Westfalia removeable towbar and Atera Strada DL3 (7 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

TC3

Jul 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carado CV540 Pro
Hi guys anyone with the Westfalia removeable towbar on Ducato or similar van and use a Strada DL3? If so do the barn doors open ok or does the towbar sit too high to allow that?

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure about the removable aspect but my standard Ducato tow bar has 2 sets of holes for the ball to attach. I’m recalling back now to 2 years ago so may be a bit wrong. My friend had a removable tow-bar but I wasn’t certain if it came low enough for my barn doors, he had an Autotrail with a small boot type door so it didn’t matter. Hence me deciding to have a fixed tow bar fitted.

The ball in the top holes would not allow my doors to fully open

I placed the ball in the lower 2 holes and put our 2 bikes on the outer two of three racks and the doors did open fully but I had to make sure the bike rack locking arm was massively pushed down to allow the clearance from the bottom of the doors.

Not knowing if that was a good idea I had a 1” spacer fitted using the lower holes and it clears it with ease without having to use such pressure but still using the 2 outer carriers.

I’ve never tried the spacer with the top holes, which would be better for when the rack is slid back to give some better clearance from the ground if the land is sloping uphill, if that makes sense. I don’t have enough leverage to undo the bolts without going back to a fitting garage. 😜

Great carrier so long as you ensure it is locked in when you slide it back upright, can be a bit fiddly making the red pop up bullet come up. Hope this helps your thoughts, ask away if you want any more of my experiences 😊

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• TC3
Back