What’s the etiquette (1 Viewer)

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Parked up in an Italian sosta and returned the vehicle to find another motorhome parked 4-5 ft away when there is loads of space around .

Maybe he parked close to protect himself from the storm that happened an hour ago but what’s the etiquette ?

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
The etiquette is that you park to allow as many as possible to park. There is no such thing as the 6 meter rule except for the English. We were once the only Motorhome on an aire that could take 50. We arrived back from a walk to find another Motorhome just 60cm away exactly our doors width when we opened the door there was just a centimetre of space. How do they do it? I don’t think I could.
So the answer is: “When in Rome….”

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
In Germany at the mo near a full stelplatz with clearly marked pitches which are very wide, probably about 7-8m wide.

The P4N comments all relate to late comers squeezing between vans.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
In Germany at the mo near a full stelplatz with clearly marked pitches which are very wide, probably about 7-8m wide.

The P4N comments all relate to late comers squeezing between vans.
If you leave space for a van between then a latecomer will fit in the space regardless of the marking.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Ripped into a German in Rothenburg, parking longways and he pulls in front reversed up until about a foot away then gets out🤬 was out of the van like a shot and said move forward you t%%%%r as I will have to pull out in the morning and you have bikes on the rack very close to my van🤔🤔 he wasn’t happy but pulled forward 3 ft.
He then made a point of watching me in the morning pulling out of the space😁😁

Had a Spanish van park next to me in Germany and he reversed in about 9-10 inches from my step, waited until he stopped then spoke to him and he moved over. He was with 2 other Spanish vans that moved spaces 3 times before setting up then the chap they blocked in said he wanted to get out so they moved again😁😁it is comical watching vans trying to park😁😁

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Very civilised on all the French aires we have been on this past week. Minimum of 2m between vans.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
4 to 5ft sounds like luxury I don't see the problem.

At a wild spot in France saw a French guy come in parking next to another van he went and asked the guy in the other van to put his step in so he could get closer and the guy did put his step in.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Ripped into a German in Rothenburg, parking longways and he pulls in front reversed up until about a foot away then gets out🤬 was out of the van like a shot and said move forward you t%%%%r as I will have to pull out in the morning and you have bikes on the rack very close to my van🤔🤔 he wasn’t happy but pulled forward 3 ft.

Had a Spanish van park next to me in Germany and he reversed in about 9-10 inches from my step, waited until he stopped then spoke to him and he moved over. He was with 2 other Spanish vans that moved spaces 3 times before setting up then the chap they blocked in said he wanted to get out so they moved again😁😁it is comical watching vans trying to park😁😁

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Do love Aires,stelplatz, and so on but always practice “defensive parking tactics” which means taking into consideration the things that could happen dependant on how we park, we park to limit the actions of others.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Parked up in an Italian sosta and returned the vehicle to find another motorhome parked 4-5 ft away when there is loads of space around .

Maybe he parked close to protect himself from the storm that happened an hour ago but what’s the etiquette ?
When we parked up at Rue Du Port at at Marcoing last year we left plenty of space to the guy on the right of the photo and half an hour after we arrive a French van arrives and struggling to find enough space, parked a couple of feet to the other side of us. :ROFLMAO:

1715895849715.png

1715895862649.png

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Move?

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
We're parked up at Saintes Marie de la Mer and we're definitely breaking parking etiquette here. All the front row of vans EXCEPT us are owned by those of a Tuetonic persuasion 😀
Mike.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
On the Aire at Mende in town by river.
The spacing is very civilised here-so far, I’m fascinated by French vans that come in Madame gets out supervises the reverse into a spot then as soon as van stops she changes her mind and they move to another spot! Watched one do tho 3 times.
There is an off-road thing in town and motorbikes everywhere, we reckon about 600-800 bikes competing. Manic has posted a pic of ParcFerme

Apr 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
The moral of these tails is to "do a German". I refer to their alleged behaviour at hotel swimming pools - laying towels out at the crack of dawn. So get your folding chairs and table out pronto and your awning if permitted and park defensively.

Re the post of Two on Tour. How silly of you not realise that someone would want to hog the picnic table. You should have parked defensively and so closer to that table!!! Unfortunately there are selfish people of every nationality who do not consider others and squeeze into spaces barely wide enough for a go-kart let alone a MoHo!

A question: I am new to all this (with two trips Newhaven-Dieppe booked this summer as well as local outings) I mostly have pitches pre-booked with EHU etc but what is the etiquette at Aire, Sostas etc are you permitted to use your roll out awning? I imagine not but best to ask?

Chris

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I parked on the quay at Fecamp near the TIC. I tried really hard to get inbetween the painted lines but the French man next door indicated that I should move farther away from him (he didn’t know me so it wasn’t personal 😉). I tried to persuade him that I should stick to the lines but he was adamant.

That suited me fine because there wasn’t then enough space for another vehicle to get in next to the flower bed 👍.

Gordon
I think the lines were drawn for cars but the area was then allocated to MHs.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
For Sale
Aires are basically car parks for motorhomes, not meant to be used as a 'site', and you have no entitlement to more space than you reasonably need to park and get your door opened..

Of course some are like small sites, especially the ones that were formerly municipal sites, they may well have bays with hedging.. but that is the exception rather than the rule.

The guy who parked. 4- 5 ft way was protecting his and your space from another van squeezing in.. if he had left more space, when it got busy someone may have squeezed in and left no space .. I've had that happen , so close you couldn't get a locker door open..

As far as etiquette goes, from what I've experienced, there is little, it's grab a space, if not lined out, leave enough space to open a door , but if you leave too much space someone will squeeze in ... remember its a car park , not a site..

If you want your own pitch with space to spread out and relax with a BBQ .. use a site.. there are many in France that cost little more than some of the aires..

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
The moral of these tails is to "do a German". I refer to their alleged behaviour at hotel swimming pools - laying towels out at the crack of dawn. So get your folding chairs and table out pronto and your awning if permitted and park defensively.

Re the post of Two on Tour. How silly of you not realise that someone would want to hog the picnic table. You should have parked defensively and so closer to that table!!! Unfortunately there are selfish people of every nationality who do not consider others and squeeze into spaces barely wide enough for a go-kart let alone a MoHo!

A question: I am new to all this (with two trips Newhaven-Dieppe booked this summer as well as local outings) I mostly have pitches pre-booked with EHU etc but what is the etiquette at Aire, Sostas etc are you permitted to use your roll out awning? I imagine not but best to ask?

Chris
Officially, it's a no I believe. Unofficially, have a look around just don't be the first.
Mike.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Take back the civilised bit😀. Bloke on our right washing and hoovering his van at 08:00, bloke on left letting his grey drain straight on to car park.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back