r8ck_chick

Free Member
Oct 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Hi y'all

A little advice and guidance please.

We've just bought an old concorde charisma (2001 model).

We're just getting her ready to head off to morocco / Europe for the winter.

The garage is obviously massive and the water feed is already in for a shower so we're thinking of buying a washing machine.

Am I correct in thinking that a standard house machine will be fine or am I missing something?

My understanding is that the waste water is pumped out anyway so it won't matter if the machine is a bit lower than the grey waste tank.

Obviously we will wash on quick cycle to save the water and probably cold wash.

Any machine recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Eva

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There are small washing machines available for large motorhomes. Ordinary domestic front loaders are extremely heavy due to a large counterweight to the drum.
We have a portable twin tub which weighs little but may not meet your needs.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Firstly, Welcome to Fun 🤩

Not heard of anyone in the UK installing a domestic washing machine in their garage.Have heard if smaller units being used, but they’re not that common.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nice Motorhome. (y) Remember that garage size is not indicative of the weight you can put in it. They are designed for storing lightweight bulky items like cycles. An average washing machine must weigh-in at over 100 kg which would put much more than 100kg onto your back axle. Given that much of your available storage is in the garage, I would say give it a miss.

There are lightweight twin tubs that do a good job, they are bulky, but your garage is designed to carry stuff exactly like it (y). Meanwhile, welcome to the Fun (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi r8ck_chick

Welcome to fun and congratulations on your purchase, I have seen a few people fitting washing machines in these larger vans with decent payload, for me a full size one would just ruin the garage space so that would be a non starter ;) I have seen these, Just to give an idea of size I have seen these fitted in a gas locker when the van has a tank so the locker space is vacant.

IMG_1514.jpeg

Fitted in the garage of a Palace(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have used and sold lightweight twintubs for a number of years and they wash better than home machines, faster and cheaper! I have a couple left in stock in my garage. They are very hard to find at the moment due to increased shipping costs from china.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We have a Charisma and use a little twin tub. It washes well, spins very well indeed and is light. Also if you do a bit of hand washing it can be spun in the machine. The one we bought was about £100.

We usually travel in cold climates and so I usually do the washing in the garage and hang it up on one of those retractable washing lines (it has 5 lines, so plenty of hanging space).The washing lines go across the garage ceiling.

It might not be easy if you’re tall to stand in the garage but I’m a petite woman at 5’2” and I can stand up straight. The garage is heated so the washing dries quickly.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When we were waiting for the ferry to the north island of New Zealand a guy next to us with a coach build showed us the improvements he had made. He had a washing machine built into the garage area under the rear bed. I think it must been a smaller machine because the bed wasn’t too high off the floor.
Compared to the PVC we hired it was like a palace.

TaylorSwift

Free Member
May 6, 2022
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2020
I have used and sold lightweight twintubs for a number of years and they wash better than home machines, faster and cheaper! I have a couple left in stock in my garage. They are very hard to find at the moment due to increased shipping costs from china.
Do you have a link jezport?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Do you have a link jezport?
I only have a few left so they are not advertised, they are like these below but I sell them at £90

OP
OP
R

r8ck_chick

Free Member
Oct 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Hello everybody. Thanks so much for all the replies.

I honestly didn't even consider the weight; just thought garage would be OK for it since I've seen people with motorbikes in them and they must be very heavy.

So a small washing machine like the Candy aqua that my river rat buddy has would be OK?

Was I right about the water being pumped out?

Any ideas about power needs, the bus came with a 1600w invertor but we're not sure if it'll be enough.

I love those wall mounted machines, very cute!

OP
OP
R

r8ck_chick

Free Member
Oct 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Once a month! Lucky you.

We're future planning for our new arrival next year as well so imagining a time when there's a lot of dirty things to be washed 🤭🙈😂

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi y'all

A little advice and guidance please.

We've just bought an old concorde charisma (2001 model).

We're just getting her ready to head off to morocco / Europe for the winter.

The garage is obviously massive and the water feed is already in for a shower so we're thinking of buying a washing machine.

Am I correct in thinking that a standard house machine will be fine or am I missing something?

My understanding is that the waste water is pumped out anyway so it won't matter if the machine is a bit lower than the grey waste tank.

