Votronic Solar Regulator (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Could someone with electrical knowledge answer a question for me.
I have a battery master fitted to my van. It is made by Sterling. This as far as I am aware puts a trickle charge to the engine battery when the leisure batteries reach a certain level. I am not sure what that level is. I want to change the solar regulator from a PWM model to an MPPT version.
My thoughts are a Votronic because it can trickle charge the engine battery as well. Question one, would this conflict with the battery master?
Question two, would I have to run both a negative and a positive wire from the Votronic regulator to the engine battery or could it be done another way? Question three, should I forget the Votronic and just go with a Victron regulator which just charges the leisure batteries?

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I have a battery master fitted to my van. It is made by Sterling. This as far as I am aware puts a trickle charge to the engine battery when the leisure batteries reach a certain level. I am not sure what that level is. I want to change the solar regulator from a PWM model to an MPPT version.
My thoughts are a Votronic because it can trickle charge the engine battery as well. Question one, would this conflict with the battery master?
Question two, would I have to run both a negative and a positive wire from the Votronic regulator to the engine battery or could it be done another way? Question three, should I forget the Votronic and just go with a Victron regulator which just charges the leisure batteries?
Are you sure it's a Sterling Battery Master as the Battery Master I am familiar with is made by Vanbitz.

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
You would only need to run a positive from the Votronic to the starter battery unless you van is completely isolated on the negative side which would be unusual I think.
The Votronic only puts 1a to the starter battery when it is harvesting, probably a lot less than your battery master.
Cannot say if it would affect the battery master as never had one. I have had a Votronic Duo for years though and great bit of kit. Only thing I would day is check prices, if Victron are still reducing their kit it will be cheaper than the Votronic, and as you already have a battery master…

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Do you mean Battery Maintainer?

OP
OP
Lazyboy
Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
You guys are correct. Sterling Battery maintainer although the dealer refers to it as a battery master.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Think I would retain the Sterling and fit your prefered single output MPPT although Victron via Offgrid Power Solutions (Funster Discount) might be cheaper just because if on EHU the sterling will still work, whilst Solar may not if its dull. or you're parked under a tree.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back