What effect do the following security products have on insurance 2024

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe
Planning on a purchase, and I'm considering which security products I should budget for and what effects they might have on the insurance quotes. Things I'm considering:
VANBITZ growler system
Immobiliser
Bear Lock transmission disabler
Thatcham deadlocks on all doors
Disklok steering wheel cover
thanks in advance for any contributions

Reactions: f6c
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024
When I was getting quotes, I was told that removable security items, disk locks, wheel locks etc, didn't affect the quotes because they said we may forget to put them on or just decide not to use them for some reason.

They were interested in a tracker and immobiliser being fitted. We don't have an alarm so I don't know what effect that would have, but presumably a positive one.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
LV weren't interested that we had a S5 tracker on our over 70K new van last year. Mind you they weren't interested in how much we paid either! Competitive quote so we went with them anyway.....

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
We had to have a tracker, went with Adrian Flux who supplied one. The subscription is part of the insurance quote. Saga were a bloody nightmare, although we were insured with them, they wouldn't insure us to collect our new Hymer until we'd fitted an approved (by them) tracker. Trouble was, living up in the Highlands, even Inverness has no tracker suppliers or fitters, they come up from Edinburgh/Glasgow.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Depends on van value. My current van is the first that all insurers require a tracker. If your van value is below say 70k then don't get a tracker. They only help the insurance company.
This van doesn't have an alarm and never affected insurance. ( also less of a nuisance to us)
Immobiliser usually come as standard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We needed a tracker to get insurance. New van in 2021

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I've just been getting quotes and most companies wouldn't insure the van in a car storage compound with electric gates cctv and 6ft fencing because it wasn't dedicated motorhome storage but they would I sure on my drive at home with no security not even a picket fence ots bloody ridiculous they all make the rules up as they go along

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I've just been getting quotes and most companies wouldn't insure the van in a car storage compound with electric gates cctv and 6ft fencing because it wasn't dedicated motorhome storage but they would I sure on my drive at home with no security not even a picket fence ots bloody ridiculous they all make the rules up as they go along
Insurance companies have always made up their own rules, that is how their businesses operate. Most people seem to buy their insurance on price alone but as far as I am concerned other issues are just as important. I have had to change insurers a number of times because they no longer provided the cover I wanted.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, I've found that I sometimes assume a too high level of 'granularity' in how they underwrite - green alarm LEDs £1 off, red ones £ 2 off, steering wheel lock 50 p off sort of thing. It preoccupies me so surely it must preoccupy the insurer even more? And we try to understand the logic of what the insurers do.

But I think it's usually very much cruder than that. Percentage of claim costs due to accidents? Maybe 70%, Percentage due to break ins, theft most of the remainder. How much difference do all these things make? What is the claims variability based on these things, and do I have a sufficient sample to assess such variability?

Consider how many 'things' there are - the alarm system/immobiliser drop down menus alone run to quite a few lines. And consider how many incidents the insurer has experienced. And the relationship between each of the alarm/immobiliser permutations and the claims incidence.

They simply won't/don't have the data - they will end up with categories with zero incidents, or 1 incident, and you can't do stats on that. Nor can you justify all the admin effort. There's too much statistical noise. And it all depends on where the toerags are and that has high randomness and they don't care about your system.

So the underwriting brush strokes are broad, and the key determinant of whether a product is offered at a price is 'strategic' - was this product line profitable, is it the sort of business we still want to be in, what set of general exclusions and prohibitions should we bolt on?

When I had the Van Bitz Growler and the Meta Track thing fitted I needed codes for the insurers, which they then used. That box of the 20 there, this box of the ... And out comes a premium. Is it much lower? 🤷‍♂️

The security is for my benefit. The insurance implications are interesting but a bit of an afterthought.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
I asked caravan guard insurance if I needed to let them know I was installing a millenco door lock. They said it was a good idea but if I added it to the insurance then it will be stipulated that everutime you are away from the vehicle for whatever reason the security device / lock must be on. Or she said just have it and put it on as when you feel the Nedd to. I decided not to add it to the insurance and just lock it when sense dictates.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I asked caravan guard insurance if I needed to let them know I was installing a millenco door lock. They said it was a good idea but if I added it to the insurance then it will be stipulated that everutime you are away from the vehicle for whatever reason the security device / lock must be on. Or she said just have it and put it on as when you feel the Nedd to. I decided not to add it to the insurance and just lock it when sense dictates.
Sensible thing to do.

My house has an alarm but I tell insurers it doesn’t because I don’t always remember to set it.

Don’t give the sods an excuse to not pay out is my approach.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
One of the reasons I avoided alarms for many years was that the insurer can say that if the alarm was not on you're not insured. That was what I understood at the time. Then I had my van stolen from my drive while we were asleep, and now they insist. I do concede an alarm would have been a good idea.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Sensible thing to do.

My house has an alarm but I tell insurers it doesn’t because I don’t always remember to set it.

Don’t give the sods an excuse to not pay out is my approach.
Ditto, plus they required an alarm service contract on it as well!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010

I had an incident at a storage place back in 2011. Secure, dedicated, high fences, locks, lights, hundreds of motorhomes.

My van (with Van Bitz alarm) alerts me that the alarm has gone off. But it is/has been snowing and the roads are very difficult and it's late at night.

So I phone the police to tell them that there has been an incident at this storage place. They weren't wildly enthusiastic - probably the snow set it off, probably a false alarm, but ok then, we'll send someone.

Next morning I get there. They had broken in, stolen mattresses and a ladder (wtf?) and also did some other vans.

Van goes to Johns Cross, spends some months, parts get ordered in from Germany, bill of maybe £ 5k or £ 6k for the insurer.

Would this have happened on my drive? Not if I was at home.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
Only thing that fave me any sort of decent discount this year was by adding a tracker subscription to my Vanbitz Non-start system . Took the quote down from £1100 to £400.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back