Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I'm looking to fit a standby charger but comparing the Van Bitz/Sunshine Solar Battery Master to the Votronics Standby Charge I'm confused.

Votronic: 3a trickle charge to starter battery, 2 connections and £25
Battery Master: 1.1a trickle charge to starter, 3 wire connection and £70 (when available).

I've not got Lithium anywhere so am I missing something by going for the Votronic unit?

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I'm looking to fit a standby charger but comparing the Van Bitz/Sunshine Solar Battery Master to the Votronics Standby Charge I'm confused.

Battery Master: 1.1a trickle charge to starter, 3 wire connection and £70 (when available).

I've not got Lithium anywhere so am I missing something by going for the Votronic unit?
I have used the votronic for years no problem I even use it on my lithium setup although not recommended in theory it could flatten the leisure battery but with 500ah it's not a problem in reality.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

You have another choice, Ablemail AMT12-2 battery maintainer.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015

I don’t think you’re comparing the same type of devices. As I understand it, the Votronics only trickles a charge to the vehicle battery when the leisure battery is being charged.
The Battery Master charges the vehicle battery whenever there is a .85v difference between the leisure battery and the vehicle battery whether or not the leisure battery is under charge.

Experts will be along I’m sure but the above is my understanding.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
The Votronics is a simple device. It just allows current to flow from the leisure to the cab battery, providing the leisure battery is a volt or so higher than the cab battery. It has a resetable solid state fuse that opens if the current flowing is too high, then resets and cycles on like that to achieve a limited current flow. Of course, if you do not have EHU or solar topping up the leisure batt, both batts will slowly discharge. Don't know if that happens with Battery Master.
I took mine apart and was suprised how few components there are. I did ask the BatteryMaster what was inside their device. The rather curt reply was to suggest I buy one then I can find out! Fair enough I suppose.
My Votronics device has worked well for the last three years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The Votronics is a simple device. It just allows current to flow from the leisure to the cab battery, providing the leisure battery is a volt or so higher than the cab battery. It has a resetable solid state fuse that opens if the current flowing is too high, then resets and cycles on like that to achieve a limited current flow. Of course, if you do not have EHU or solar topping up the leisure batt, both batts will slowly discharge. Don't know if that happens with Battery Master.
I took mine apart and was suprised how few components there are. I did ask the BatteryMaster what was inside their device. The rather curt reply was to suggest I buy one then I can find out! Fair enough I suppose.
My Votronics device has worked well for the last three years.
With the battery master you don’t need a charge source on the leisure battery to keep it working, that’s why we have it over the Votronic as our van sits in a shed with nothing connected yet the BM keeps the starter battery tip top.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry, do not understand. The Votronics only has two wires between the two batteries. It does not need any external power. It is in effect a dam that allows a current to flow from the higher leisure battery to the lower cab battery. It has a diode or non return valve that prevents the cab battery feeding the leisure battery.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sorry, do not understand. The Votronics only has two wires between the two batteries. It does not need any external power. It is in effect a dam that allows a current to flow from the higher leisure battery to the lower cab battery. It has a diode or non return valve that prevents the cab battery feeding the leisure battery.
I thought it had to be over a habitation battery voltage of something like 13.6v to work, parked in a shed we don’t get those voltages.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
The Votronics device sounds like just the piece of kit I'm after tbh so thanks all for info (y)
If this is what you’re after….
image.jpg
I’ll send you one👍👍
I took it off when I had my lithium installed👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back