Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
Exp
Since 2003
Just asked my local garage and MOT Centre to price up for replacing my tyres with all season (3 peak mountain snowflake). His usual supplier astounded him by advising that only “camper” tyres can now be used on campervans and motorhomes, with effect from a date earlier this year. Plus they suggested that having the wrong tyres fails MOT!
They were recommending Michelin Agilis Camper which of course is not a 3pms as far as I am aware.
Anyone else heard of this? None of the garage’s MOT Technicians were aware to the extent that they disbelieved it. Any MOT people on here care to comment.
I am sure this will be “news” to the myriad of camper converters who buy in vans to convert.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Sorry.. simple brain/here.. what's diffèance between C and CP tyres.
Sorry..
My understanding of it is C commercial CP camper Tyres I am not 100% on this and happy to be corrected😊
There is more advice on www.tyresafe.org

CP-rated tyres
These tyres are designed for vehicles carrying much heavier loads, such as larger campervans and heavy motorhomes. They offer better comfort, stability, and load-carrying capacity than C-rated tyres, particularly for single-wheel rear motorhomes. CP-rated tyres also have a higher load bearing capacity and greater protection from mechanical damage due to their considerably higher air pressure

C-rated tyres
These tyres are designed for commercial vehicles, caravans, and motorhomes that weigh less than 3.5 tonnes. They are suitable for higher weight loads and have undergone rigorous testing to ensure they meet specific standards for load capacity and durability.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Sorry.. simple brain/here.. what's diffèance between C and CP tyres.
Sorry..
Resisting the opportunity to be facetious....
The CP is theoretically for motorhome or campervan on the basis that the load is static on a tyre.
The C is for commercial vans, where the load weight is dispersed round the tyre, ie doesn't sit around with load.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I’m saying what happened to me with C tyres as opposed to CP. It was incredibly scary both times. Davanti paid my claims after an independent inspection. Then if you look on their website they say the DX 440 is unsuitable for motorhomes. I also had photographic evidence of delamination on the other two tyres which I kept. I’ll stick with CPs on my van.
Phil
Never heard of Davanti tyres. So they can't be very well known .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
CP-rated tyres
These tyres are designed for vehicles carrying much heavier loads, such as larger campervans and heavy motorhomes. They offer better comfort, stability, and load-carrying capacity than C-rated tyres
That's largely hogs wash. Load is load. And the load rating on the tyre tells you what it's rated for.

As for comfort and stability, Agilis Campers are like concrete, shake you all over the place, understeer like billio and generally offer poor grip.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
That's largely hogs wash. Load is load. And the load rating on the tyre tells you what it's rated for.

As for comfort and stability, Agilis Campers are like concrete, shake you all over the place, understeer like billio and generally offer poor grip.
I totally agree with you I got shot of my Agilis CP and fitted Agilis Crossclimates a much nicer ride.
I think they try to make the argument that a motorhome load is on the vehicle longer and possibly static more however they don’t account for hydraulic levellers etc that take weight off tyres when parked up. I realise not everyone has them but not everyone is fully loaded all of the time and you see lots of commercial vehicles that are pulled for overloading but their tyres seem to hold out don’t they?🤔😊

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》

hydraulic levellers etc that take weight off tyres when parked up.
And some of us use vans 12months of year and therefore are not parked up, so don't need levellers or indeed CP tyres

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think the only possibly valid claim CP tyres have is that they don't get flat spotted or damaged by spending longer periods still. But Agilis Campers still seem to age pretty quickly.

It's also started that they cope better when overloaded, implying motorhomes are frequently over the limit. But if that was the case, wouldn't they just have a higher load rating?

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE CAMPING - had time to give them a good work out now. Perfect. Great ride - was considering semi air but now no need so worth for me the extra cost of the tyres @ just under £200 a corner. This is compared to the previous tyre Michelin Agilis camper cross climate.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back