Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I know motorhomes generally hold their price quite well. Certain models that are popular better than others. For instance extra high top panel van conversions are very hard to find
We bought ours in 2016 and it's worth more than we paid for it now. Since Covid Fiat only sent extra high tops to USA and for ambulance conversion and it's still very hard to buy one. We bought the last month of euro5+ so don't have the dodgy double egr or any adblu but because of the date of registration it passes all the low emissions zones in the UK.
Our last van a Frankia Tag was also a rate and sought after model and prior yo that our Chausson sold for around the amount we paid for it.
I have heard dealers are now offering less for more run of the mill vans as second hand stocks are building up.
What vans keep their value the best and the worst?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I have heard dealers are now offering less for more run of the mill vans as second hand stocks are building up.
I don't know for certain, however I bet the ones that do hold their value will be the one you want next, thats always been the case for me buying anything.:rolleyes:
I cant see the 2024 new van prices holding as they have in recent years somehow, there you go!, yet another major thing to consider on top of the usual, will I get my money back on the option packs & retro extras like solar/lithium/B2B?:unsure:
LES

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My dealing from yesterday is the van I bought lost 44k in 2 years from new
Mine (which was Pexed) lost 5k in nearly 3 years from new.

Still got to put about 5k into it to bring it up what I need it to do
Wot u got then?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My dealing from yesterday is the van I bought lost 44k in 2 years from new
Mine (which was Pexed) lost 5k in nearly 3 years from new.

Still got to put about 5k into it to bring it up what I need it to do
You just have to hope that the replacement has gone through the quickest depreciation. I think a lot of the initial depreciation in some cases is dealer fitted extras that secondhand buyers generally don't pay much of a premium for relative to the cost for the buyer from new. Hope you get on well with the new one I was tempted by the flash sale for your previous one and know you would have done things right when fitting it out but were having a break at the moment.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
You just have to hope that the replacement has gone through the quickest depreciation. I think a lot of the initial depreciation in some cases is dealer fitted extras that secondhand buyers generally don't pay much of a premium for relative to the cost for the buyer from new. Hope you get on well with the new one I was tempted by the flash sale for your previous one and know you would have done things right when fitting it out but were having a break at the moment.
He needed to get rid of his by 31/7 for cashflow issues of his new stock.
Flash sale and 16 k knocked off if it could go through by yesterday.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
One of the extras that was on teh van was an awning. About 1300 quid for it !
I went through it all off the new price of one today and it was 10K of extras, none of which we wanted. They are nice like the awning and the bike rack but really only the air con and cruise control were of interest.

Nothing decent like solar, lithium, LPG, alarm, tracker, semi air, uprating, rear camera, tv ariel which I have to put in. But the financial difference between mine and this one in order to upgrade to an A class so my back injury has a proper recliner chair, which is a necessity, was miniscule into what I was looking at for vans a few years older. So at this stage, I think I have a bargain.

When we were driving it home yesterday on the m25 it didnt feel like a bargain though as the offside mirror started flapping in the breeze where it hadnt been tightened up. We had no tools on us and I couldnt see a thing behind us in order to pull out of a lane into the second lane. If I went over 50 MPH the wing mirror would bang into the glass and hated HGVs and Coaches overtaking us. I just stayed in the inside lane and I think the only lane changes were the M40 and M4 and then made the move to come back on the M3, instead of A3 because of the roundabout on J10, with no lane changes and only the Frimley roundabout and joining the A31 from BVR where I needed rear view. (I accelerated and braked to move the mirror forwards and backwards) Lane changes on the M25 were done with Paula looking out the offside bedroom window and shouting. We took a video of it flapping in the breeze just in case it broke the glass. Fixed in 30 seconds at home with 2 13 ml sockets.

No fun in life without a bit of danger :unsure:

Yes I know I should have pulled over on the hard shoulder and awaited recovery !

Last edited:

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Lane changes on the M25 were done with Paula looking out the offside bedroom window and shouting.
But that's the thing that sets you apart from the 'normal' people
You didnt do a 90 minute youtube video about how it all went wrong.....you just coped......the modern world people just dont know how to cope 🤷‍♂️

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Our Bailey Autograph just spent 2 months on a reputable dealers in Devon.
It never sold, nobody wanted it at the price (don't know about offers) it was ticketed at.
So we brought it home and going to use it till the insurance runs out next spring.

So A Bailey is NOT a desirable MH based on above.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think you’re right that 2nd hand prices have dropped. We were’t brave enough to sell our IH privately so went through a 3rd party. Guessed we’d lose a bit but couldn’t bear the hassle. Kept an eye on the price. It only went at a max of £4000 more than he gave us and he had to pay for the cambelt change so we think we did OK after all. I think when he offered the price in May he was expecting to sell it for more than he did.

I wonder if the terrible early weather played a part.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I know motorhomes generally hold their price quite well. Certain models that are popular better than others. For instance extra high top panel van conversions are very hard to find
We bought ours in 2016 and it's worth more than we paid for it now. Since Covid Fiat only sent extra high tops to USA and for ambulance conversion and it's still very hard to buy one. We bought the last month of euro5+ so don't have the dodgy double egr or any adblu but because of the date of registration it passes all the low emissions zones in the UK.
Our last van a Frankia Tag was also a rate and sought after model and prior yo that our Chausson sold for around the amount we paid for it.

I am sure it used to be worth more than you paid for it. Probably (sadly) worth considerably less than you think in the new normal.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Dealer sold mine this week for nearly what I paid for it in 2020😁😁obviously they have taken their bit out but I then don’t then have problems with tyre kickers and people who think they are buying brand new and whine about every little nick or scratch😳😳 My van was the only one in that spec available in the country so I think they tend to sell better as if you are looking and it sells to someone else could be years before another the same comes on the market🤔🤔

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
We will have another go at selling Billy next spring. Obviously it will have depreciated more by then.
Not decided yet if we should give it to a dealer again or reduce the price considerably to what a dealer would have marked up and sell privately with a buy as seen no warranty implied.
We will see in spring.
Meanwhile we will use a number of times between now and then.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Our Bailey Autograph just spent 2 months on a reputable dealers in Devon.
It never sold, nobody wanted it at the price (don't know about offers) it was ticketed at.
So we brought it home and going to use it till the insurance runs out next spring.

So A Bailey is NOT a desirable MH based on above.
Not that it's not desirable but everything sells at the right price. Maybe you were just hoping and holding out for too much.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Called in at Glossup Caravans as I was on ride out on bike and that many vans packed in could hardly move between them.Dont think they will shift that lot this late in the (rotten ) season

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Called in at Glossup Caravans as I was on ride out on bike and that many vans packed in could hardly move between them.Dont think they will shift that lot this late in the (rotten ) season
They do tend to be on the expensive side there though, hence they seem to stay there for quite a while👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back