We're off to Scotland for a month today ... hopefully I'll survive the midges! (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well it's 1st August and we're off for a trip to SW Scotland for a month ... we've had lovely sunny weather for days and days but today, when we're getting the final bits in the camper and setting off, it's flipping chucking it down! :mad: Just hope it doesn't follow us up North!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Well it's 1st August and we're off for a trip to SW Scotland for a month ... we've had lovely sunny weather for days and days but today, when we're getting the final bits in the camper and setting off, it's flipping chucking it down! :mad: Just hope it doesn't follow us up North!
Don't you worry we're sorting it out for you!(y)
1722505518840.png

Just don't look any further out as we're off down south tomorrow and taking it with us. (y)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I haven't posted about what we've been up to as it's been pretty crappy to be honest.

It's been 17 days of Scottish summer ... more like autumn and winter! šŸ˜• The temperatures are way down on what they should be which hasn't been helped by it being constantly windy and most days gusting too so not t-shirt and shorts weather, we've been wearing fleeces and/or windproof jackets daily.

Quite a bit of rain, heavy at times, so we had to dig out our knee length waterproof coats, not used them since summer in Ireland in 2013!!! šŸ™„. These were supplemented with caps with ear flaps and straps for under chins, a real necessity unless we wanted to clear the cobwebs out from of our lugs. šŸ˜

We've had some sun but nothing to really write about as still cool except for last Sunday afternoon for about 2 hours when we were able to discard our fleeces. Consequently we've not been able to sit out much at all which is something we enjoy as do the pooches.

We drove to Ardrossan today but it was dull and windy so after a play on the beach with the pooches we checked the weather forecast for the coming week which is pretty much the same, or worse.

Short of driving hundreds of miles down south in the hope of better weather were pretty much stuck with non-summer weather so we are thinking of going home in a few days as 12 to 13 degrees days aren't any fun. šŸ˜

We have 'drowned our sorrows', or more appropriately 'sated our sadness' by partaking of the freebies from Lidl via their Spin and Win so we've been fed-up with the weather and fed-up literally with their goodies. šŸ˜ We've had chocolate brownies, hazelnut cream filed croissants, chocolate covered filled doughnuts, a jam doughnut, toffee yum-yums, cinnamon swirls, pastel de natas, pizzas, baguettes ... possibly other bits I can't remember! Oh, a chocolate muffin, well I had half of one as I shared it with hubby however he left his half unattended on the beach wall at Ayr so the seagulls enjoyed it!!! šŸ˜†.

Might not be a bad thing if we go home early as, due to all the free food we've eaten, we must be getting close to our max payload. šŸ˜„

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I haven't posted about what we've been up to as it's been pretty crappy to be honest.

It's been 17 days of Scottish summer ... more like autumn and winter! šŸ˜• The temperatures are way down on what they should be which hasn't been helped by it being constantly windy and most days gusting too so not t-shirt and shorts weather, we've been wearing fleeces and/or windproof jackets daily.

Quite a bit of rain, heavy at times, so we had to dig out our knee length waterproof coats, not used them since summer in Ireland in 2013!!! šŸ™„. These were supplemented with caps with ear flaps and straps for under chins, a real necessity unless we wanted to clear the cobwebs out from of our lugs. šŸ˜

We've had some sun but nothing to really write about as still cool except for last Sunday afternoon for about 2 hours when we were able to discard our fleeces. Consequently we've not been able to sit out much at all which is something we enjoy as do the pooches.

We drove to Ardrossan today but it was dull and windy so after a play on the beach with the pooches we checked the weather forecast for the coming week which is pretty much the same, or worse.

Short of driving hundreds of miles down south in the hope of better weather were pretty much stuck with non-summer weather so we are thinking of going home in a few days as 12 to 13 degrees days aren't any fun. šŸ˜

We have 'drowned our sorrows', or more appropriately 'sated our sadness' by partaking of the freebies from Lidl via their Spin and Win so we've been fed-up with the weather and fed-up literally with their goodies. šŸ˜ We've had chocolate brownies, hazelnut cream filed croissants, chocolate covered filled doughnuts, a jam doughnut, toffee yum-yums, cinnamon swirls, pastel de natas, pizzas, baguettes ... possibly other bits I can't remember! Oh, a chocolate muffin, well I had half of one as I shared it with hubby however he left his half unattended on the beach wall at Ayr so the seagulls enjoyed it!!! šŸ˜†.

