Video of motorhome being stolen in Birmingham on New Years Day (1 Viewer)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I recently bought a newer van. WildAx. Chatting, told the dealer I was off to buy loads of kit in Halfords to help prevent theft. He said - Don't bother. Just take all the cushions out. They would not want to have to pay out on that AND cushion makers are aware and would ask difficult questions.
Interesting approach.
Taking the cushions out wouldn't stop them nicking it if they just wanted it to strip for engine parts/spares ?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I think this is overkill.... But.

NYE I was at the York C&MC site for the night.

Walking to the toilet blocks I noticed a caravan :sick: set up (car missing - guess out exploring) The Caravan had a water thingy attached. A Toilet waste wheelie thing plugged in. Leveling legs wound down. Trailer hitch cover on (ill assume a lock too) lots of camping stuff kicking around it. Plugged into EHU etc etc.

To get into the site you need a key fob for the barrier (yea you could tailgate I guess)

But it had 2! wheel clamps on it........ I mean really... Are people driving on to sites and basically packing away a caravan hoping the people dont come back or the people on the pitches next to it don't notice different people in a different vehicle just hooking up and taking off?

I am all for security but thats surly overkill.

As to this Motorhome theft. Gutted for them. But as said if someone really wants in they are getting it.
Most caravan owners get a discount for having clamps, it’s made clear if the clamp isn’t used and something happens, you get nothing.

It’s infuriating and many just didn’t bother with the discount.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Most caravan owners get a discount for having clamps, it’s made clear if the clamp isn’t used and something happens, you get nothing.
If it is a twin axle with manufactures hub fitting wheel clamp then insurance company's insist both wheels on one side are clamped.... so yes two wheel clamps

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
If it is a twin axle with manufactures hub fitting wheel clamp then insurance company's insist both wheels on one side are clamped.... so yes two wheel clamps
It was and makes sense... id expect that at home when not in use but not parked up all plugged in on a site. I dont think id bother if it was me. But each to there own risk assessment I guess

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think this is overkill.... But.

But it had 2! wheel clamps on it........ I mean really... Are people driving on to sites and basically packing away a caravan hoping the people dont come back or the people on the pitches next to it don't notice different people in a different vehicle just hooking up and taking off?
2 wheel clamps a bit OTT unless a twin axle, but with caravans insurance often dictates wheel clamp & hitch lock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We were told by the police that theives tour a neighbourhood for vehicles and then go and get orders for them. Feel much happier now ours is in a secure CASSOA site 10 minutes away.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Feel much happier now ours is in a secure CASSOA site 10 minutes away.
Appreciate your concerns and feeling... it's difficult to know what to do for best and I know a lot have no choice than to use storage sites and indeed some use them even if they have room at home purely for the reason you give.... security...
However there has been numorous posts on here over years about vans getting broken into/remove from so called secure sites.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
I have full alarm. Steering lock. Two trackers. No cushions or mattress kept inside and a note that says “you will be found and you will suffer great pain“

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have full alarm. Steering lock. Two trackers. No cushions or mattress kept inside and a note that says “you will be found and you will suffer great pain“
Do you know "Brian Mills" then :cool: ;)

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Not convinced it is anything to do with 'woke'. Seems to me that it is more to do with lack of funding for the police and the criminal justice system. You have to catch the criminals and get the case to court before any 'woke' influences can impact the outcome.
If the scum that stole it ever get caught which, is doubtfull as it is not a hate crime, so will not get priority. Woke prevails.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We were told by the police that theives tour a neighbourhood for vehicles and then go and get orders for them. Feel much happier now ours is in a secure CASSOA site 10 minutes away.
A genuine question.

Last year, when we were looking at renewing our insurance, we were surprised to see that three companies had a higher premium if we used a CASSOA site compared to parking on our drive.

Don’t ask me which ones, I can’t remember. We stayed with Comfort who, despite having a new, more expensive motorhome, reduced our annual prEminem by ca £80.

So, why do some do that? Is it due to our postcodes perhaps?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A genuine question.

Last year, when we were looking at renewing our insurance, we were surprised to see that three companies had a higher premium if we used a CASSOA site compared to parking on our drive.

Don’t ask me which ones, I can’t remember. We stayed with Comfort who, despite having a new, more expensive motorhome, reduced our annual prEminem by ca £80.

So, why do some do that? Is it due to our postcodes perhaps?
Postcode is a primary defining factor for insurance, linked directly to the recorded crime statistics along with your risk profile. Storage sites are often more expensive as statistically a higher risk, being vehicle unattended and a higher density of high risk vehicles at the same address. The same as we naturally see safety in numbers, the insurers see higher risk

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Only use ours 3 months in the Winter, 2 weeks in the Summer, so remove the front wheels for the Best Free Security money can't buy,for the other 9 months....

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
vans are often stolen from storage where else can the scroats find the model they are looking for without travelling miles

Feb 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E695
The old ways seem the best, if you can, turn your driver's seat around, put a security (motorbike ?) chain through the underneath. Just takes that bit longer to try cutting it off in order to drive off. Bollards on the drive are a deterrent too. As you say, if they want it, they will take it, but the longer they have to work at it the better the chance they will be caught or give up. They must be gutted.
In the "olden days" we used to take the rotor arm out to immobilise a petrol vehicle, is there an equivalent for a modern diesel?

Feb 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E695
Out of interest what happens to stolen vans? are they sent out of the country, cloned and resold or broken for parts? if we could target the market for stolen vehicles then they wouldn't be worth stealing, maybe bring in id check at ferry ports etc?

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Out of interest what happens to stolen vans? are they sent out of the country, cloned and resold or broken for parts? if we could target the market for stolen vehicles then they wouldn't be worth stealing, maybe bring in id check at ferry ports etc?
Surely you'd have to be one of the Scrotes to answer that one... :LOL:

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
In the "olden days" we used to take the rotor arm out to immobilise a petrol vehicle, is there an equivalent for a modern diesel?
Not really tbh as no ignition system on diesels. Some clever bod could probably fit a hidden switch to close the throttle flap to prevent air getting to cylinders and hence engine starting

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
All of the above with stolen vehicles, plus stolen to use. Up till recently, a huge number of stolen motorhomes were on the next late night ferry to Ireland. The Garda had no wish to deal with the issue, despite being aware. Vans got a new identity and Irish plates, then some shipped back over and sold to unsuspecting buyers. Many more were stripped for valuable parts

Checks at ferry ports? Who by? The police run occasional operations but on the whole have bigger crimes to deal with Theft of a vehicle is way down the list as the person losing the property is insured

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
I remember that well I use to take out the rotor arm on my Vauxhall viva 😂 up in London !!!!!

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
I do that and quite a few other things with my VW

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back