What battery

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
I am thinking of going too A G M batteries is there any problem with these please & thank you

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
AGM batteries need special treatment to get the best out of them. Alpha Batteries have a detailed guide on how to look after them.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
There's a couple of lithium batteries in classified adds that seem a good price

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
It doesn't really matter what battery technogy you use. They all need the correct chargers to get the best out of them

How recent is your Rapido? And what technology are the existing batteries?

Often simpler to replace with like for like.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
It doesn't really matter what battery technogy you use. They all need the correct chargers to get the best out of them

How recent is your Rapido? And what technology are the existing batteries?

Often simpler to replace with like for like.

Don’t need to change anything, optimal yes, 100% required, no!

OP
OP
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Hi I got wet acid at the moment but only one battery I am thinking of going to two batteries maybe better to stay with wet acid but fit extra one l fitted a smart Victron solar controller so got that far but will have to change the charger to go to different battery’s? Thanks a lot for info

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Hi I got wet acid at the moment but only one battery I am thinking of going to two batteries maybe better to stay with wet acid but fit extra one l fitted a smart Victron solar controller so got that far but will have to change the charger to go to different battery’s? Thanks a lot for info
You don't absolutely need to make any other changes if you go for a low power LiFePo4 - say 100Ah but conventional wisdom is that it is best to fit a B2B if nothing else. Given that you can run a lithium down to about 10% an 100Ah is the equivalent of about 180Ah lead acid. If you want major off grid capability (200Ah plus) you are going to need B2B, upgraded mains charger and solar charger - also likely more solar on the roof.

You still have not advised the age of you MoHo. I would say if it is modern and has a smart alternator a B2B is essential. If your van is old first base in my view is to swap to led bulbs then consider battery changes unless forced on you earlier by a failing leisure battery.

My leisure battery began to fail too early in my ownership to have the knowledge about upgrading to lithium so I did a like for like swap (So an 100Ah lead acid) and then changed to led bulbs. Long term plan is a B2B and slot in a circa 100Ah LiFePo4. They keep getting cheaper but there is not quite the range of sizes yet. I need a low profile to go under the driver's seat and there is not much choice there yet but it is growing all the time.

There are others far more knowledgeable than me on this subject on this forum but that is the wisdom I have gleaned from them.

OP
OP
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Hi I have rapido A class 966 04 reg on a Mercedes done 30’000 my battery are linked I have led bulbs it’s just lost TV when wife was watching the Soaps just wanted to up rate thanks

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
If it's any use to you I can say I have two enhanced flooded batteries and an 80 watt solar panel. I heve never had the need to charge them when on a trip, the solar and driving charges them just fine and I can depend on them for at least four or five days if parked up with no EHU, all my lights are LED so the only real use is water pump, fridge and the occasional iPhone charge. Of course that is wine the weather is fairly good and not in the dark winder months. In short, I am happy with enhanced flooded and confident they will serve my needs.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Hi I have rapido A class 966 04 reg on a Mercedes done 30’000 my battery are linked I have led bulbs it’s just lost TV when wife was watching the Soaps just wanted to up rate thanks
As you already realise it will be the TV that is the killer for you. I suggest you measure up your existing battery and space to install a 2nd then compare prices of lithium and lead acid of the right dimensions for space available. I suspect you know that you cannot really mix the technologies.

If you opt for lithium you would be wise to fit a 30 amp of greater B2B. I don't have the skill to do that myself otherwise I would already be going down that path so I have to factor in the cost of somebody doing that work for me. Given that my lead acid is only 4 months old this is a 2025 problem for me and does not need sorting now! The fact that my battery is under the drivers seat and it is a pain to dismount the seat and get access to the battery adds to my enthusiasm for applying the maxim atm "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
If it's any use to you I can say I have two enhanced flooded batteries and an 80 watt solar panel. I heve never had the need to charge them when on a trip, the solar and driving charges them just fine and I can depend on them for at least four or five days if parked up with no EHU, all my lights are LED so the only real use is water pump, fridge and the occasional iPhone charge. Of course that is wine the weather is fairly good and not in the dark winder months. In short, I am happy with enhanced flooded and confident they will serve my needs.
Yes patterns of van use are also relevant to the decision. I am usually on an EHU if staying for more than a couple of nights. It is when I move sites staying only one night that I am without EHU and I am then usually driving for a few hours to the next site the next day. I am geared to two nights off EHU and can cope with three on experience to date but I don't watch much TV and when I do it is more usually on my notebook PC.

I can use gas for my fridge but my EHU need arises from a need to recharge devices - in particular my Ebike and PC Also I prefer to use an electric kettle in warm climates rather than gas and then there is the mini George Forman grill for the occasional bacon butty! Also it would be nice to watch TV on my 23" Avtex rather than the 13" PC.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back