VB Front SpringCoil “Comfort”- Anybody experienced these on their MoHo/Campers? (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
Started 2012, 1st Burstner Ixeo it720, 2nd Carthago C-Tourer i150:)
I have a Carthago I 138, 2020, on an Alko chassis and the front suspension bangs/rattles over bumps. My from weight is about 1700kg on a 1960kg axle.
I have been recommended the VB coil/spring to be fitted to the existing Fiat struts. There are three options and the one recommended to me is the “Comfort”.
Has anybody had them fitted?
Are you impressed with them?
Was it worth fitting?
Thank you for your feedback in anticipation:)-Broken Link Removed--Broken Link Removed-

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I have a Carthago I 138, 2020, on an Alko chassis and the front suspension bangs/rattles over bumps. My from weight is about 1700kg on a 1960kg axle.
I have been recommended the VB coil/spring to be fitted to the existing Fiat struts. There are three options and the one recommended to me is the “Comfort”.
Has anybody had them fitted?
Are you impressed with them?
Was it worth fitting?
Thank you for your feedback in anticipation:)-Broken Link Removed--Broken Link Removed-
I believe I have them on my new to me van, I found the drive back from Wales quite comfortable. In saying that I’am uprating the suspension next month to VB full air so that I have a better payload, I will be selling the springs if you would be interested. They are on a ‘72 plate chic eline which has only done 1140 miles.
IMG_5761.jpeg
IMG_5760.jpeg

Last edited:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Ive got the heavy duty VB springs on running at 2300 front and 2700 rear (air suspension rear) all as I can say they’re 80% better than the original Fiat on the sonic 4250 maxi chassis, much less crashing on the front!!
Do them you won’t regret it👍

OP
OP
MobyDick57

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
To Mr Bigtree.
The question is which spring coils you had fitted? Please see chart below:)
To Mr Westy66
Thanks for your feedback:)
IMG_3452.png
IMG_3453.png

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
These are mine and the number looks to be same as bigtree mine are definitely heavy duty springs as I needed them to be for the 5ton weight uprate👍
IMG_3653.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Considering this for the new van….. does the “comfort” spring (the really heavy duty one) actually increase ride comfort as it seems to be counter intuitive to me

OP
OP
MobyDick57

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
The “comfort” allows 5mm more movement than the “heavy” spring/coil. I am presently moving towards the VB Strut with Comfort spring at the moment. I had considered the full air “4C”, but it adds on average 50kg to weight to replace sadly.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Considering this for the new van….. does the “comfort” spring (the really heavy duty one) actually increase ride comfort as it seems to be counter intuitive to me
I can only reiterate what I have said above, another funster has the same van as me and she couldn’t wait to get air suspension fitted. In her words , before her fillings fell out. If I wasn’t wanting to still carry a motorbike I wouldn’t bother uprating as I find the ride quite comfortable, probably due to the VB springs.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I can only reiterate what I have said above, another funster has the same van as me and she couldn’t wait to get air suspension fitted. In her words , before her fillings fell out. If I wasn’t wanting to still carry a motorbike I wouldn’t bother uprating as I find the ride quite comfortable, probably due to the VB springs.
Already getting the rear VB air assist on the back, which I have had on all my vans but my query was purely about the front springs. Apologies if I have misunderstood

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Learning to appreciate what time we have left
We have the full Vb air system fitted with air assist on each corner. Basically it prevents roll and the ride is excellent in comparison to springs only. The full VB package is not cheap by any means. That aside...it provides all we need to be comfortable when travelling and also its fun when using it on site watching the folks look at it as if it's some sort of magic! Especially when draining off the grey tank as it tips itself up on one side!
The ride is no doubt though...far superior!

Kev

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We have the full Vb air system fitted with air assist on each corner. Basically it prevents roll and the ride is excellent in comparison to springs only. The full VB package is not cheap by any means. That aside...it provides all we need to be comfortable when travelling and also its fun when using it on site watching the folks look at it as if it's some sort of magic! Especially when draining off the grey tank as it tips itself up on one side!
The ride is no doubt though...far superior!

Kev
Unfortunately can’t afford that though. My query was on the comfort springs themselves

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I had the Comfort springs fitted by SAP Doncaster to our then brand new Autotrail Comanche Tag, imho it made a world of difference to the drive especially over potholes and speed bumps.

