We've got loads of Data allowance...but sometimes...🤔 (8 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I been reading up on here...on Facebook and watched a few YouTube videos.
Our Data allowance is good....and generally here in Spain we rarely lack a good signal, but....there are times that we haven't got a good enough or even none at all...
Internet for us is fairly essential...planning bike routes, places to stay etc...and entertainment...TV (Footie) posting on here and Facebook...
I'm considering, and therefore asking, What's the latest external Aerial and Router solutions that would help us stay in contact with the outside world..
Just to add.... I've got a spare hole in the MH roof...actually it was where the TV Aerial used to be...the pole is still there.... advantage Me..
I await a bombardment of replies..🤭😃😃🇪🇺

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
jumar. I too installed the Poynting 4g/5g 3-V12 antenna Martin, which until recent was connected to a ZTE MiFi. It is now connected to a house redundant TP Link Archer 600 router, which I power from a 12v USB socket.
Since installing the Poynting antenna, we have never failed to stream UK TV via the Firestick, but I have altered the settings for such, to reduce data usage where possible. ITV X is a bu@@er for sapping up the data, with no option to reduce it. :(

Good luck finding what's right for your needs. 👍

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes, YouTube (and Netflix and others) will automatically adjust both the video quality and the bitrate depending on the screen size and the quality of the internet connection.

If you want to save data you can manually change this in the YouTube app settings which has a data saving mode, or by clicking the cogwheel on a YouTube video and selecting a lower 'quality' from there if viewing on a laptop etc.
Understand that. But does bigger screen use more data.

For example, phone use is 1 data, tablet would be 1.2 data, 24”tv 2.2 data, 40”tv 5 data, all to show the same thing.

Bigger the display the more data needed to fill it??

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2024
In a tin box
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
Kinda...

The 'auto' setting will adjust based on the screen. There's no point putting out 1080p to a tiny 2" screen so it will just dial it down to the max that the screen can display.

A 144p resolution on a 62" screen will work, but it will look terrible! Technically it's the same amount of data as your 2" screen so it's not 'needed' from a technical point of view, but it's very much advisable from a human point of view!

That's being pedantic and taking it to ridiculous extremes - you are fundamentally correct.

The smaller the screen, the fewer the pixels therefore the less data required in order for the quality to look good.

Found a decent review here which gives you an idea of how much that can vary.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back