Obviously we will wash on quick cycle to save the water and probably cold wash.

Any machine recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Eva
Can’t help with your specific question but I love the older Concordes, any photographs?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
A mate lives off grid and uses a washing machine. He can only cold wash mind and then only when the sun is shining. Will you be on hook up? If not it may take a lot of driving to replenish the power use.

1600w should be enough depending on the spec, I would check the rating on the appliance.

If you aren’t carrying anything else heavy and have a little one, I would go for it. Only babies can have a brand new outfit on and bodily fluid them in seconds. :)

They do indeed pump out, so waste is no issue. Just check the water system on the van as if they are micro switches rather than a pressure switch, it will fill with water and nothing will happen unless you fit a pressure switch to turn the pump on.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Once a month! Lucky you.

We're future planning for our new arrival next year as well so imagining a time when there's a lot of dirty things to be washed 🤭🙈😂
We just pack it in a black sack until we have a full load. Load the washing machine and go and get the shopping.

OP
OP
R

r8ck_chick

Free Member
Oct 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Here's a pic of our bus. Looks like something out the 80s 😂 We were thinking of driving around in shell suits in matching colours 🤭

Not planning on using hook up, we've got 1500W of solar though so I'm pretty sure we'll be OK for power being topped up.

Thanks for the advice everyone 👍

Attachments

• IMG_5823.jpg
    IMG_5823.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 101
Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
When we were waiting for the ferry to the north island of New Zealand a guy next to us with a coach build showed us the improvements he had made. He had a washing machine built into the garage area under the rear bed. I think it must been a smaller machine because the bed wasn’t too high off the floor.
Compared to the PVC we hired it was like a palace.
We also hired a PVC in New Zealand. The van was a piece of sh+t but we still had a great time

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
100% agree...we have a plastic camping twin tub and had one for 5 yrs on our boat too...they are the best things ever and not only has it paid for itself 10 times over but my wife also swears that it cleans her whites better than anything else too... its also portable and light which beats built in machines hands down. Oh and we have no problem powering it off our solar/inverter either.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Hi r8ck_chick

Welcome to fun and congratulations on your purchase, I have seen a few people fitting washing machines in these larger vans with decent payload, for me a full size one would just ruin the garage space so that would be a non starter ;) I have seen these, Just to give an idea of size I have seen these fitted in a gas locker when the van has a tank so the locker space is vacant.

View attachment 680077

Fitted in the garage of a Palace(y)
We have the exact machine fitted in what was meant to be the gas locker, we don't need the locker as we have a large gas tank. The issue with these machines when installing is they do not have a waste water pump, they are designed to be installed on a wall so rely on gravity to empty. We had ours installed in Germany by a company who have fitted many of them. They install an additional 1L tank low down to allow the machine to empty. The tank is fitted with a level switch and a pump so the tank starts to fill the pump kicks in and pumps the water to the grey waste tank. It uses around 20L of water for a wash. We had ours installed with a bypass valve which allows us to control the inlet water. They are designed like most washing machines to use only cold water for all washes below 90 Degrees (this one uses cold for all washes) So the bypass valve allows us to heat the water in the Alde by using gas then use that water at the inlet which prevents us wasting precious inverter power when using off grid.
It works extremely well and we would not be without it and surprising how much you can get in it. The main concern I would have if fitting myself would be how and where to secure it, it really does create a lot of energy when it goes into spin.
I could add some pictures if anyone is interested in the actual install?

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Back of the garage is a long way past the axle, it might be a good idea to find the specs if available for that van and check the overall garage loading, as opposed to the vans payload. 100kg bouncing around that far back will affect the front axle. Especially on infamous Moroccan ramps.
Mike

Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
I bought a washing machine in an Italian outlet that is a top loader ,cold fill only. No need for electric heating ,They are not as heavy either , Washes & spins .The water supply in the Concorde(shower in garage) would do perfectly for such a machine .An outlet hose to a site drain for emptying ,or into a container could suffice .

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Not sure about the inverter power. The big issue with automatic front loading washing machines is the start up or inrush current to the motor which happens every time the drum starts moving. Several years ago I had a machine on a fused spur which kept blowing even on a cold wash. A sparky friend put clamp meter on it and it was drawing over 20 amps for about half a second each drum start. Put it onto a standard ring = no problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back