When we got the new Rapido tag last year off it went straight back to SAP who fitted "a different, better, cheaper comfort spring" for 2/3rds of the price

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Already getting the rear VB air assist on the back, which I have had on all my vans but my query was purely about the front springs. Apologies if I have misunderstood
Sorry I maybe didn’t explain that correctly, as far as I’m aware the standard Fiat springs are very firm and give a very harsh ride. Not having experienced this I can only say that the VB springs I have on the front give me a comfortable ride.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sorry I maybe didn’t explain that correctly, as far as I’m aware the standard Fiat springs are very firm and give a very harsh ride. Not having experienced this I can only say that the VB springs I have on the front give me a comfortable ride.
Ah……many thanks. Just what I needed

OP
OP
MobyDick57

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
Using SAP to do it as a part of a deal including levellers and rear air assist
Hello Mr DuxDeluxe:)
Reading your posts, but slightly confused (old age)
So are you upgrading your fronts struts and springs? Or just the springs? If so, which have you chosen? And what is your front axle weight?
Thanks in anticipation:)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hello Mr DuxDeluxe:)
Reading your posts, but slightly confused (old age)
So are you upgrading your fronts struts and springs? Or just the springs? If so, which have you chosen? And what is your front axle weight?
Thanks in anticipation:)
Hi, The van has not been delivered yet but SAP advise that replacing the front springs with the heavier ones will raise the front ride height by about 2" and thus give that mount of extra suspension travel and avoid the crashing out on the bump stops on poor road surfaces. Not replacing the struts at the moment and they did not think it was necessary.

The Springs are VB comfort springs

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Wish I had better suspension even in my tiny van. Anyone who complains about British roads needs to try parts of the Wild Atlantic Way. Not sure what is going to give first by being shaken apart, my teeth or the van's fittings

OP
OP
MobyDick57

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
Hi, The van has not been delivered yet but SAP advise that replacing the front springs with the heavier ones will raise the front ride height by about 2" and thus give that mount of extra suspension travel and avoid the crashing out on the bump stops on poor road surfaces. Not replacing the struts at the moment and they did not think it was necessary.

The Springs are VB comfort springs
Hi:) Thanks for the info. My present strut is a Fiat factory fit and is a “Gas strut”. VB has recommended “Comfort” coils, but also suggested that I might want to upgrade the struts to FSD Oil struts for an extra £500. Presently feel like changing both for the extra:)

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Hi:) Thanks for the info. My present strut is a Fiat factory fit and is a “Gas strut”. VB has recommended “Comfort” coils, but also suggested that I might want to upgrade the struts to FSD Oil struts for an extra £500. Presently feel like changing both for the extra:)
Most of the suspension threads on here are about springs and airbags, very few mention struts (shock absorbers) which seems odd to me, surely that's the first thing to change if there is a better alternative?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Most of the suspension threads on here are about springs and airbags, very few mention struts (shock absorbers) which seems odd to me, surely that's the first thing to change if there is a better alternative?
The spring is what holds it up. The strut does the damping bit as far as I know

OP
OP
MobyDick57

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
Hello all:)
Finally had the standard Fiat front gas struts/coils changed to VB “Comfort” coils (coloured bright blue), plus upgraded to VB FSD Oil struts (Coloured bright red) for an extra £500. So I thought I would give feedback on the results.
1. The front was raised about 50mm, so A-Class MH is nearly level.
2. The banging and crashing has stopped and the roads are a lot smoother.
3. Taking Roundabouts are a joy now, the front outside bend corner doesn’t dip anymore.
4. View from inside is improved, because more level.
5. Extremely glad I upgraded the struts as well as the coils:)
Hope this feedback helps, as most forum discussions are either about rear suspension or full air:)

Jul 2, 2023
Macclesfield, UK
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I’m a newbie
I had the Comfort springs fitted by SAP Doncaster to our then brand new Autotrail Comanche Tag, imho it made a world of difference to the drive especially over potholes and speed bumps.

When we got the new Rapido tag last year off it went straight back to SAP who fitted "a different, better, cheaper comfort spring" for 2/3rds of the price
Hi Al, what were the cheaper, better ones you had installed?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back