Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
Exp
Since 2003
Just asked my local garage and MOT Centre to price up for replacing my tyres with all season (3 peak mountain snowflake). His usual supplier astounded him by advising that only “camper” tyres can now be used on campervans and motorhomes, with effect from a date earlier this year. Plus they suggested that having the wrong tyres fails MOT!
They were recommending Michelin Agilis Camper which of course is not a 3pms as far as I am aware.
Anyone else heard of this? None of the garage’s MOT Technicians were aware to the extent that they disbelieved it. Any MOT people on here care to comment.
I am sure this will be “news” to the myriad of camper converters who buy in vans to convert.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just asked my local garage and MOT Centre to price up for replacing my tyres with all season (3 peak mountain snowflake). His usual supplier astounded him by advising that only “camper” tyres can now be used on campervans and motorhomes, with effect from a date earlier this year. Plus they suggested that having the wrong tyres fails MOT!
They were recommending Michelin Agilis Camper which of course is not a 3pms as far as I am aware.
Anyone else heard of this? None of the garage’s MOT Technicians were aware to the extent that they disbelieved it. Any MOT people on here care to comment.
I am sure this will be “news” to the myriad of camper converters who buy in vans to convert.
My MoT tester fitted Nanking 3pms van tyres on our motorhome a couple of months back so ...........................

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Definately van tyres..
My van has Michelin Agilis Cross Climates and passed MOT last week...

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Van tyres all day.

That’s a load of bill-hoox

Camper tyres are not manufactured in all base vehicle/chassis sizes. So how could that be ?.

Rubbish just get van tyres

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I just had a set of Kumho 4 season van tyres fitted a few weeks ago, no mention that they were illegal from either the suppliers Black Circles or the tyre fitting company Bathwick Tyres.
Better ride and better grip than camper tyres.
The supplier doesn't know what they are talking about

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
As long as a tyre has a high enough load rating, they are fine. There are some motorhomes that come from the factory with van tyres because that's the only choice in the size they need.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
After following a post on here a few months ago I opted for Falken All Seasons.
I have almost covered 3000 miles on them in Europe and I must say I am impressed.
The ride quality certainly seems improved over my previous Michelins and at almost half the price we are more than happy with our choice.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
After following a post on here a few months ago I opted for Falken All Seasons.
I have almost covered 3000 miles on them in Europe and I must say I am impressed.
The ride quality certainly seems improved over my previous Michelins and at almost half the price we are more than happy with our choice.
Like you, we have just completed a 3k mile trip around France, Luxembourg, Germany and Belgium since fitting Falken All Season tyres.

A much improved ride. The harsh FIAT rear Suspension still bangs on potholes but the front is very much better.

On “worn” roads noise has virtually disappeared on all four wheels.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Just had a set of maxxis all season snowflake tyres at 125 a corner - very impressed and a far better ride than my original continental camper tyres

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Michelin Agilis cross climate van tyres are very good I put them on our 4500kg A class to replace CP tyres which were a very hard ride even with full air suspension.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
My tyres are AGILIS Cross climate if you look under Agilis label you will see three peaks with snowflake and M&S 👍😊
IMG_5391.jpeg

IMG_0006.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If you look at my picture you will see they are Agilis Crossclimate 😊
It looks like Michelins don’t make CP marked tyres anymore🤔
I thought they'd stopped doing them too but Mytyres still sell them:

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
I have just spent a lot of time looking for tyres.
Sorry for being picky but buyers need to be careful.
The Falken Allseason Van11 tyres I am buying are 118 rated. Different in compound and performance to the same description used online at a different price with a 121 load.
Also the alloys are 5x130 which is not correct according to a number of databases. The light chassis is 5x118 and axle load different.
Need a 🥃🫣.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The thing with mot inspectors is they are professionals which means they usually haven't a clue what they're talking about. I once had a motorhome, caravan technician try to tell me you couldn't fit van tyres on a motorhome too and he was also full of shit.

A motorhome is a van . Van tyres are perfectly legal .

You'd be surprised how many mot inspectors also don't know a vehicle has to be tested as its presented and not what appears on the v5 either. I've had to educate a few in that area too.

I'd advise using a different garage as they are clearly incompetent

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back