OP
OP
Ianbenny
Oct 16, 2019
Bishop Auckland, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
What distance have you driven on the new tyres.?
Difrent brands do feel difrent and while I don't think they bed in as such I think as a driver you get used to the difrence.
It could be just that the tyres have a stiffer sidewall to your old ones?
Some days our van seems to have a few rattles and vibration some days I never notice. Most are from the cutlery and plates drawers.
Only about 100 miles on the Kumho's. These were much worse than the Hankooks that are on now, I have only done about 100 miles in these as well. It may need a few more miles to see.

You could have a point regarding the stiffer side walls. I am erring on the suspension being stiffer due to the new rubber mounts.

I am thinking about putting some new shockers on, but if that doesnt work I will have to put up with it.

It was a nice drive (apart from the squeels from the rear mounts). I think its worse at 30mph but it has spoiled my driving of the van. May have to go to the main dealer, although I have not confidence in anything other than that costing me a lot of money.

My wife says I nit pick when somethings not right as it does get on my goat a bit. I once bought a new Skoda Octavia and there was a vibration when you let the clutch out, like you would get from an orbital sander attached to the pedal. Dealer couldn't be bothered. It only seems to happen on the 1.6TDI. The 1.2 petrol was smooth as silk.

Thanks for all your replies (y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Let me see if I understand this matter correctly...

Your van drove satisfactorily and vibration free to have four new tyres fitted.

Now the van has vibration throughout at 30-40 mph.

I very, very, very strongly believe I know what causes this problem. :whistle2:

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Ianbenny
Oct 16, 2019
Bishop Auckland, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Let me see if I understand this matter correctly...

Your van drove satisfactorily and vibration free to have four new tyres fitted.

Now the van has vibration throughout at 30-40 mph.

I very, very, very strongly believe I know what causes this problem. :whistle2:

JJ :cool:
I thought what you thought I think :cool:, but then had another set of tyres fitted which improved but didn't fully cure the problem.

It had vibration 30-40 then 50 to 55 mph

I needed 2 tyres for the MOT, so should have just put 2 on, but I also had the suspension bushes done at the same time. If I only had the tyres done, then no problem in assigning a cause, but there are 2 variables which makes it more difficult.

In 40 odd years of driving I have never had a problem with new tyres on any of my cars or bikes so its strange and makes me look at the suspension change

OP
OP
Ianbenny
Oct 16, 2019
Bishop Auckland, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Another update.
Had the van in for a service, and asked him to change the shock absorbers, just in case these were contributing to the issue. This is another garage closer to home. He duly changed the shocks and found one was not working correctly. But when leaving the rear end was banging so I went back and went out for a drive. He said they were bottoming out and the parts they sent out were incorrect.

He then asked what the vibration was? I did explain what had been done to the rear suspension when I took it in, but it confirmed that I wasn't imagining it.

It does get better at 70mph as someone said above, but that is not a speed I travel at. So its not the tyres, but something else. He is going to have a look on Monday. He phoned back and said there's 2 lengths of shocker and they sent the wrong ones.(n)

But he had pointed out another problem. There's a small oil leak from the engine to gearbox casing. He said there is a rotary seal in there that will need changing but he cant do it due to the height of the van, and needing a 4 post lift. He also they usually change the clutch at the same time. It gets worse and contaminates the clutch.

This van is getting to be a money pit. So now need to find a garage to do this work. :crying::crying:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back