Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Ferrules require a special crimping tool if you are not aware.

Crimping Tool Set, HCYW Self-Adjustable Ratchet Bootlace Wire Crimping Tool (AWG 23-7), 0.25-10mm² Ferrule Crimping Tool Kit with 1200 Wire End Ferrule Connectors https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CNR84K8V?tag=mhf04-21
I have these and used them to crimp on the O rings to attach to the battery? Assume they are ok?

IMG_7272.jpeg

IMG_7271.jpeg

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Yes those wago will work,
Ferule its good but you need a crimper, and ferule you can get on line. Wago you can get at your local toolstation or screwfix.
A few days ago I asked on the sunnywellenergy site which battery I should choose in the Victronconnect app and tonight they replied to say "Please select Gel Victron deep discharge(2) for battery preset via the App. Also, set “Max charge current” to 22A."

Any idea why the max charge current setting should be increased from the default 15A to 22A when my controller is a 15A one? As a reminder my panel is 160W, my battery is 90AH Solarflex flooded lead acid and my controller is Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15. Thank you in advance from a very fried brain :frowny:

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
A few days ago I asked on the sunnywellenergy site which battery I should choose in the Victronconnect app and tonight they replied to say "Please select Gel Victron deep discharge(2) for battery preset via the App. Also, set “Max charge current” to 22A."

Any idea why the max charge current setting should be increased from the default 15A to 22A when my controller is a 15A one? As a reminder my panel is 160W, my battery is 90AH Solarflex flooded lead acid and my controller is Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15. Thank you in advance from a very fried brain :frowny:
That reply makes no sense in regards to the amps. Your panel will be maxed out to about 12A into the battery at best. Expect less. So leave that setting alone.
You can down rate a controller to keep it cool, but here it’s not the case.
Also charge limiting is done on GX device via DVCC settings, as needs to account for loads. Without a shunt and a GX, the charger has no idea where the power goes; battery or loads.
You don’t have to worry about limiting the controller.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I have these and used them to crimp on the O rings to attach to the battery? Assume they are ok?

View attachment 931645

View attachment 931646

This is a example of a ferrule crimper, it crimps square for flat terminals or screw, you can get a hexagonal crimper as well for round terminals.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021

View attachment 931645

View attachment 931646
They may or may not work on Ferrules but they wouldn't bother making a specific tool for Ferrules if it wasn't needed, I wouldn't use one of those myself, also keep an eye on your ring terminals because that crimping tool doesn't exert a lot of pressure on the terminal, there are better ones which use a lever arrangement to multiply the force exerted. Poor connections = resistance = voltage drop.

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
That reply makes no sense in regards to the amps. Your panel will be maxed out to about 12A into the battery at best. Expect less. So leave that setting alone.
Also charge limiting is done on GX device via DVCC settings, as needs to account for loads. Without a shunt and a GX, the charger has no idea where the power goes; battery or loads.
Ok will ignore their advice. Out of interest why do I need to tweak the other default settings though?
I agree it makes no sense at all and when I choose Gel Victron deep discharge (2) for my Victron MPPT 75/15 smartsolar controller it defaults to 15A anyway and also just noticed the other settings it defaults to are the same as you suggested so ignore my last question. They also suggest the settings in the attached screenshot, which again why? Also, you suggested 'max absorb time 8hrs' but I can't see a setting for that? Finally, should I leave 'Automatic equalization' disabled but do this manually occasionally? My panel is portable so will be unplugged as will the controller when not in use to avoid parasitic drain, so setting any automatic equalization will be pointless. However, if it is something worth doing occasionally I am happy to?

Settings Sunnywell page.png

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
These are the default settings on my app once I choose the Gel Victron deep discharge (2) option. Is the equalization voltage of 16.2V ok to be left as is as the chap on the Sunnywell site has suggested 15.8 (second pic)?

Default settings on app.jpg

Settings Sunnywell page.png

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I don't know what battery you have to advise on equalisation, leave it disabled for now.
In regards to bulk time, you can set it in advanced settings. But, victron will calculate the bulk anyways, each time starts a charging cycle, based on voltage.
Some presets are set at 16hrs bulk, that does not mean that each cycle will be held at 16hrs. Unless the battery has been drained well below 11v. On a shallow discharge, like 12.5-12.6v the bulk time can be as little as 20-30 mins. Victron will dial in the time. The max is max, no mater how discharged a battery is, it will limit to max set. That is handy when a battery is not new, or sealed and have limited electrolyte. By limiting bulk you limit the gassing during bulk, and excess electrolyte loss.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
These are the default settings on my app once I choose the Gel Victron deep discharge (2) option. Is the equalization voltage of 16.2V ok to be left as is as the chap on the Sunnywell site has suggested 15.8 (second pic)?

View attachment 931774

View attachment 931775
Change equalisation to 0v to disable it, unless you have access to top up the electrolyte.

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
I don't know what battery you have to advise on equalisation, leave it disabled for now.
In regards to bulk time, you can set it in advanced settings. But, victron will calculate the bulk anyways, each time starts a charging cycle, based on voltage.
Some presets are set at 16hrs bulk, that does not mean that each cycle will be held at 16hrs. Unless the battery has been drained well below 11v. On a shallow discharge, like 12.5-12.6v the bulk time can be as little as 20-30 mins. Victron will dial in the time. The max is max, no mater how discharged a battery is, it will limit to max set. That is handy when a battery is not new, or sealed and have limited electrolyte. By limiting bulk you limit the gassing during bulk, and excess electrolyte loss.
I have a Solarflex 90ah Flooded Lead Acid battery. So basically don't worry about changing the max absorb time just leave it as it is, which appears to be at 6hrs in the expert settings?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
It's disabled so do I still need to change to 0v?
The automatic equalisation is disabled, but its still at 16v set and you can equalise manually, if needed. The only way you will know is with a hydrometer to take samples of acid and see the mix value. Forget that for now.

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
The automatic equalisation is disabled, but its still at 16v set and you can equalise manually, if needed. The only way you will know is with a hydrometer to take samples of acid and see the mix value. Forget that for now.
Forget as in leave as disabled and don't worry that it is set at 16v or still change to 0v? It is frustrating having features I don't really understand and will therefore never likely use but I guess that can be true for many gadgets :unsure:

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
They may or may not work on Ferrules but they wouldn't bother making a specific tool for Ferrules if it wasn't needed, I wouldn't use one of those myself, also keep an eye on your ring terminals because that crimping tool doesn't exert a lot of pressure on the terminal, there are better ones which use a lever arrangement to multiply the force exerted. Poor connections = resistance = voltage drop.

Thank you and that makes total sense (y) The only thing I would add is that the wire going into the ring terminal was nearly as thick as the hole so I could pretty much hang off it after crimping it closed. So I am fairly confident it is well secured. I can see it would be woefully inadequate for thinner wire though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back