URGENT: Update Chrome NOW! (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There is not much detail because any discussion of the detail would give too much information to bad actors. This usually indicates that it is trivial to exploit and serious in nature.
UPDATE NOW!!

Latest Version is: 112.0.5615.121

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Nothing on the Google Chrome page in the play store.

That's where updates are usually shown.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Nothing on the Google Chrome page in the play store.

That's where updates are usually shown.
Start Chrome, Goto "Help" {via Phill D 's "the 3 dots to right top corner" :LOL:} then choose "About Google Chrome"
Updates auto install from there (y)

edit: How "About Chrome" looks after the patch: -
1681574690599.png

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
From Grom's linked article: -
Users are recommended to upgrade to version 112.0.5615.121 for Windows, macOS, and Linux to mitigate potential threats. Users of Chromium-based browsers such as Microsoft Edge, Brave, Opera, and Vivaldi are also advised to apply the fixes as and when they become available.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My phone had an update, my Linux desktop also required one.

I will check my windows install next time I boot it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Check all your software and update regularly or if your someone who forgets set it to auto update that way it’s not an issue :cool:(y)

Reactions: GJH

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
My Edge had a patch available now
1681575143819.png

but maybe one is inbound asap from this MS update today {Last updated April 15, 2023}:
Microsoft is aware of the recent exploits existing in the wild. We are actively working on releasing a security fix.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
My phone had an update, my Linux desktop also required one.

I will check my windows install next time I boot it.
My phone did have an update, but not too the latest version.
Screenshot_20230415-174143_Chrome.jpg

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Check all your software and update regularly or if your someone who forgets set it to auto update that way it’s not an issue :cool:(y)
Exactly. Get into the habit of at least being notified of update availability (and act on it) plus put in place an adequate backup regime for your usage and most (at least) problems can be avoided.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Seeing some discussion that this is a live exploit and some of the big boys are taking it extremely seriously.

By which I mean, think of a big company, they have many staff with laptops and desktops. IT depts being called in to force updates and track systems that are not reachable to force it. Sounding serious?

But these are just rumours nothing confirmed. But it is not often it gets blown up like this.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Seeing some discussion that this is a live exploit and some of the big boys are taking it extremely seriously.

By which I mean, think of a big company, they have many staff with laptops and desktops. IT depts being called in to force updates and track systems that are not reachable to force it. Sounding serious?

But these are just rumours nothing confirmed. But it is not often it gets blown up like this.
a large organisation will have automated systems to do the update, if they treat security seriously which many do, the endpoints can only connect to the internet via a vpn via the organisations intranet which means when the remote device connects a force update happens, it’s all automated which means there is not a need for large IT departments as the management and security systems do all the work.

Corporate Management and security software is big business and means much smaller IT departments, one person can install the security update which will update all corporate endpoints when they connect and that can be 10s of thousands of PC’s as an example.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
a large organisation will have automated systems to do the update, if they treat security seriously which many do, the endpoints can only connect to the internet via a vpn via the organisations intranet which means when the remote device connects a force update happens, it’s all automated which means there is not a need for large IT departments as the management and security systems do all the work.

Corporate Management and security software is big business and means much smaller IT departments, one person can install the security update which will update all corporate endpoints when they connect and that can be 10s of thousands of PC’s as an example.
Not debating this with you. I deal with this stuff for a living. I have contact with large corporates who have called in their IT staff. And yes I am fully aware of how the Windows systems operate on this front. You appear to have some knowledge in this area so understand that BYOD creates issues and with contractors coming and going, internal staff with fully registered systems are not the only concern.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Not debating this with you. I deal with this stuff for a living. I have contact with large corporates who have called in their IT staff. And yes I am fully aware of how the Windows systems operate on this front. You appear to have some knowledge in this area so understand that BYOD creates issues and with contractors coming and going, internal staff with fully registered systems are not the only concern.
If a corporate takes security seriously then BYOD may not be able to connect to core systems, they may be able to pick up emails or have a secure app, but unlike a corporate provided device they will not have full system access. So for example a BYOD may have access to say a pricing or product tool through a managed app but may not have browser access to the intranet via a browser, in which case the corporate may not care about the BOYD browser as it’s only the app that has connectivity and isolated as such.

SAP and Cisco Meraki are examples of companies that provide security products for BOYD

Yes there are people here who do have IT experience within the corporate world.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If a corporate takes security seriously then BYOD may not be able to connect to core systems, they may be able to pick up emails or have a secure app, but unlike a corporate provided device they will not have full system access. So for example a BYOD may have access to say a pricing or product tool through a managed app but may not have browser access to the intranet via a browser, in which case the corporate may not care about the BOYD browser as it’s only the app that has connectivity and isolated as such.

