Water ingress worries on new(ish) motorhomes (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Hi everyone

Just thinking of getting into the realms of Motorhomes and trying not to be put off.

Perhaps I’ve been giving too much credence to some reports about water ingress and distributors and manufacturers not being that bothered about doing the right thing.

I’ll keep researching and confident I’ll get some good information here.

John M

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
:welco:
Minimise the risk go for a German van preferably one with aluminium internal walls.
Probably not what you want to hear Lenny , I thought I was doing the right thing buying German , I had to reject 2 new deathless MoHo’s
First one , the roof totally delaminated, second one had a swimming pool in the garage, you could see daylight through 4 different places & could actuality get a screwdriver through the badly assembled joints , now have a pilote , no leaks yet but probably 20 defects had to be resolved

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
To be fair, we have had three new vans since 2003, all ex-stock, but unregistered at three different dealers. An Eldiss,(UK) a Bessaccar (UK) and a Euramobil (Germany) and none have suffered water ingress. However all three had to go back to the factory for build issues. Eldiss habitation door problem that the dealer couldn't resolve. New door fitted. The Bessie had no insulation installed above the overcab and the pull out for the dinette bed conversion wasn't installed square, and the Euramobil, habitation door not fitting properly and they found one of the rear end panels had been badly repaired after if left the factory, but before we (or indeed the dealer) got it!. However, overall, the build quality of the latter is better, but was far from perfect until it spent 11 hour's in Euromobil's factory workshop while we were local tourists for the day,.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Can only speak as a former tugger, and 1 motorhome.

2 new Bailey caravans, both leaked, one like a sieve!

Now have a Hymer and nothing leaks yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
I had one that leaked, but was able to return it for full refund within 30 days.

Don't buy private, buy from a dealer so you get a guarantee, and its easier to exercise your consumer rights.

When you get it home use the garden hose to simulate prolonged rain, (if rain is not expected) and check the inside. If any ingress, take extensive photographs and videos and exercise your 30 day money back guarantee under the CRA. Get legal assistance from your insurer if necessary (I did).

Not completely foolproof, but will help your confidence. Of course, during all this you also need to check all the onboard systems; take it away for at least a long weekend to make sure there are no other issues (gas, electrics, all fitted components, base vehicle) and you are happy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably not what you want to hear Lenny , I thought I was doing the right thing buying German , I had to reject 2 new deathless MoHo’s
First one , the roof totally delaminated, second one had a swimming pool in the garage, you could see daylight through 4 different places & could actuality get a screwdriver through the badly assembled joints , now have a pilote , no leaks yet but probably 20 defects had to be resolved
Had 3 Hymers no problems, collecting a new Carthago in a couple of weeks.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Had 3 Hymers no problems, collecting a new Carthago in a couple of weeks.
Our new Hymer had water ingress into the NS footwell which we found on our first trip out. Dealer traced it to a missing section of sealant and sorted it. No leaks since that.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Caravans or Motorhomes it’s the luck of the draw. One employee who’s lazy and no sealant and six months later damp. We had no gasket or sealant behind our external ehu socket which the dealer picked up on our annual inspection and fixed. Our Swift caravan three years old bone dry not so much our Lunar.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 15, 2023
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Welcome to the fun 🤩

We had the same dilemma last year with the story’s of damp and poor build quality and the Italian bit at the front, we found that Hymers were high up on build quality, so spent a little more than we wanted to on a low 17,000 mile hymer and absolutely love it, from what I read now build quality seems to be better pre covid ? The only thing we would possibly change is having LHD as we can’t wait to get abroad in it but sure we’ll manage, select Motorhomes has a good selection and advertises on here, they had a lovely hymer in the last time I looked with air suspension and LHD.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Well, 9 years on and our Rapido is as dry as a bone as they say. It is making it difficult to decide whether to change it!

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Oh blimey, look what you've done, you've started them off!

Whatever you do, don't mention toilets or tyres! I did once, but I think I got away with it :LOL:

Welcome to the forum. You will hear all the horror stories, but they are few and far between, it's just that they make a better read!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back