What a plonker......! and on her way (3 Viewers)

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
that only checks the bulbs and hazard circuit, any faults in the individual sided indicator circuits wont show
The side indicators on the mirrors work if the hazard lights are on. The orange lights on the side of the van work from the side lights switch and again work without the engine on.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One of the reasons I hate vans with caravan style windows.

Way too easy to open from outside

The seitz windows in frames are much harder to open that way
Actually when we were in Pisa a couple of years ago next to us was another camper ... both our 'caravan style' window and their flush window were forced, so IMV they don't offer any more protection, in fact the flush ones allow better leverage force due to their tight fit whereas our windows tend to have a bit of give in them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a word of caution ref the 'lock-m-out' type slide over deterrents. They won't give a toss if they're fitted or not as they pull the window until the catches break ... or the window does!

We've seen 2 motorhomes on our travels with broken windows because the catches didn't give when they were being broken into ... if it's gonna happen I'd rather have the catches break which can be easily replaced than the whole window.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
The side indicators on the mirrors work if the hazard lights are on. The orange lights on the side of the van work from the side lights switch and again work without the engine on.
yes, all the indicator bulbs will flash with the hazards but the circuits from the indicator stalk are not the same so your hazards could work but the stalk circuit does not and vice versa

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Crikey, if you are testing the electrics to that level you will need a full diagnostics kit and a full half day testing before setting off anywhere.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Just a word of caution ref the 'lock-m-out' type slide over deterrents. They won't give a toss if they're fitted or not as they pull the window until the catches break ... or the window does!

We've seen 2 motorhomes on our travels with broken windows because the catches didn't give when they were being broken into ... if it's gonna happen I'd rather have the catches break which can be easily replaced than the whole window.
Can’t disagree with what you say but that applies to all preventative measures. If someone is determined to break in, they will, and will do more damage whatever device they are trying to overcome.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can’t disagree with what you say but that applies to all preventative measures. If someone is determined to break in, they will, and will do more damage whatever device they are trying to overcome.
Yes ... if they want to be in, they will be in, but having to replace a catch rather than a whole window is a lot easier ... having met someone who had set off on a long tour and shortly after arriving in the EU were broken into and had their window cracked in half, it can cause a LOT of hassle and extra expense as he couldn't get the window abroad so rather than cancel his trip, return to the UK to get it sorted and then set off again, he decided to pay to have it temporary 'bodged' which I think cost him €300 or so, something which he couldn't claim back from his insurance company. It wouldn't have taken any longer for the miscreants to break the window than break the catches but the hassle/cost involved was much greater.

We did consider the Lock-m-out seriously and if we ever did decide to get any the first thing we would do is spray them luminous yellow so they can be easily seen from outside as it isn't obviously the are even fitted with them being black. The makers of these have had this mentioned to them by lots of people but still choose to only produce black ones!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Minxy Girl
Firstly, any determined thief that over-rides physical anti-theft measures will do damage. That’s no justification for not bothering to improve security.

However, secondly, your idea of spraying the Lock-em-out bright yellow, to make them show up, is inspired. I will buy a can of spray paint tomorrow!(y)

We have a Tracker, fit a strap between the front doors, turn and lock the driver’s seat when we leave it parked, and have the Lock-em-out.

Short of not going away at all that’s all I am prepared to do. We are supposed to enjoy motorhoming, not obsess over it.

Happy motorhoming to all.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Minxy Girl
Firstly, any determined thief that over-rides physical anti-theft measures will do damage. That’s no justification for not bothering to improve security.
Where did I say that it was? In our camper we have an alarm and an immobiliser and I have put in window bars which would prevent someone getting in easily even if they did force the windows, they also stop the dogs 'falling' out too! :D

If you want to use these window things then that's your choice - all I'm trying to say is that people can add as much security stuff as they wish but few think of the 'consequences' of doing so and therefore don't always way up the additional perceived security pros against the cons of the extra damage done because of having them.

Some fit a safe but if a determined thief wants the contents but can't get it open they have been know to rip it out of the floor completely (or wherever it's secured) and do a hell of a lot of damage ... this isn't rumour, it has happened. We prefer to use good hiding places for stuff so a thief would have to spend a LOT of time trying to find it and probably wouldn't anyway even if they did.