SAP and Cisco Meraki are examples of companies that provide security products for BOYD

Yes there are people here who do have IT experience within the corporate world.
I am not debating this with you. I am telling you IT depts have been called in. If you choose not to believe me then that is up to you.

As for BYOD not being an issue. BYOD device may not be forced to do policy based updates so they can/do have old versions of chrome running. They probably will be in the firewall DMZ and restricted from sensitive apps or other internal systems. BUT they will still have access to corporate emails for example and will then be in a position for spear phishing or intelligence gathering if compromised.

This is my last post on the subject. If you don't believe me or disagree that is your prerogative.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I was contacted yesterday by our head of IT and told to change my password. Don’t know if that was connected to all this but they don’t usually work on a Saturday.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I am not debating this with you. I am telling you IT depts have been called in. If you choose not to believe me then that is up to you.

As for BYOD not being an issue. BYOD device may not be forced to do policy based updates so they can/do have old versions of chrome running. They probably will be in the firewall DMZ and restricted from sensitive apps or other internal systems. BUT they will still have access to corporate emails for example and will then be in a position for spear phishing or intelligence gathering if compromised.

This is my last post on the subject. If you don't believe me or disagree that is your prerogative.
Its an interesting topic Grommet, I suspect if IT departments have been called in it won't be just for a Chrome update, there will be other security issues going on, we have seen Virgin, Vodaphone networks being disrupted along with WD shutting access for days. It would be a bit lame for IT departments to be called in just for a browser upgrade as they will have device management and security policies in place, which include forced browser / software upgrades security patches and forced password resets (password resets should be forced every x period anyway) . I suspect it more of an overall review of the organisations security, given the Russian situation cyber attack from multiple perspectives is probably more on thier minds.

You highlight BOYD which is a challenge for any organisation, but again policies can (and do need) be in place, rather than me blathering on there is as you know a pleather of info out there on how to keep organisations safe with management and security tools.

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 07.57.51.png

The Ultimate Guide to BYOD Security: Definition & More

So yes it is interesting to discuss but understand if you want to shut the discussion down that's fine by me.

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
So yes it is interesting to discuss but understand if you want to shut the discussion down that's fine by me.
I am not wanting to shut it down. I have told you IT depts have been called in due to this. I have this from a trusted source. If you don't want to believe me that is fine.
But there is nothing to discuss as far as I am concerned. I will leave you to it.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have told you IT depts have been called in due to this.
Thanks for the telling Gromett, in my mind I very much doubt it’s just for a browser upgrade the teams would be in every time there was a browser security issue which in many ways is not unusual, I suspect it’s a broader security review which may be linked to Chrome and other concerns 👍

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the telling Gromett, in my mind I very much doubt it’s just for a browser upgrade the teams would be in every time there was a browser security issue which in many ways is not unusual, I suspect it’s a broader security review which may be linked to Chrome and other concerns 👍
You can suspect all you want. I have it from the horses mouth that they have been called in specifically because of this.

For those not of a technical type may find this interesting.

Attack details not yet disclosed​

The high-severity zero-day vulnerability (CVE-2023-2033) is due to a high-severity type confusion weakness in the Chrome V8 JavaScript engine.

The bug was reported by Clement Lecigne of Google's Threat Analysis Group (TAG), whose primary goal is to defend Google customers from state-sponsored attacks.

Google TAG frequently discovers and reports zero-day bugs exploited in highly-targeted attacks by government-sponsored threat actors aiming to install spyware on devices of high-risk individuals, including journalists, opposition politicians, and dissidents worldwide.

Although type confusion flaws would generally allow attackers to trigger browser crashes after successful exploitation by reading or writing memory out of buffer bounds, threat actors can also exploit them for arbitrary code execution on compromised devices.

While Google said it knows of CVE-2023-2033 zero-day exploits used in attacks, the company has yet to share further information regarding these incidents.

"Access to bug details and links may be kept restricted until a majority of users are updated with a fix," Google said.

"We will also retain restrictions if the bug exists in a third party library that other projects similarly depend on, but haven't yet fixed."

This will allow Google Chrome users to upgrade their browsers and block attack attempts until technical details are released, allowing more threat actors to develop their own exploits.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Finally managed to downgrade to Win 10 despite Microsoft. Now need to spend another week deleting all the bloat :devil:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back