Vision Plus Master 100w Solar Panel want to add on. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
Some 3 years ago I had a Vision plus 100 watt solar panel with management fitted not very well as the guy used house hold mains wiring!!
I have a number of discussion points if you all don't mind?

I, initially, want to add another solar panel which the Vision plus system is set up for with their 'add on' package. However, it appears Vision plus may no longer be in business. I can still obtain a Vision plus 40 watt add on panel but I really wanted to add another 100w of solar.

Will the current wiring take the extra power?

Should I just remove the mains cable and start with proper motor flex - remind me of the size required!!?

Is it possible to add a solar panel of 100w from a different company? Is connecting the two a universal fitting?

Should I just dump the vision plus solar panel and just fit a 200 watt panel in it's place?

The box which controls the solar is good for 250 watts.
I am sorting this now in preparation for a lithium battery in the next couple of years.
Cheers
TIA
Don

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It sounds like the wiring was a bit of a bodge to begin with so I’d put one single 200w panel on and new wiring straight to your controller…

Craig solar are recommended on here and do some different size panels and also can supply all the wiring/brackets you need to go with the panel so all you got to do is fit it…

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
If your new panel is similar in voltage and amps to the existing panel the existing wiring would be fine if the panels are placed in series.
If you need to place in parallel then you need to know the cable size and do the calls.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If your new panel is similar in voltage and amps to the existing panel the existing wiring would be fine if the panels are placed in series.
It looks like the Vision Plus system has add-on panels in parallel, many of these generic rebranded solar controllers have a very limited voltage limit, and probably wouldn't take even two panels in series. Maybe you have the detailed spec of the panels or the controller, but it seems particularly difficult to find actual numbers, volts and amps, for these items.

I'd be tempted to get new controller, maybe a Victron MPPT 100/20 or 100/30, which has lithium capability, and can take at least two series panels. Then fit another 100W panel. Try both panels with the new controller, and if it's not very efficient put the original panel back on the original controller. Or just get two Victron 75/10 controllers, one for each panel - at least you'd be set up for lithium then.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Should I just remove the mains cable and start with proper motor flex - remind me of the size required!!?
You'll need to weigh up various options, so best to learn how to use a voltage drop calculator yourself. There's various ones online, I find this one is fine:
For example, for a 100W panel, the amps at max power (Imp) might be 6A. So for a 2m there-and-back run of 2.5mm² wire that will give a voltage drop of 1.52% for a nominal voltage of 12V.

You should aim to keep the voltage drop below about 3%, and for solar wiring people like to stay nearer 1% to minimise losses. The mains wiring is probably 2.5mm², that's what 's used for mains socket wiring in the UK, and there'll be a reel of that in every electrician's van. If you're going to replace the mains wiring, especially the bit going through the roof, you want to get that right so you don't need to upgrade it in future, so I'd use 6mm² stranded flexible cable. That will be fine for 200W to 300W of panels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back