V5C Vehicle category (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Motor caravans are M1, same category as passenger cars.

Motor caravan“: A special purpose M1 category vehicle constructed to include accommodation space which contains at least the following equipment:

(a) Seats and table;

(b) Sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats;

(c) Cooking facilities; and

(d) Storage facilities.

This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment; however, the table may be designed to be easily removable.

N1 is “Vehicles used for the carriage of goods and having a maximum mass not exceeding 3.5 tonnes.”

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Motor caravans are M1, same category as passenger cars.

Motor caravan“: A special purpose M1 category vehicle constructed to include accommodation space which contains at least the following equipment:

(a) Seats and table;

(b) Sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats;

(c) Cooking facilities; and

(d) Storage facilities.

This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment; however, the table may be designed to be easily removable.

N1 is “Vehicles used for the carriage of goods and having a maximum mass not exceeding 3.5 tonnes.”

Problem is many converters buy vans ,N1, then convert them to motorhomes but they retain the N1 classification

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Problem is many converters buy vans ,N1, then convert them to motorhomes but they retain the N1 classification
Not 100% but I don't think the classification can be changed at all.
It's for the life of the vehicle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the rules on changing the category changed some years back. It is now near impossible to get a home converted van reregistered as a motorhome. Best they usually get is the usual van with windows these days

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeff B
Sep 12, 2018
Bridgend South Wales
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Since 2018 camping and caravan since Noah was a kid
Thanks everyone I converted my van back in 2019 just before the new rules came in, on the V5 its a motor caravan and Mot 4, but tax class is LGV and the veh category is N1 I just rang DVLA to query but was told it cannot be changed as the vehicle was type approved as a LGV so looks like I will have to be careful of the speed limits.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks everyone I converted my van back in 2019 just before the new rules came in, on the V5 its a motor caravan and Mot 4, but tax class is LGV and the veh category is N1 I just rang DVLA to query but was told it cannot be changed so looks like I will have to be careful of the speed limits.
I was also successful in having mine reclassified correctly as a Motor Caravan .. (not a home conversion) but as you say, it is still N1 ..tax class LGV

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We had an issue with a Vantage Cub we bought. Even though we had it reclassified as a Motor Caravan it stayed as N1. Dartford Crossing was charging by the vehicle category at the time so always had to pay higher price.

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Thanks everyone I converted my van back in 2019 just before the new rules came in, on the V5 its a motor caravan and Mot 4, but tax class is LGV and the veh category is N1 I just rang DVLA to query but was told it cannot be changed as the vehicle was type approved as a LGV so looks like I will have to be careful of the speed limits.
If it meets the definition of a motor caravan, and unladen (before conversion) weight is under 3.05t, the passenger vehicle speed limits apply, regardless of N1 or M1 designation.

You may be unlucky and be caught by an automatic camera, but you would write and demonstrate that you are a motor caravan, and it should be cancelled.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back