What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Gearchange fault again. In the spring had to be recovered as gear change cable rod-end pulled off. Yesterday floppy gearlever again. This time it was the C-clip that holds the outer sleeve in place. Mrs 68C driving "stop nowI
before we burn out the clutch" I said. "No there is a bus behind us". After half a mile and driving two miles into a housing estate she found somewhere to park. I am underneath considering how to fix it when a guy comes over from the adjacent house. "Can I help?", I explain the problem whereby he goes off and two minutes later returns with a Halford box of C-clips. How on earth did she know which random house to stop at to pick up the spare? Women scare me sometimes.
Suppose I should have fitted a new clip in the spring.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The Heiki is very heavy to raise and I'm afraid the plastic winder will break. I've WDd the hinges. Anyone know if it can be made easier? I'm female 77.
Don't use WD 40 as it doesn't last, you need a silicone spray, use it on the hinges and the side sliders and slider tracks too and you should find it helps.

Apr 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Water Leak
On the hot water side at a 'Y' junction it has leaked twice in the last year. On disconnecting the leaky 12mm water pipe it is a bit scored and the pipe does not have any plastic inserts. New piece of pipe, 'Y' junction and plastic inserts fitted. Fingers crossed!

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Fortunately not had to fix anything but did add these two seat protectors bought on Amazon. They look good and fit well.

696ff211-d92e-4d1c-99de-fbf10d3b513a.jpeg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Dometic 10 series fridge wouldn't light on gas yesterday, I could hear it clicking and could smell gas so two essential ingredients were there but something was obviously not right, I took off the bottom vent and gave the burner a tap and a blow through a small hole, hey presto it fired up (y)

In conclusion I think some crap has fallen down the chimney and was on the burner, it needs the little metal cover pulling off and cleaning/blowing out properly but as it's nice and hot now it can wait till we get home.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Fed up with the ‘all the clothes have fallen of the rail’ problem when you meet a British pothole or a French speed ramp I decided to take decisive action👍having looked at a few other solutions and being a fan of KISS I did what every right thinking bodger would do :-
View attachment 932740
Moved the rail up to within an inch of the cupboard ceiling! Now I get 4” of extra hanging depth and the hangers stay on (I have tried it out👍)
Just looking at the clothing :rolleyes::think::whistle2:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
The loo door catch. The shaft is threaded and should screw into the body of the lock but the thread is poor. When it fails, I get locked in! Gorilla glue has hopefully fixed it.
I've also fixed a bracket under the settee. The main support was screwed from underneath. Bracket now screwed on sideways and bolted vertically.
The Heiki is very heavy to raise and I'm afraid the plastic winder will break. I've WDd the hinges. Anyone know if it can be made easier? I'm female 77.
I find that I lift the roof light at the same time as I initially operate the winder, I believe it helps take some of the weight off, especially with its size and starting from the vertical position. Once it’s moving I lift until I can’t reach it any longer. It’s not a big push, but just enough to assist the mechanism 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 17, 2022
UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam
Exp
Since 2022
Well I would not call it fixed but the cylinder head gasket went on the way back from salt fleet gale
So I followed Wildman’s advice and put sum kseel well blow me apart from all the rusty water stains under the bonnet you wouldn’t think it had happened watt the hell is that stuff probably gummed up the work’s but seem to have worked Frome stemming traction engine to purring petrol will give it would never have believed it if I hadn’t seen it my shelf a good run today to try it out on to eBay
New fiamma awning fitted, easy 6 screws ! , new router and aerial, rear side light replacement, good scrub down and interior valet , well got to make use of my daughters driveway, as I’m a full timer ! Oh forgot a new cello tv !

D3A488CE-C04F-4233-879F-D5B8C50A7B8D.jpeg

4D5E055B-FD97-441C-9AE2-894937E658F3.jpeg

7E6B5803-03A5-410C-B78A-F30F2341966F.jpeg

IMG_2567.jpeg

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
What PP Bear said, and if the rooflight is a little too high for you to be able to lift it’s worth carrying one of these folding steps in your MH. Mrs O uses one often.

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
Well I would not call it fixed but the cylinder head gasket went on the way back from salt fleet gale
So I followed Wildman’s advice and put sum kseel well blow me apart from all the rusty water stains under the bonnet you wouldn’t think it had happened watt the hell is that stuff probably gummed up the work’s but seem to have worked Frome stemming traction engine to purring petrol will give it would never have believed it if I hadn’t seen it my shelf a good run today to try it out on to eBay
Not fixed. However, work progress.
Overhead cupboard door catch needs
20240624_180325.jpg
a touch of Ebay I think 🤔

Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
Replacing our rear number plate that disappeared in France! Also something mechanical (possibly a roll bar) at the moment, and when we get it back two fridge/freezer locks and sewing the magnets back on our window blinds! We need a new window for the bathroom sky light because the insect netting has disintegrated! All after 8 weeks in France!

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
KSeal is a substance that sits inert in your radiator system until it comes into contact with air, it then deposits a ceramic that seals the leak will stop a rad leak, hose leak and even as Bill has just found out a head gasket leak the blurb on the container says its good for the life of the engine and will NOT clog the radiator unlike radseal etc all my vehicles have a can in its an excellent and rapid fix for a tenner. I hope that means we will now see you at the meet Bill, you can always stay a few extra days to make up for any lost time, a number of other funsters are staying on an extra week after the rally proper. I look forward to seeing you there and if Jay is coming might even dig out the football table. 12v Seminar is on Sat and Sunday bring your own meter if you have one.
Hi Wildman,
Regarding Bill's head gasket, having applied the Kseal does he still have to have the gasket replaced or is that fix permanent ?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi Wildman,
Regarding Bill's head gasket, having applied the Kseal does he still have to have the gasket replaced or is that fix permanent ?
Please don't expect a reply from Wildman as he is no longer a subscribing member and not been on MHF for over 3 years.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Bodged a fridge fan from a couple of spare computer fans, some plaster corner trim and zip ties. An old speed controller and a new digital thermo switch and it seems to be working. If it lasts our month across the water I'll tidy it up but no photos until then 😂😂

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Bodged a fridge fan from a couple of spare computer fans, some plaster corner trim and zip ties. An old speed controller and a new digital thermo switch and it seems to be working. If it lasts our month across the water I'll tidy it up but no photos until then 😂😂
Awe, c'mon, that's not fair, I've put photos of my sterling bodges work on here before! 😄

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
Replaced our driver side wing mirror indicator lens. Lost it on a jousting match with an oncoming Motorhome on the narrowest part of the narrowest wee winding road heading towards Loch Katrine. I’m blaming them and pretty sure they’ll be blaming me. £12.99 for a pair off of eBay. 2 small screws and new one fitted in under 5 mins

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I do not often have anything to contribute here but have got some jobs done prior to departure to Greece next week.

Fitted new catch to a cupboard.

Bought/installed HUD GPS - very pleased.

New double cigarette socket which also has 3 x USB + voltage display.

New DIN adapter.

New builders' bucket

Third Thetford cassette

Fittings to split/join 25m hose into 10m and 15m

But the Piece de Resistance is .....

Had outside cleaned by our commercial garage who always do an immaculate job - looks better than any Dealer's forecourt MH. Should stay like that as far as Italy. :LOL:

Basia had already given the inside the same treatment.

That is the most we have done to it in years.

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just fitted this TO THE ONLY DOOR!!!

IMG20240810143410.jpg

Please Note;

If you are fitting this to a Pilote, you may need longer bolts.
The walls are 'quite' thick!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back