Waiting for break down recovery in Italy (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I always buy the manufacturer specific diagnostics for all my vehicles. They always pay for themselves within a few weeks...

I had to clear a limp mode engine issue the other day on our current euro tour. It last appeared about 3 years ago saying the turbo was about to self destruct - 20k later it hasn't. Erased it this time and about 1k mikes later it still hasn't exploded.

I also had a limp mode on the Smart car a few weeks ago. Plugged it in to my copy if mercs Xentry/DAS but no errors. It did tell me I'd set the speed limiter to 30mph though šŸ„“šŸ„“

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
We had to use nationwide breakdown cover this summer three times in one day. Twice in France and once in Spain came out in an hout and half on all three occasions. Maybe you are too remote?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have you told your recovery firm you have moved? If you do them again you might then even slower if they turned to find you gone

Annoying as they were I wouldnā€™t go burning bridges just yet

OP
OP
P
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
Glad you managed to get it going. LIDL Europe had an offer on last week for an obd reader. It might be worth finding one near you.
Interesting. Will be passing one in a couple of days so I'll have a look in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
We had to use nationwide breakdown cover this summer three times in one day. Twice in France and once in Spain came out in an hout and half on all three occasions. Maybe you are too remote?
The European control center told us a couple of times that they always seem to have problems in Italy. The problem was finding a large enough tow truck for our (average) sized motorhome. Strange considering the number of MH's that visit the area.

OP
OP
P
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
Have you told your recovery firm you have moved? If you do them again you might then even slower if they turned to find you gone

Annoying as they were I wouldnā€™t go burning bridges just yet
Yes told them and closed the incident. Worst part is we are thinking about getting out of Italy sooner than planned as we don't feel confident they would be any better if it happens again. Shame though as the Dolomites are so beautiful.

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Not a lot really other than sorry canā€™t find a fault (after trying to replicate it for 3 weeks). Iā€™m waiting for it to happen again and then it will be a conversation with Fiat Customer Services. Intermittent faults are bloody frustrating but there must be a technical guy somewhere who can recognise the interaction of the 3 different systems and work out some possibilities. The positive is the van drives perfectly.

Video too big to post here but some screen shots all in the same episode if youā€™re interested. Only happens on starting and clears after a few moments, except red airbag light that takes a bit longer.

View attachment 945401

View attachment 945402

View attachment 945403
:oops:That's awful. Hope they can give you an answer as that's not normal.
But, from my own experience, they have not much idea of what they're doing.
So sad.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
It reminds me of the NASA space mission many moons ago (geddit?) when a warning light came on in the capsule indicating a serious fault.

Mission Control went into action checking every possible circuit and system but could find nothing wrong.

A highly qualified but young MIT graduate then suggested tapping the warning light with a pencil.
pOn doing so, the light went out and the mission was completed successfully.
JJ :cool:

I can believe it, my son works on Typhoon jets. It may be a Ā£100 million aircraft but turning it on & off again is still the way some problems are fixed!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It's peeing outside but at least we're comfortable and (hopefully) safe.

Thanks. It's too dark and wet at moment but I may have a look in the morning.

it's down to the one warning light now

Well I'll be blowed. After waiting almost 24 hrs and many calls for updates, and absolutely no indication of when to expect assistance, I decided to chance it and drive to the nearest campsite. Low and behold when I turned on the ignition no sign of any warning lights and it drove as if there had never been a problem.

Just an off-the-wall thought............
Had the rain stopped when you drove to the camp site? Could it be rain/damp getting on the electrics causing the problem, e.g. blocked/overflowing scuttle drains which have now drained or the damp electrics elsewhere have dried out?

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I also read somewhere something about an electric harness getting affected because of water ingress and causing general problems in the electronics.

There may be something in that, the scuttle drain clearly has potential to direct water where it isn't wanted and Iā€™ve heard mention of Fiat dealers blaming corrosion in a wiring harness which might be all linked?

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Does it on ours, peeing down we get Blackpool illumations on the dash, switch off let it stop raining, no problem, told its triggered by the obstruction warning radar sensors that think the volume of water is something in front of the van and like you we were waiting ages for the RAC to turn up only to be contacted by Fiat in the morning and told what was causing the problem and to ignore it if it came on when it was heavy rain!

OP
OP
P
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
Just an off-the-wall thought............
Had the rain stopped when you drove to the camp site? Could it be rain/damp getting on the electrics causing the problem, e.g. blocked/overflowing scuttle drains which have now drained or the damp electrics elsewhere have dried out?
Good theory Spriddler but it rained heavily during the entire night and continued with lighter rain the following day when all of warning lights disappeared so there was no chance of it drying out. I thought the days of heavy rain affecting auto electrics were long gone but you never know.

OP
OP
P
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
Does it on ours, peeing down we get Blackpool illumations on the dash, switch off let it stop raining, no problem, told its triggered by the obstruction warning radar sensors that think the volume of water is something in front of the van and like you we were waiting ages for the RAC to turn up only to be contacted by Fiat in the morning and told what was causing the problem and to ignore it if it came on when it was heavy rain!
Interesting. Maybe there is something to this...but surely it would happen to a lot Fiat MH's

OP
OP
P
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
There may be something in that, the scuttle drain clearly has potential to direct water where it isn't wanted and Iā€™ve heard mention of Fiat dealers blaming corrosion in a wiring harness which might be all linked?
I must admit I haven't cleared the scuttle drain for a while so that's on my to-do list.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I can believe it, my son works on Typhoon jets. It may be a Ā£100 million aircraft but turning it on & off again is still the way some problems are fixed!

Our shift sparky would always recycle the power before doing anything else, 99% of the time it worked šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back