Might not be a bad thing if we go home early as, due to all the free food we've eaten, we must be getting close to our max payload. šŸ˜„
That is a shame when things donā€™t work out as planned. Hope it is better next time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi use this
Thanks but we haven't had any issues with midges, probably because they're not jet powered so can't get airborne in the wind! šŸ˜„

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Oh dear, sorry to hear of your woes.
I know the saying goes "no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing" but constant rain wind and cool temperatures does evaporate all the holidays joys after a while.
Hoping things look up for you and your next trip is wall to wall sunshine šŸ˜„

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
It certainly has been as nice here in Dumfries as youā€™d expect this time of year but itā€™s still been shorts a T-shirt most days, there has been the odd time weā€™ve had to put a light fleece on but thatā€™s it.

Hopefully weā€™ll get a few decent weeks late summer into autumn

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It certainly has been as nice here in Dumfries as youā€™d expect this time of year but itā€™s still been shorts a T-shirt most days, there has been the odd time weā€™ve had to put a light fleece on but thatā€™s it.

Hopefully weā€™ll get a few decent weeks late summer into autumn
Hasn't? šŸ˜³ Unless you're a sadist! šŸ˜„

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If any Funster needs a night's stop over on the way north or south, just off the A697 near Greenlaw send me a PM.

Warning: there is no shop or pub here but we can offer lots of walks. Also waste disposal, fresh water and EHU.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Itā€™s dreadful up north ā€¦ weā€™ve just had our last week up in Torridon - cold, windy, wet ā€¦ our neighbours say worst summer ever ā€¦ back to work on Tuesday šŸ˜¢
I'm just having a whinge but do feel sorry for those who have been on their summer hols and have had such bad weather. šŸ˜•

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last time we went to Scotland on Holiday we had 25/26Ā° in April I think it was 2011, the year before we had similar in Ireland.
Not risked either since don't think our luck would hold out. šŸ˜Š

We play safe now and head south. šŸ¤£

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well, time for an update I think, we drove up to Ardrossan 10 days ago where it was very windy and freezing at 10 degrees with the wind chill! :cold: It also lashed it down again, something we've had most days and as the forecast for the week was pretty much the same we decided we'd cut the hol short and make our way back home where they were having sunny days and temps in the lower 20s. :rolleyes:

We drove back to Ayr for the night and in the morning the weather forecast had changed, no longer abysmal although still windy with strong gusts, but not so much rain expected and temps a little bit better so we changed our minds and decided to brave it out in haggis country for a bit longer. :sneaky:

We gradually made our way back up over the week ending up at Largs for a couple of nights before once again turning round to take a steady tootle homewards. Still getting some heavy rain at times but it wasn't quite as cold and we had a good few sunny spells, lots of wind though so sitting out was still out of the question.

We're now at Dumfries and will be back home tomorrow. Of course just as we're going home the weather is due to change for the better in Scotland, from Saturday it is supposed to be in the 20s and sunny all next week. šŸ™„

Nae mind, I'll just have to sit in our garden and pretend I'm sitting on one of the beaches in the sunshine. šŸ˜Ž

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
It sucks when you drive a long way and the weather is still awful.

We were thinking of going to the Alps for a ski trip January, we are waiting to see if it snows enough, and if it does if the weather is good enough. I can have crappy rainy cloudy weather at home much cheaper!

Hope it improves soon.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We're now at Dumfries

Hope youā€™re enjoying our home town, we did the C2C cycle from Stranraer to Eyemouth over 3 days starting on Monday. I think Tuesday was the worse day of the year with high winds and torrential rain for the full 75 miles, we still did it in shorts though so just like the mad runners you seen šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
And the locals o_O

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
Didn't want to say anything before...
but the East coast had lovely** weather throughout most of August when I was touring Aberdeenshire, Perth & Kinross and Fife.

As usual, much less rain than the west, no midges, loads to see and do (including deserted beaches) and plenty of good stopovers (check out Nature.Scot 'stay-the-night scheme).

**Note: My idea of "lovely" may not match everyone's - I pack away my long trousers & long-sleeved shirts in March and only get them out again in October!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back