Warranty? Private sale. (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hunting
I’m getting closer to finalising a private purchase.
Looking for recommendations for a warranty company please?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
My personal opinion is that they are an insurance product’ and are generally useless as the parts that are covered are full of exclusions.
Assuming a policy is anything from £300 to £1000 a year depending upon total claim limits ect, I would put the money in a savings ISA or buy some premium bonds and hopefully have more at the year end with no motorhome failures.
A water pump or lpg regulator are fairly common faults but neither would cost more than £100 and you don’t need to have an insurance approved repairer do the work.
Good luck with your purchase

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
From experience insurance companies that offer warranties are the most profitable that in itself should tell a story. The list of exclusions is long and complex, they will cover you for everything other than what you are claiming for as stated put the money aside and relax.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Plynchy
Aug 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hunting
After reading the multiple tales re Ford injectors I’m of a mind to not take the risk. At £1600 for parts alone that’s an expensive job!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If you haven't done so, have a careful look at some examples of the T's and C's imposed. Insurance companies will take every opportunity to get out of paying and you could face a lot of stressful argument proving that the cause of any claim qualifies under the policy.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
You can buy a warranty for any vehicle you want through various warranty companies.

Not really a warranty but an insurance products as said by many others. Too many exclusions and limits. Designed to be useless. I bought one for a car when I was young and naive and tried to claim on it but failed. Never again.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2017
Buckinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
My personal opinion is that they are an insurance product’ and are generally useless as the parts that are covered are full of exclusions.
Assuming a policy is anything from £300 to £1000 a year depending upon total claim limits ect, I would put the money in a savings ISA or buy some premium bonds and hopefully have more at the year end with no motorhome failures.
A water pump or lpg regulator are fairly common faults but neither would cost more than £100 and you don’t need to have an insurance approved repairer do the work.
Good luck with your purchase
Good advice. It's true what they say... They are not worth the paper they are printed on. As you say they are an insurance policy. Work on the basis they don't want to pay out.

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Good advice. It's true what they say... They are not worth the paper they are printed on. As you say they are an insurance policy. Work on the basis they don't want to pay out.
As my friend of many years often said
“The only thing an insurance policy guarantees is an argument in the event of a claim” almost true in every case I have known of.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I have recently read of a case where isurance company asked for error codes before entering a claim then said with those codes the cost would be above limmit so we are paying nothing not even for the diagnostics. Yes they will do anything to get out of paying.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also most of them have a maximum labour charge us about £45 some most workshops refuse to do work for them. Main dealers charge in the region of £110 to £150 + VAT per hour.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Had one once on a landrover disco.
Cylinder head gasket blown.
Dismantling to find the fault wasnt covered, only the repair and parts cost was covered.
As it happened the garage doing the repair was the same one i worked at and i did most of the work. .
The bill was manipulated to cover ALL costs inc new water pump.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Plynchy
Aug 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hunting
Thanks for the replies so far, most of which stating what I'm already aware of, that it's an insurance product, as is any warranty besides the original manufacturer supplied offering. I'm also well aware of T&Cs related to such products, I've been around the block, as have most of you.

Was looking for recommendations of reputable companies to enquire with, which seemingly is nil so far.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thanks for the replies so far, most of which stating what I'm already aware of, that it's an insurance product, as is any warranty besides the original manufacturer supplied offering. I'm also well aware of T&Cs related to such products, I've been around the block, as have most of you.

When a new owner with unknown experience posts an enquiry the replies will inevitably be broad ranging and it wasn't evident from your first post whether or not you had previously done some research. Quite often people post all manner of questions on Fun as a first resort without having done any research and without any prior knowledge or experience.
Was looking for recommendations of reputable companies to enquire with, which seemingly is nil so far.
If few have insured a privately purchased vehicle it isn't any surprise that there will be few recommendations.

My comments are meant with the best intentions, as are all the enquiries posted on Fun.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
In my experience they are not worth the money! Make sure you study the small print and see who the underwriters are first! Good luck with the purchase.
Totally agree except one car we bought had a bent drive shaft (think the servicing garage bent it when in their care as it was fine when we took it in and undriveable when we collected it). Anyway it was fixed without issues but I don't know if the servicing garage paid for the repair or the insurance company.

Also avoid the "pay in advance servicing" as they always find something that "needs replacing" but isn't covered by the service agreement.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We were given a warranty when we bought our Motorhome. We have claimed on it twice and found them very good to deal ours was a 2 year Gold policy

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun