Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Why do Microsoft think I want all this dumbed down cr@p :devil:
Yup, Windows 7 was peak windows. Been all downhill from there. That is why I left it completely and moved to Linux full time.

I am on LInux now so can't look. But my windows 10 install has something from memory called "Classic Shell". It brings back things like the windows 7 menu etc.

I think this is it.

I will log onto my windows set up later and confirm for you.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Some of the issues I had moving to a new OS was trying to shoe horn how I used to do things into the new OS.

I realised looking into the new OSā€™ ways was often more productive.

Is it the Store apps causing angst? Those are optional. But a way to easily remove them would be handy. There are commands for the PowerShell to remove the store apps. But the way I know needs the full app name šŸ¤¬

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Gromett

Does this apply only to the windows version of Chrome please? I have updated that and am now on the latest version. But does it also apply to the Android version, which I have on the phone and which has a different version number?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Does this apply only to the windows version of Chrome please?
From Grom's linked article: -
Users are recommended to upgrade to version 112.0.5615.121 for Windows, macOS, and Linux to mitigate potential threats. Users of Chromium-based browsers such as Microsoft Edge, Brave, Opera, and Vivaldi are also advised to apply the fixes as and when they become available.
No direct Android mention. There later posts mentioned mobile OS.
edit: Post 8

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
If people set their systems to automatically update their software and apps there is a reduced risk as you system will be updated as soon as a release becomes available to you, if you wait to see announcements and update only occasionally or manually you risk the integrity of your devices.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
If people set their systems to automatically update their software and apps there is a reduced risk as you system will be updated as soon as a release becomes available to you, if you wait to see announcements and update only occasionally or manually you risk the integrity of your devices.
Automatically updating updating apps and software is a pain for online gamers.
Not that I do much of it anymore but I used to be in a gamer team.
I soon learnt that if my latency (lag) went high it was an automatic update šŸ˜”
The lowest safe setting in Windows is (like) ā€œnotifications of updatesā€.

You do need to react to those notices in a timely manner though. yy

The other place to change to or from automatic updates is in the MS Store. The updates to apps found there are managed separately to the OS for some reason. :( Thatā€™s another potential online gaming latency drain. :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yup, Windows 7 was peak windows. Been all downhill from there.
Really? Jill and I have used all the subsequent versions happily and successfully and have been on Windows 11 since it became available.
Like much software, it is simply a matter of taking care to set it up as one wishes to run it.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Really? Jill and I have used all the subsequent versions happily and successfully and have been on Windows 11 since it became available.
Like much software, it is simply a matter of taking care to set it up as one wishes to run it.
I hate the fact they change things and move them around for absolutely no reason. If I got in my car and they had moved the handbrake and gear lever to the other side and made it so the clutch and the brake shared duty I would be really unhappy.
The same goes for my computer. Do not force me to change how I do things.

This is one of the big reasons I like Linux. They do not force me to change how I do things, the choice is mine. For instance about a decade ago the Gnome Desktop people tried to follow Windows and totally change how the desktop operated (V3). There were enough unhappy people that MATE forked from Gnome 2. A Cinnamon was forked from Gnome 3 but re-implemented the traditional desktop. I had choices. KDE did the same thing and also suffered massive losses. There are now many, many desktop choices.

With windows. We have no choice. They just break stuff and monitor the heck out of you. Windows 7 was the last one where you could easily turn off all tracking/monitoring Redmond wanted to do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I hate the fact they change things and move them around for absolutely no reason. If I got in my car and they had moved the handbrake and gear lever to the other side and made it so the clutch and the brake shared duty I would be really unhappy.
The same goes for my computer. Do not force me to change how I do things.

This is one of the big reasons I like Linux. They do not force me to change how I do things, the choice is mine. For instance about a decade ago the Gnome Desktop people tried to follow Windows and totally change how the desktop operated (V3). There were enough unhappy people that MATE forked from Gnome 2. A Cinnamon was forked from Gnome 3 but re-implemented the traditional desktop. I had choices. KDE did the same thing and also suffered massive losses. There are now many, many desktop choices.

With windows. We have no choice. They just break stuff and monitor the heck out of you. Windows 7 was the last one where you could easily turn off all tracking/monitoring Redmond wanted to do.
In the 40 odd years that I have been driving there have been lots of changes in vehicles, most of them for the better.
When I get in my son's automatic it is different from driving my manual (and even the gearbox in Jill's car has reverse in a different place).

Apart from a few bits and pieces, which one soon gets used to, Windows is fine when set up properly by ignoring the default and changing the layout to one which suits what one wants. I had quite enough of putting up with nuts and bolts computing back in the 1970s.
I'd rather have a heater which works at the turn of a switch rather than having to rub sticks together :giggle:

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Automatically updating updating apps and software is a pain for online gamers.
Not that I do much of it anymore but I used to be in a gamer team.
I soon learnt that if my latency (lag) went high it was an automatic update šŸ˜”
The lowest safe setting in Windows is (like) ā€œnotifications of updatesā€.

You do need to react to those notices in a timely manner though. (y)

The other place to change to or from automatic updates is in the MS Store. The updates to apps found there are managed separately to the OS for some reason. :( Thatā€™s another potential online gaming latency drain. :)
Agree and understand I guess itā€™s about choice, for me the automated updates are fine the go on in the background and do thier thing but I use apple products and not a gamer, if the system reboots due to an upgrade I just go and have a coffee often there is a choice upgrade ā€˜now or tonightā€™

On systems I have been provided by organisations they just upgrade when and when ever if itā€™s critical you get a notice of the impending shutdown.

For me Apple make life simple I donā€™t have the same issues as I had with windows.

But whatever people have a choice I suspect there are those out their still running win XPā€¦..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back