Water tank sterilising

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW lt35 1995
Hi, I have a 20 ltr fresh water and 25 ltr waste water tanks behind the kitchen, inside back doors.
Question is, should I sterilise them?
If so, what with? And how often?
I only use the water once boiled ( except for brushing my teeth)
Look forward to answers

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I do mine once a year after winter break. I use Puriclean and after introducing into fresh water tank pull it through the taps and leave in waste tank for a while.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
I use white vinegar to descale the hot and cold water system. You can get 5l containers of it from Amazon.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Citric acid, use for all the pipework, tanks, and boiler. Do it in the spring, rinse through well, then good to go for the season. Occasionally, I retreat the cold storage tank as I have noted on frequent inspections there's quite often a brown residue in the bottom of the tank.
Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I thought acid based products should never be used in boilers? :unsure:
My routine, Citric [Use food grade granules] is safe on stainless. Fill the system, and boiler with a solution [ 1 tablespoon per ltr. Mine takes approx 15ltr to fill the system] turn on the hot water and heat it , apply the "boost " setting once, leave to stand for a couple of hours. replenish the cold tank, which will rinse that. Pump hot solution into the grey tank, through all the drainage outlets, this will clean the waste pipes as well. When the solution weakens off, [ you can dip your finger under the running water, it's not poisonous just very sharp taste] catch that water in a bowl [ to dispose of separately] so as not to weaken off the solution in the grey tank. Now take the van for a drive let the solution slosh about in the grey tank. Return home and drain off all the tanks as if doing a winter shut down, back blow through the taps to clear them ,now every thing is clean and ready for that seasons travels.
CHECK the taps the next day if possible to make sure no sticky solution was left in the tap body.
Others no doubt have their own go to additive and cleaning regime.
Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back