Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
We’re in the Algarve on a site with a lot of people parked up for the summer. In addition to the plastic fences and wheel covers they seem to hoard plastic bottles full of water. Sometimes hidden behind their pitch, sometimes proudly on display in front of their van.

Why? Are they just a cheap way of making a 5kg weight - if so, why so many? Or are they actually water storage - if so, surely there are better ways.

IMG_0391.jpeg

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We’re in the Algarve on a site with a lot of people parked up for the summer. In addition to the plastic fences and wheel covers they seem to hoard plastic bottles full of water. Sometimes hidden behind their pitch, sometimes proudly on display in front of their van.

Why? Are they just a cheap way of making a 5kg weight - if so, why so many? Or are they actually water storage - if so, surely there are better ways.

View attachment 965420
I thought they were for holding down ground sheets? I think that’s what they’re used for in Beni when the ground is too hard to hammer a spike into.

I may be wrong … I was once … :rofl:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
If they are south facing it might be free hot water, can't say i'd go that far but we sometimes put a couple of 1.5 litre bottles on the dash.

Pete

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Currently @Tavira Motorhome Park.

They consider using water bottles as a weight, be it to keep the clothes horse stable or to keep the groundsheet down as a no-no.
There is a water shortage on the Algarve and the use of water as ballast is considered a waste of natural resources.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In the hills above estoi there are lots of olive trees and others but there are little sheds all over the place and all these have stacks of water in various sized bottles which appear to be filled with the spout off these sheds , I always assumed they watered the trees with them.
They are not holding anything down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010

View attachment 965420

Are they Portuguese people?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If they are south facing it might be free hot water, can't say i'd go that far but we sometimes put a couple of 1.5 litre bottles on the dash.

Pete
Go careful. We used to keep a 5litre bottle of water just inside the door of our 1st IH. We’d done it for ages. But one year on Villasol we must have been on a particularly sunny spot as we suddenly noticed a melted spot on the corner of the carpet, one of those nylon types. It must have been where the sun was shining through the water like a magnifying glass.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Could they be to stop dogs peeing up their awning?
Meg a German in Greece who put them by his wheels for that reason.

Its flipping dangerous as with hot sun on them they can act like a magnifying glass and start a fire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Mostly used for weights but also to stop cats going under van and ….💩

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!