Its all about weighting it all up rather than just buying and installing stuff because it seems a good idea ... think about it in more detail is all I'm saying.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Minxy Girl
However, secondly, your idea of spraying the Lock-em-out bright yellow, to make them show up, is inspired. I will buy a can of spray paint tomorrow!(y)
If you want to be different you could go for some luminous green :D2 ... or pink! :X3:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If you want to be different you could go for some luminous green :D2 ... or pink! :X3:
I was serious about taking up your idea. I have a full colour range of acrylic paints in my “man cave” so may end up with a rainbow wagon!

At least you will be able to recognise us even if you can’t spot the Funster sticker!:)

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Frankly motorhome security is like house security. If they really want to get in or nick it they will. However, if a first assessment says this is going to be difficult, there is a good chance they will look for easier opportunities!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Frankly motorhome security is like house security. If they really want to get in or nick it they will. However, if a first assessment says this is going to be difficult, there is a good chance they will look for easier opportunities!
In which case make some 'mock' L-M-outs .... :D

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I made my own brake pedal lock out of some B&Q angle iron with some welding and angle grinding. The yellow paint for it cost the same as the length of angle iron. As its an auto, it cannot even be taken out of park.

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I've a Crooklok on mine when parked at home.... but it can't be seen 'on site' because of the Silver Screen......

Steve494

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E530
Exp
Since 2008
Hi All,
Just thought I’d post what we do.

I have a magnetic box under the motorhome with just a habitation door in and I have the rest of the spare set of keys hidden in the motorhome.
The logic being that if someone finds the magnetic box they have still got to find the ignition key if they want to pinch the motorhome. Also, if it drops off it’s not that expensive to replace (as opposed to ignition key)
One good tip is not to trust the magnetic box 100%. They are designed to be ‘stuck’ upside down under the vehicle relying purely on the magnet to hold it in place. What I do is to find a good place (there are LOTS of good places on a coachbuilt) such as part of the metal subframe and ‘stick’ the magnet ON TOP of the metal subframe. Then with gravity on its side all the magnet needs to do is to stop the box from sliding off.
I’ve done this for years (after locking myself out of a car once!)

I once had a phone call from my brother who had locked himself out of a car he had bought from me. I said to him “it’s a long shot but get under the car at the front and check at the bottom of the radiator for a little metal box” when he checked it was still there 10 YEARS AFTER I HAD PUT IT THERE!!

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
get a spare set of keys,
wrap several times in clingfilm
put into a rubber kitchen glove
(stay with me )
Crawl under the van and cable tie the "Saviour"
well out of site in the chassis recesses
In future
You may loose your keys
You may lock yourself out
and although you'll need to crawl to reach your squirrelled away cache
you will be glad you planned for such an eventuality.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
images

Doh............

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
get a spare set of keys,
wrap several times in clingfilm
put into a rubber kitchen glove
(stay with me )
Crawl under the van and cable tie the "Saviour"
well out of site in the chassis recesses
In future
You may loose your keys
You may lock yourself out
and although you'll need to crawl to reach your squirrelled away cache
you will be glad you planned for such an eventuality.
Some 'gentlemen' may have an alternative to the kitchen glove ... :X3: ... after all they're probably out of date anyway! :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Crawl under the van and cable tie the "Saviour" well out of site in the chassis recesses
... and swear like billy-o as you graze your knuckles and bash your head whilst trying to get the ruddy thing off! :D2

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Are we talking about the 'gentlemens' alternative here, Minxy...... !!!

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
I use a magnetic box which I attach to the metal back of the fridge - via the bottom fridge vent. I attach it slightly up from the vent so that it cannot be seen. To be honest, it is black plastic and looks like a fridge component so, not easily spotted anyway. Never moves and stays dry.
Easy access if needed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I use a magnetic box which I attach to the metal back of the fridge - via the bottom fridge vent. I attach it slightly up from the vent so that it cannot be seen. To be honest, it is black plastic and looks like a fridge component so, not easily spotted anyway. Never moves and stays dry.
Easy access if needed.
... you might want to find a new location for it now ....

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Ours is a digital key safe located under the bonnet, of the same type used at peoples front doors. :gum: Popping the bonnet will set off the alarm but it gets you the keys.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I've a Crooklok on mine when parked at home.... but it can't be seen 'on site' because of the Silver Screen......
Any child over 3 could be shown how to remove a crooklock. Its more of a joke to thieves and may even attract them as they then think all your security will be as poor. I could take it off as quick without the key as you can with the key.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
You can put as many locks on a plastic window as you want but they can still be torn open with no tools.
Its cheaper to replace some plastic catches than a whole window.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back