Using iPlayer etc when abroad.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
On 4th van so not a total newbie....
We are currently in Spain and although iPlayer etc works using our UK SIM, when trying to preserve data and using site WiFi it detects we are abroad and won't work, using Nord VPN, it then just detects the VPN and stops again, with all the talk of using foreign Sims, just wondered how others got around this (apart from not watching iPlayer etc)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I use iplayer with Surfshark VPN when using French sim but there is a setting that needs changing on it to let it work for iplayer, I think Nord and Surfshark are similar so maybe nord needs this change
On Surfshark in vpn settings there’s a setting called‘small packet’ this needs turning on.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
VPN’s and geographic restricted content providers are in a constant battle to out do each other. We the consumer are collateral damage.

The key with any VPN is to change the location frequently and have the content you wish to watch, ready to go! We tee up a movie we wish to watch on ITVx or iPlayer or Amazon, then switch the VPN from say London to Manchester, then straight into the content and it usually doesn’t detect anything amiss and plays the content.

It’s a ballache at the moment and I think the VPN operators are greatly overstating their capability as the content providers have them sussed right now!

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
VPN’s and geographic restricted content providers are in a constant battle to out do each other. We the consumer are collateral damage.

The key with any VPN is to change the location frequently and have the content you wish to watch, ready to go! We tee up a movie we wish to watch on ITVx or iPlayer or Amazon, then switch the VPN from say London to Manchester, then straight into the content and it usually doesn’t detect anything amiss and plays the content.

It’s a ballache at the moment and I think the VPN operators are greatly overstating their capability as the content providers have them sussed right now!
Funny enough, I have no problem with itv, just BBC that is the pain.

Likes collected
Funster No
We are currently in Spain using a Tiekom sim 400 gb a month in Spain 200 gb anywhere EU or UK. Using express VPN currently watching the Chase!! 34 Euros a month, 4 euros a month to park it when not needed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Last time I used firestick for Iplayer set VPN to Glasgow and worked fine on Surfshark had issues with a English location

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We are currently in Spain and although iPlayer etc works using our UK SIM, when trying to preserve data and using site WiFi it detects we are abroad and won't work, using Nord VPN, it then just detects the VPN and stops again, with all the talk of using foreign Sims, just wondered how others got around this (apart from not watching iPlayer etc)
we used an EE unlimited data sim on one of phones in France and Germany Iplayer just worked we do have a SIM I purchased in Europe and Iplayer did not work with that

Satandpcguy

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Unfortunately you do not say what device you are trying to use iPlayer and VPN on, so tricky for others to give specific advice.

As if VPN work or not can be very device specific ie what works for one person on one Samsung tablet (for example), many not work on your different version Samsung tablet.

If using Nord VPN on the firestick, try some of the other server options, like p2p or onion (whatever that is!) and try content. Have to do this for ITVX, as it does not like the standard servers...not that there is much on ITVX to watch.

Also, on a side note, especially if trying to watch Channel 4, make sure the date and time on the Firestick is set to UK times. It will be blocked if the Firesictk has other times. Strange it is only C4 that has this time quirk...

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
Unfortunately you do not say what device you are trying to use iPlayer and VPN on, so tricky for others to give specific advice.

As if VPN work or not can be very device specific ie what works for one person on one Samsung tablet (for example), many not work on your different version Samsung tablet.

If using Nord VPN on the firestick, try some of the other server options, like p2p or onion (whatever that is!) and try content. Have to do this for ITVX, as it does not like the standard servers...not that there is much on ITVX to watch.

Also, on a side note, especially if trying to watch Channel 4, make sure the date and time on the Firestick is set to UK times. It will be blocked if the Firesictk has other times. Strange it is only C4 that has this time quirk...
I'm using Nord VPN on a fire stick, itvx works with the VPN no problem, just iPlayer doesn't like it.
Looks like when on site WiFi etc, just switch back to uksim for BBC?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
My wife watched Strictly on iPlayer using the Spanish site WiFi and Windscribe VPN.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Nord vpn will work if you persevere. It needs Android and download only. I find if you keep pressing download it will eventually work. In my experience nord is the best followed by express vpn in close second.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
pvc
If spoofing your location as the UK is the requirement then it's hard to beat Tailscale (a free Mesh VPN) and a device left at home running as an exit node. I leave a £20 Raspberry Pi running at home and Tailscale will route all traffic through the home exit node. No subscription and it matters not whether you're using a UK or other SIM or Wifi - the active IP address will always be that of your home router.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back