesn't look good. I haven't even got a shunt !
Did you try to get them replaced or not bother?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
That doesn't look good. I haven't even got a shunt !
Did you try to get them replaced or not bother?
I didn't bother as it would have cost £60 to ship the three batteries back and they would most likely have refused the claim anyway. I chalked it down to experience and Offgrid recycled them for me when they installed the Fogstar Drift.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back