Using victron load terminals for fridge (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Semi-newbie to motorhomes
My dometic cfx3 fridge has been cutting out when there's no solar to support the voltage and some people say it's because the cable is too long.

I was thinking of connecting the fridge cable to the load terminal of the Victron charge controller, then via the app I can see how much daily consumption the fridge is using.

Will this work 24/7 this way, running the power through the charge controller and is there anything else to be careful or mindful of if doing this?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you want your 'fridge to only work when the sun is shining then yes, this will work.

If its a compresser' fridge it should be connected through a suitable fuse and a switch to the leisure batteries.

If it still cuts out you need more solar - or a B2B or EHU or more batteries.

OP
OP
TobyQuest
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Semi-newbie to motorhomes
Thanks. I don't think it should be the reason that you mentioned. Although more batteries would give a smaller voltage fluctuation when running the fridge, I have a 280ah lipo at 67% SOC so it should be fine in theory.
I believe it is that the cable is too thin and too long although it's hard to find a thicker cigarette lighter extension cable than the one I'm using currently.

Well having it only run on sun is no good. I had hoped the victron charge controller would take the power from the battery when there was no solar input due to night time.

My best bet is to shorten the cable and in theory that should fix the fridge from shutting off

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks. I don't think it should be the reason that you mentioned. Although more batteries would give a smaller voltage fluctuation when running the fridge, I have a 280ah lipo at 67% SOC so it should be fine in theory.
I believe it is that the cable is too thin and too long although it's hard to find a thicker cigarette lighter extension cable than the one I'm using currently.

Well having it only run on sun is no good. I had hoped the victron charge controller would take the power from the battery when there was no solar input due to night time.

My best bet is to shorten the cable and in theory that should fix the fridge from shutting off
Sorry, I didn't look up what you are running, I assumed it was a permanently wired in fridge.

I don't think the lead is your problem, it is the connection to the electrical supply. If the lead was too long and too thin the cool box wouldn't even start.

I have a similar cool box and initially ran it from a cigar lighter socket because that fitted the plug it came with.

A few years of experience soon told be this sort of connection simply isn't up to the job. The contacts get hot which softens them so the connection gradually becomes worse.

After trying several alternatives I finally found something which works. This has two pins and makes a very secure connection.

I can't find exactly the model I now use but this one looks very similar and it is from a well regarded supplier. On the same page you can find the matching plug.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back