Water pouring from bottom of van when I have filled up the water

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi everyone- when I fill my 2010 auto trail Arapaho with water I assumed that when full water would over flow from the filling point - it does but also the tank overflows under the van - is the water tank not sealed - should it be or is what’s happening normal?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
Mine has an access cap on the top of the tank which unscrews . If not firmly screwed closed the tank will overflow when over filled.

Upvote 0

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B ARTO
Exp
Since 2012
I have an small opening in the top of my tank( a small pipe) and the water flows out the top when full and pours under the van,its how i know its full without going inside and checking the gauge. The top opening enables the air to escape as the tank fills ,so i would say its possibly nothing to worry about but best to get under the van and check it out if you have concerns.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Most tanks that are underslung will need a vent pipe which doubles as an overflow. If you manage to fill from a point half way up the side of the van, and do so quick enough, you may get water flow both from the overflow beneath that is perhaps only a few mm diameter, and then also the fill point.

If you don't have a vent in the top of the tank, it is otherwise sealed once you have the cap on the filler point, and so the water pump would be trying to create a vacuum. Not really going to work.

Problem with even the small underslung vent, that acts as an overflow, notable on a small tank like mine of only 60litres, is don't drive up and down hills, brake or accelerate sharply otherwise you arrive somewhere to find your tank has disgorged half it's contents.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
On many motorhomes, the boiler dump valve opens at 5c
It then means, on a cold day, as fast as you put water in, it comes out.
The solution is to hold the value shut and warm the area with a hair dryer

(Never be tempted to lock the valve shut with something like a clothes peg, as if the water does freeze you will need to buy a new boiler)

Other option is on some vans the tank drain has three settings, closed, so you can fill it, open, so it will empty entirely. and another setting that will keep the last 20 liters of water for travel.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
2 reasons for this if nothing is broken.
1) The inspection lid is not on properly? Cross threaded a bit etc.
2) It has an overflow pipe not quite near the top.

I would first look underneath to see where the water is coming from. If it is from a pipe you can relax. If not check the lid.
If both are good, then you have something more serious to look for I am afraid.

I have had and seen this quite a few times. The lid is been the most common problem.

If it hasn't come out a pipe, make sure you dry everything out thoroughly once fixed as any water that remains could cause problems over time.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Mine did this when I got it , turned out the spigot that holds the drain bung in wasn't tight so it leaked , tightened it up and it was fine

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
My AT is the same, it's how I know the tank is full.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dont own yet.aiming
Exp
we had a hymer s700...inside the water tank under the bench if you open the inspection cap and looked inside there an old fashioned cork plugging the drain ..only found out when under beath on inspactin and wondered what that was and pushed it,,,doh.... 50 litres all over the place...good luck

Upvote 0

HectorsHoose

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2016
Hi everyone- when I fill my 2010 auto trail Arapaho with water I assumed that when full water would over flow from the filling point - it does but also the tank overflows under the van - is the water tank not sealed - should it be or is what’s happening normal?
Absolutely normal. The tank has an overflow pipe. When we fill we stand back & wait till water comes out the overflow underneath & then we know it’s full (AT Apache 700).

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Usual on the Autotrail, mines the same 👍🏻
Ours too. It's the overflow.

Unlees, as I did last time out, I'd accidentally pulled the push fit fitting underneath apart. Set it running, wandered off to the loo and came back to a mini lake. D'oh

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
From the Owners Manual..........

Arapaho.JPG

Upvote 0

JaG

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
My Autotrail Cheyenne does the same if I fill it to the top with the tap full on. When it overflows from under the van it creates a vacuum that dispels about five gallons of water below full.
Answer. Wait for it to stop gurgling and emptying, turn tap back on slowly. When it overflows the next time turn off tap and it will stop running out straight away. Simple, and works every time.

Upvote 0

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Usual on the Autotrail, mines the same 👍🏻
My Autotrail Apache does the same nothing wrong and no adverse effects for a number of years, our Elddis CV20 that we downsized to does the same .

Upvote 0

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Our fresh water drain tap is outside 2012 AT Apache didn’t know any ATs had them inside 🤔 The boiler drain tap is inside though.
Maybe referring to the boiler drain tap , that was inside under the rear lounge seats on our Apache 700 , 2014 model. You correct though that the main fresh water tank drain down is outside👍

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
It's normal to overflow underneath, when you think about it if it fills up to the filler spout it would have already filled the shower and the floor of the van. :LOL::LOL:

Upvote 0

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
No longer have one
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Our auto trail Dakota did the same. It’s just the overflow and nothing to worry about

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Tribute T715
Exp
Since 2010
there is a overflow/breather pipe to allow air to escape when filling up with fresh water without this you would get blowback when filling but just in case check the heater drain down valve and dump taps for the fresh water tank.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Talisman
Exp
Camper vans for 20 years until 2020 when we bought our first motorhome
My Autosleeper Talisman 2004 and son's Talisman 2000 both do it. It's normal. As some one said, you need a vent on the top to avoid a vacuum. They could have used a oneway valve I suppose, but that would only introduce complexity.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back